U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2019, 11:10 PM

3,114 posts, read 3,304,911 times

Advertisements

Link to NewYorker article

Quote:
New documents show that the M.I.T. Media Lab was aware of Epsteinís status as a convicted sex offender, and that Epstein directed contributions to the lab far exceeding the amounts M.I.T. has publicly admitted.
How moral do we expect our institutions to be? Should they accept money from this kind of person IF the long-term results benefit the population (or govenrment/military) ?

There is no doubt everyone is scrabbling for money these days and mega-donators do not come along every day, but when should these organisations decline a donation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2019, 11:13 PM

31,288 posts, read 15,982,295 times
They should keep it. Period.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:45 PM

1,837 posts, read 451,374 times
Speaking of Epstein and M.I.T., the famed computer scientist Richard Stallman put his pinch of salt about Epstein victims.
https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/9...tirely-willing

Quote:
Richard Stallman, the computer scientist best known for his role in the free software movement, has joined the list of MIT men going out of their way to defend the university’s relationships with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein.

Selam Jie Gano, an MIT alum, posted on Medium about an email thread in which Stallman argued that the late Marvin Minsky—an AI pioneer accused of assaulting one of Epstein's victims, Virginia Giuffre—had not actually assaulted anyone.
Looks like the M.I.T. can't catch a break.

Old Today, 05:52 AM

1,837 posts, read 451,374 times
I apologize for bumping this tread but Richard Stallman had resigned from the Free Software Foundation and his position at the MIT due to his comments about Epstein.
https://www.fsf.org/news/richard-m-stallman-resigns
https://outline.com/bhmeZN

Quote:
Famed open source advocate and computer scientist Richard Stallman has resigned from MIT, according to an email he published online. The resignation comes after Stallman made comments about victims of child trafficker Jeffrey Epstein, including that the victims went along with the abuse willingly.

"I am resigning effective immediately from my position in CSAIL at MIT," Stallman wrote in the email, referring to MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory. "I am doing this due to pressure on MIT and me over a series of misunderstandings and mischaracterizations."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies