U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old Today, 02:27 PM
 
546 posts, read 478,857 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

suicides — that’s 23,854 people who took their own lives with a gun[10].

“Most of them are older, white men,” says Bindu Kalesan, an epidemiologist and data scientist at Boston University’s School of Medicine. In a 2018 study on suicide in the U.S. due to firearms, Kalesan found that the average American firearm suicide is a married, white male over 50, with physical health issues[11].



In a separate study, Kalesan discovered another demographic group taking the brunt of firearm-related loss of life expectancy: black men under age 20, who were dying from homicide. Because black male firearm homicides were much younger, on average, than white male suicides, the group’s life expectancy saw the bigger reduction, by more than four years[12].



Women, meanwhile, make up around 10 percent of all U.S. gun deaths[13] and, according to a study of 220 case histories published in the American Journal of Public Health, they are far more likely than men to be killed by an intimate partner. A 2014 review published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found some evidence that women with access to firearms are more likely to be victims of homicides than women without, possibly due to intimate partner violence[14].



Overall, the rate of gun homicide is 25 times higher in the U.S. than in other high-income countries[15] — for comparison, the rate of U.S. homicides due to causes other than firearms is only 2.7 times higher[16]. And data from the FBI shows that handguns are by far the most likely type of firearm to cause a fatality. In 2017, handguns were used in 7,032 of the 7,886 firearm-related homicide deaths where the type of weapon was known; the type of gun was not recorded in data on roughly 3,100 additional homicides[17].

https://discovermagazine.com/bonus/gunviolence
Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 02:32 PM
 
Location: SM
25,926 posts, read 10,001,595 times
Reputation: 9981
Individuals have the right to take their own life as they see fit provided that they don't violate the non-aggression principle in the process.

Individuals have absolute property rights meaning that they can own anything on earth as long as they acquired it via true capitalism (made, bought, traded, received in charity). The only way to compromise your natural rights, as in owning a gun/weapon, is to violate the non-aggression principle.

It's so easy, folks. Even a caveman can do it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYottyI027o
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:40 PM
 
546 posts, read 478,857 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Individuals have the right to take their own life as they see fit provided that they don't violate the non-aggression principle in the process.

Individuals have absolute property rights meaning that they can own anything on earth as long as they acquired it via true capitalism (made, bought, traded, received in charity). The only way to compromise your natural rights, as in owning a gun/weapon, is to violate the non-aggression principle.

It's so easy, folks. Even a caveman can do it.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYottyI027o

I'm all for people making their own decisions with suicide. I'm even for abortion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:44 PM
 
Location: Lakeside, CA
169 posts, read 15,325 times
Reputation: 104
Wait a minute, NorCal 77......I thought you were pretty much an anti-gunner......??
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:49 PM
 
546 posts, read 478,857 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Wait a minute, NorCal 77......I thought you were pretty much an anti-gunner......??

Not even... less guns not zero.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:56 PM
 
13,154 posts, read 4,792,647 times
Reputation: 5390
Age discrimination in the job market is rampant, and since health care absurdly enough is tied to employment, its a brutal reality for a lot of men in their 50s and 60s. No job, no health care, at a very vulnerable age when disease can hit anyone.

No wonder people are calling for a national health care system. The current system is simply inhumane. Not only for the disabled and the senior citizens, but also those below retirement age.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:57 PM
 
9,680 posts, read 6,038,835 times
Reputation: 6587
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
suicides — that’s 23,854 people who took their own lives with a gun[10].

“Most of them are older, white men,” says Bindu Kalesan, an epidemiologist and data scientist at Boston University’s School of Medicine. In a 2018 study on suicide in the U.S. due to firearms, Kalesan found that the average American firearm suicide is a married, white male over 50, with physical health issues[11].



In a separate study, Kalesan discovered another demographic group taking the brunt of firearm-related loss of life expectancy: black men under age 20, who were dying from homicide. Because black male firearm homicides were much younger, on average, than white male suicides, the group’s life expectancy saw the bigger reduction, by more than four years[12].



Women, meanwhile, make up around 10 percent of all U.S. gun deaths[13] and, according to a study of 220 case histories published in the American Journal of Public Health, they are far more likely than men to be killed by an intimate partner. A 2014 review published in the Annals of Internal Medicine found some evidence that women with access to firearms are more likely to be victims of homicides than women without, possibly due to intimate partner violence[14].



Overall, the rate of gun homicide is 25 times higher in the U.S. than in other high-income countries[15] — for comparison, the rate of U.S. homicides due to causes other than firearms is only 2.7 times higher[16]. And data from the FBI shows that handguns are by far the most likely type of firearm to cause a fatality. In 2017, handguns were used in 7,032 of the 7,886 firearm-related homicide deaths where the type of weapon was known; the type of gun was not recorded in data on roughly 3,100 additional homicides[17].

https://discovermagazine.com/bonus/gunviolence



So basically 60% of the gun's intended result could have been accomplished with a rope.


Good to know.


.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:17 PM
 
546 posts, read 478,857 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Age discrimination in the job market is rampant, and since health care absurdly enough is tied to employment, its a brutal reality for a lot of men in their 50s and 60s. No job, no health care, at a very vulnerable age when disease can hit anyone.

No wonder people are calling for a national health care system. The current system is simply inhumane. Not only for the disabled and the senior citizens, but also those below retirement age.

You make some great points. Unfortunately it's only going to get worse in the coming years.


The sad part is the writing is on the wall for all the above and is only going to get worse under Trump. He will pad the pockets of the rich, keep jacking up the record decficit, and ride the economy down all the while blaming Obama, Senate,House,etc.. and won't take an ounce of responsibility. Sad since he has Executive Powers and can actually counteract some economic measures.


Hopefully this group of people vote with their feet in 2020 and don't buy the empty rhetoric Trump is forcing on everyone.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 05:19 PM
 
546 posts, read 478,857 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
So basically 60% of the gun's intended result could have been accomplished with a rope.


Good to know.


.

Suicide is a selfish act.. I'd "guess" some feel they're entitled and someone should clean up the bloody mess after them?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top