U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:35 AM

8,911 posts, read 2,635,191 times

Advertisements

not sure it would work but I like the part where poor people started paying a 20% tax for things they purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM

9,256 posts, read 4,113,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
I have my doubts about UBI, but I definitely see it's potential and is one of the better solutions to automation besides banning automation altogether which opens an entirely different can of worms.

The way I see it there will be a happy medium that companies will have to meet, on the one hand they want to cut down costs, i.e. automations, but if to many jobs and services become automated there will not be enough customers to drive their profit margins.

It kind of goes back to Henry Ford's philosophy/experiment where he gave his employees high wages so that they could buy his model Ts and prop up his company.

So in a world of automation where the majority of people don't earn enough to be consumers, the companies will have to agree to pool their money together hand it out to people and pay them to become consumers and then they compete amongst each other and try to recover as much as possible from that pool of money.

However I would imagine that getting paid to be a materialist consumer will not be so great psychologically on the individual nor society at large.
I think one concept that many people may not follow is that moneys handed to the poor go on up the economic chain. First to local store keepers, and than on up to larger vendors and owners. The dollars go to the middle and upper classes. Many seem to think that the dollar is wasted on a no count, and then that's it. The poor don't save, so the dollars go right into the economy as stimulus.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm in basic agreement that money should be earned by one's own effort and labor, but don't the wealthy often' collect off of others efforts, intellect and labor? I'm not saying they shouldn't at all, but it can be excessive.
That's capitalism and it helped make me rich. Not excessively so. But even Medicaid payments as low as they are at least helped pay the overhead for my medical office.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Can you list the programs that could be ended?
No, not all. But one very big one could be SS.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
not sure it would work but I like the part where poor people started paying a 20% tax for things they purchase.
Monetarily that's about as silly as taxing SS.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:13 AM

31,162 posts, read 17,027,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Until politicians in appeal to the senior vote decide to bring back or institute some form of mandatory retirement insurance... you know, so they dont die peniless on the streets

Old 09-10-2019, 09:25 AM

5,255 posts, read 2,904,087 times
Quote:
UBI cannot replace SS. There are 63 million people on SS. It is probably the biggest voting bloc in the US. Anyone proposing to do away with SS is committing political suicide.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:31 AM

6,771 posts, read 7,683,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
It is the idiotic idea of a political party that has lost its ****ing mind. Your math is admirable, but all you have to say is that we are already 22 trillion in debt.

UBI, universal healthcare, even for illegals, student loan forgiveness, green new deal...who the hell is going to pay for all of this?

If you are voting Democrat, you are intentionally trying to destroy this country, and are a traitor.
Nothing more needs to be said than this post. We need to do everything in our power to prevent the left from imposing this up to and including armed rebellion. This is not the Soviet Union folks, real Americans will not stand for this. Better yet the army needs to forcibly remove any government that attempts to make us a Marxist state, less bloodshed if they do it.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:42 AM

13,721 posts, read 4,241,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Whose money was risked? Who took the chance to start a business, knowing full well they could easily lose everything?

If someone who works for another wants to make more, they should risk their own money. They should work 80+ hours when they start their business, just to keep it afloat.

You people, those who want the big payout without any of the risk or sacrifice make me sick because there is absolutely NOTHING preventing you or others from doing the same.
That's just one scenario and story. Not every owner/manager risked their own money or started the business. A lot of employees risked a lot of money and invested time to become educated and investing in what ever else required to be employable. Besides you switched the argument from earning income by "one's own effort's, labor and intellect" to earning income by "risking money" and owning the income generating enterprise. Which is it?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:44 AM

2,185 posts, read 3,937,277 times
Quote:
So seniors who have been paying their whole life, who take in up to $3000/month on SS now will be reduced to live on $1000/month?

Edit: Average SS payout is around $1500. That's a 33% decrease in payout, on average, and significantly higher for many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or