U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:44 PM

18,565 posts, read 10,320,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Maybe people just don't have to drive trucks anymore. Maybe there are now plenty of other things that they can do.
The economy is fine. Wages are up.
Most of us don't drive semis around to do our shopping. We do, however, rely on those semis to keep the stores full.

Fewer truck sales means fewer goods to haul, which means a slowdown in the economy. Not good news.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:47 PM

67,479 posts, read 34,404,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...straight-month

Yet, Trump continues to say the economy is strong and Fed Chairman Powell says the Fed is not making a recession call.

I-35 is packed with 18 wheelers and box trucks, from Laredo to Dallas. [No Trucks In Left Lane]

Old Yesterday, 05:53 PM

576 posts, read 483,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njforlife92 View Post
https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...straight-month

Yet, Trump continues to say the economy is strong and Fed Chairman Powell says the Fed is not making a recession call.

That and container shipments, container sales, fuel for cargo ships, orders for cargo ships etc..

Yet Trump wants to highlight all the lagging indicators so all you supporters of his will go out and SPEND,SPEND,SPEND so he can get re-elected.

Folks save your money, hug your family, and hold on it's gonna get a lot worse. Regardless if the clown has his suit on or not.

Old Yesterday, 06:00 PM

576 posts, read 483,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Most of us don't drive semis around to do our shopping. We do, however, rely on those semis to keep the stores full.

Fewer truck sales means fewer goods to haul, which means a slowdown in the economy. Not good news.

Many truck unions have sold out and scabs run containers from the ports now depending where you are. I know because I used to bring containers in.

I've looked at cargo reports and they're down across the board. Just wait and watch for layoffs at Amazon after Q4. They'll try to disguise it as temporary seasonal jobs but we all should know better.

Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

4,975 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZUMAN View Post
dRATs hate those big gas guzzling trucks anyway but they are praying for a recession. Only way dRATs have a chance for beating DJT.
Feel better now that you attempted to show your Trumpisms by calling other names?

Old Yesterday, 07:23 PM

4,975 posts, read 1,001,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I-35 is packed with 18 wheelers and box trucks, from Laredo to Dallas. [No Trucks In Left Lane]

Better tell it to these guys:
https://www.businessinsider.com/truc...stanley-2019-7

or these guys:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...ob-loss-2019-7

Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM

14,063 posts, read 8,814,851 times
Quote:

The last line in the link explained it somewhat......
....The industry continues to deal with bloated backlogs as a result of aggressive ordering in 2018, coupled with headwinds from the ongoing trade war and the onset of a recession......
Companies are just holding off to see what the trade war develops into. On top of that they have not received what they ordered during 2018.

Nothing will convince the NeverTrumpers, but here's a link showing that Truck freight tonnage jumped in August. The 2,000,000 18 wheelers on the road are taking care of it.

Quote:
....The ATA’s seasonally adjusted For-Hire Truck Tonnage Index jumped 7.1 percent in August, compared with a 0.5 percent gain in July. The index was up 2.1 percent during the same month a year earlier.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM

14,063 posts, read 8,814,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Better tell it to these guys:
https://www.businessinsider.com/truc...stanley-2019-7
Nice try. But the article clearly states the overall economy is healthy.

or these guys:

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-...ob-loss-2019-7

That article just reiterates what art #1 said. The industry is cyclical and over ordered in 2018.
Nice try, but there is no world with zero layoffs where everyone makes more than the year before, year after year.

Old Today, 08:51 AM

34,896 posts, read 18,911,540 times
Quote:

Unless they bought MORE truck the year prior, just like the article very clearly stated, ....no slowdown, economy is doing great.....

Old Today, 12:47 PM

10,081 posts, read 2,479,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackF View Post
Nah, I'll stand by my post that folks that hope and pray for an economic collapse because they hate the President so much is beyond disgusting
Myth.

Some people might say that, I don't know who, although one person I saw post that sentiment was not an American.

No serious person of any political persuasion wants an economic collapse, nor wish it upon anyone. For me personally it would be devastating, and I have lived (and suffered) through several. It's a stupid idea.

I want people to reject Trump because it is the right thing to do. The moral thing to do, the patriotic thing to do. Trump needs to go because he is a moral midget, he is corrupt, and he is a traitor to the American people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or