U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is more dangerous?
Speech 14 73.68%
A gun 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 04:59 AM

30,880 posts, read 15,891,319 times

Advertisements

What do you think and why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:03 AM

I'm not sure if Hitler ever shot anyone (he may have(, but it was his rhetoric which was responsible for the death of millions.

I'm fairly certain Stalin personally shot a few people, but again, it was his rhetoric that was ultimately responsible for millions of his own countrymen that would die.

Old Today, 05:06 AM

63,687 posts, read 34,833,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I'm not sure if Hitler ever shot anyone (he may have(, but it was his rhetoric which was responsible for the death of millions.

I'm fairly certain Stalin personally shot a few people, but again, it was his rhetoric that was ultimately responsible for millions of his own countrymen that would die.
i think the obvious argument is that without guns their speeches would not have amounted to much.

Old Today, 05:12 AM

19,236 posts, read 9,318,929 times
A gun is just a tool that can be replaced by much more dangerous implements like bombs, fire, or a mob with clubs. Speech can incite people to violence to use all of the above in a very destructive manner. Guns are nothing compared to speech that incites mass numbers of people to commit violent acts.

Bed wetters, and the short sighted will pick guns.

Old Today, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
i think the obvious argument is that without guns their speeches would not have amounted to much.
Really?

So, before guns, speech was never used in such manners leading to the slaughter of people?

Lol.

BTW, do you have any familiarity with events transpiring in Africa in recent years?

Old Today, 05:25 AM

30,393 posts, read 16,744,047 times
In think the entity that uses guns to control speech is the biggest danger of all.

Old Today, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
In think the entity that uses guns to control speech is the biggest danger of all.
The Government has guns. It is just a legalized MOB that wants to control you. The PEOPLE must have a way to deter the government from oppressing them. That is the reason for the Second Amendment. It also helps to enforce the First Amendment.

Old Today, 06:10 AM

21,606 posts, read 10,405,579 times
I wish you would have added an option of 'both can be equally dangerous'.

Old Today, 06:22 AM

63,687 posts, read 34,833,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Really?

So, before guns, speech was never used in such manners leading to the slaughter of people?
Sure, but you are asking about speech & guns. Moving the goal posts already?

Quote:
BTW, do you have any familiarity with events transpiring in Africa in recent years?
Yes. They don't waste too much time talking. They let their AK-47s do the talking.

I am pro 2A, so I am presenting these arguments for the sake of the discussion.

Are you anti 1A, or is there another reason you'd want to limit speech?

Old Today, 06:23 AM

So, is the pen mightier than the sword, as the saying goes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies