U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 01:36 PM

552 posts, read 478,857 times

Advertisements

I'm curious as to where you guys stand with this?

The easiest way to do this is to provide Americans with publicly funded vouchers they can use to donate to politicians that they support. Every American gets $100 a year to give to candidates, use it or lose it. These Democracy Dollars would, by the sheer volume of the US population, drown out the influence of mega-donors.

Imagine running for office when every American has $100 Democracy Dollars to give to their favorite candidate. Just 10,000 supporters could mean $1 million for your campaign. Once elected, you could act primarily in the interest of the people you represent instead of appeasing wealthy donors and corporations. Calling rich people for money is soul-crushing. Wed all be better off if politicians only needed to worry about representing the people that elected them.

It has been used in Seattle to great effect, and we can take their program national to move towards publicly funded elections.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/democracydollars/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 01:38 PM

32,590 posts, read 20,512,491 times
I am all for taking money out of campaigns, taking away lobby money and the like. No good comes from it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 01:51 PM

10,361 posts, read 8,250,128 times
Amend the constitution that reads
Spending money on campaigns shall be considered the amplification of speech and not speech. As such, it is subject to spending limits. Such dollar limits shall be equal for all sides.

This will happen the first of never but neither will the idea in the OP.

Old Today, 01:57 PM

52,678 posts, read 42,316,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I am all for taking money out of campaigns, taking away lobby money and the like. No good comes from it.
It's a noble goal but the minute you close off one source they find another loophole where you can donate unlimited money, or they run their own commercials or a thousand other tricks.

I've reached the point where I just have to pick my battles and I don't see this one as winnable.

Old Today, 01:59 PM

552 posts, read 478,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's a noble goal but the minute you close off one source they find another loophole where you can donate unlimited money, or they run their own commercials or a thousand other tricks.

I've reached the point where I just have to pick my battles and I don't see this one as winnable.

Are we in such a bad place with voter confidence that this isn't appealing? How else can "they" be rid from our govt?

Old Today, 02:07 PM

32,590 posts, read 20,512,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

I'm not sure I completely agree, but honestly, I don't know enough about this area. I would love if Freaknomics or someone I trust would write a book on the topic (they did cover it in a podcast), but something REALLY needs to be done.

I do believe our system is corrupt, but not beyond repair.

But it's not like I can do anything about it.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Today, 02:13 PM

7,795 posts, read 3,268,116 times
A misleading, content-deprived, and hyperbolic candidacy ad will still be misleading, content-deprived, and hyperbolic no matter how many times the campaign budget can afford to run it. If all campaigns had the same budget to spend they might actually need to say something of substance. Rue the day voters have to engage their brains before making a decision.

Old Today, 02:38 PM

13,203 posts, read 7,907,252 times
Anything that will force candidates to run on their merits rather than special interest's cash would be a blessing.

Old Today, 02:41 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,212,116 times
It's an easy functional fix, not the permanent fix. The permanent fix would be of course to remove lobbyists in general by outlawing them.

But until then, I'm fine with this functional fix.

Old Today, 02:42 PM

18,000 posts, read 19,997,372 times
What about the volunteer free labor the unions do? What about the liberal media pumping up their candidates? If you want a fair fight, at least make it a fair fight....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or