U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should autistic and other mentally disabled (not ill)] people have gun rights granted?
Yes 20 46.51%
No 15 34.88%
Don't have enough word or opinion to know 8 18.60%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:16 AM

10,303 posts, read 4,789,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Exactly! We don't have a gun problem in this nation. We have a people problem. Especially in our most liberal cities. Mentally ill and drug users are allowed to commit crimes, both property and physical assaults, with no repercussions. Violent criminals are let loose time after time with no or minimal prison sentences.

We need to bring back long prison sentences for criminals and forced institutionalization of the mentally ill and drug abusers (after a court adjudication to determine their competency). Of all the bad, damaging ideas of liberals, closing mental institutions and turning the mentally ill lose on our streets was perhaps the worst and most harmful.
Reagan was involved in closing the mental institutions. Of course, he also pushed through the first gun control laws, so maybe he was a liberal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:43 AM

2,803 posts, read 851,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Reagan was involved in closing the mental institutions. Of course, he also pushed through the first gun control laws, so maybe he was a liberal.
Communist racist dictator

Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM

20,350 posts, read 14,467,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Assuming the autist doesn't have a complex history of being institutionalized

So yes or no and why?
Um, have you not read the DSM?

Obviously not.

Autism is a "spectrum disorder."

Saying someone has autism is like saying you had dessert.

Get it?

What kind of dessert? Cake, pie, tort, ice cream, etc etc.

Get it now?

Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum.

So, when you say "autism" that also includes those with Asperger's Syndrome.

Sorry to wreck your thread, but you should research before posting.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Um, have you not read the DSM?

Obviously not.

Autism is a "spectrum disorder."

Saying someone has autism is like saying you had dessert.

Get it?

What kind of dessert? Cake, pie, tort, ice cream, etc etc.

Get it now?

Asperger's is part of the autism spectrum.

So, when you say "autism" that also includes those with Asperger's Syndrome.

Sorry to wreck your thread, but you should research before posting.
Hey don't look at me, I am just mocking the generalized usage people who lack knowledge on the topic of autism, use

I am autistic myself, but I am also very extroverted, confident, don't have a very deformed face, the closest would be my constant brain scaterring I sometimes have in the middle of a sentence, etc

even then those things didn't prevent me from dealing with hardship and bullying, apparently most people get the feeling I am at least in special education due to the speech impediment I have which comes from having 2 ethnic backgrounds anyways, go figure

Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM

2,369 posts, read 892,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
No one with mental issues should have a firearm. That being said, how is that to be determined ? Current laws state one has to be adjudicated legally with mental issues. That leaves the door open to a whole host of other issues that never make it to that point.

That is why, I feel the HIPA laws should be relaxed and certain things shared with the NICS so that the FFL can make the decision on the transfer.
I agree...history of depression, anger issues, bpd, sociopath, psychopath, etc...should not be able to own a gun.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:21 PM

6,707 posts, read 3,705,098 times
Aspergers was taken off the Autism spectrum several years ago.It is now in it's own category. Having worked in the field, I can say this was a very good move. The majority of public would never know one of their coworkers had Aspergers.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:28 PM

1,593 posts, read 332,614 times
Studies on a link between Autism and violence have found no conclusive evidence, although there do appear to be risk factors. It's not clear to me how society can mitigate those risks without some type of informed management, such as institutionalization or caretaking.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:29 PM

289 posts, read 49,223 times
I'm not crazy about anybody owning a gun. But I'm not sure its a good idea for them to be able to own a gun. At least with Aspergers there can be problems with social interactions where they have difficulty reading faces and understanding someone else's point of view/emotional reactions. I believe its referred to as being mind blind. That could possibly cause a problem and if a gun was involved wouldn't be good.

Old Today, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Studies on a link between Autism and violence have found no conclusive evidence, although there do appear to be risk factors. It's not clear to me how society can mitigate those risks without some type of informed management, such as institutionalization or caretaking.
Unfortunately that kind of stuff will only de-recognize the social atrocities of hi functioning autists and aspies

Heh, it is what it is

Old Today, 07:19 AM

11,364 posts, read 6,635,299 times
Sure, it should not automatically preclude a person from having a gun. Obviously, the level of impairment would be a factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or