Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:17 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Weight is not a protected class.

75% of US adults are overweight/ obese.
Which leads to diabetes..which leads to kidney failure. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:20 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Which leads to diabetes..which leads to kidney failure. ...
And high medical costs for all of us.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:21 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Spoiler alert -- Not all large folks are large because of "personal faults." And I have to say those chairs looked pretty tough to me. Props to the lady for not letting herself go which is apparently what some of the folks onn this board thinks she should do.
Somehow my wife manages to do her own nails twice a week.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:22 AM

3,743 posts, read 1,440,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
This does not even make sense. What does this have to do with the story?
This has to do alot when it comes to black folks especially on social media. This story will cause a Twitter storm and black social media. Example look at what happened in Chicago last week.

The fat black woman is goign to be defended by the pro black who will do boycotts non black owned nail salons. Even though she is over weight. She is also a Queen, a black Queen at that. Well not for me, but for those who subscribe to pro black ideology and big girl fetish.

https://youtu.be/9b8e5XNfgVI

https://youtu.be/OONrd9pJsJA

Last edited by Checkmarkblue; 09-10-2019 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 08:25 AM

8,166 posts, read 6,917,406 times
I'm sure it's not easy to go through life being very overweight. I'm not going to judge this woman because I don't know her, personally. (The mean comments on this thread aimed at her weight, are just that. MEAN.) However, as far as the nail salon...So what were to happen if the chair DID break or she fell off of the chair, etc. and she was injured? Perhaps Rose's Nail Salon would soon be getting a lawsuit filed against them?

The business owner has every right to refuse service.
Perfect opportunity for another person to start a nail salon and offer larger chairs that cater to a larger clientele.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM

39,205 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Of course blame 'discrimination' for your own personal faults.

It is perfectly legal to refuse service and such things due to weight as weight is not a protected class.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/nail...001818810.html
Even though this large woman was pissed off, I have to ask, what is the difference between the salon owner who doesn't have chair big enough and a clothing shop owner doesn't carry her size of clothing? Why is this a discrimination issue? Sometimes, you just don't get what you are looking for, this is life, size has nothing to do with it.

My mom owns seven chain stores in the shopping malls, my fiance's family owns 16 chain Italian restaurants, this sort of things happened once or twice. We don't always carry stuff everybody wants; his family restaurants don't necessarily have low sodium dishes.. All we do is to offer an alternative item at a discount price. If you don't want it, go somewhere else, of course as a retailer, you must be polite and professional at all time.

Give her a manicure at discounted price, problem solved.

The last thing you as a shop owner should say is "You are too big". "You are too picky" "You are too short" "Your face is too yellow to wear this color" lol etc etc etc. It looks like the shop owner needs some sensitivity lesson if he or she wants to stay in business. But let's not make it a discrimination issue. Yikes!

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 09-10-2019 at 08:39 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 08:30 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
i guess the salon is expected to foot the bill for mega-chairs to seat their mega-clients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Somehow my wife manages to do her own nails twice a week.
sure, but i'll bet your wife can see her feet without having to use a mirror..

Old 09-10-2019, 08:51 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
And high medical costs for all of us.
Yeah, but they don't draw on social security until they're 95 either.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:15 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
She’s pretty large and the chairs can only handle so much weight.
This.

It's a common sense thing.

It's sad she cannot accept the limitations of her size. I do not feel sorry for her at all.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:18 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
People are getting so big that the MRI machines used 10 years ago will no longer fit most people.
I've worked in medical and some breathing machines don't work well with obese people. And osme of the hoyer lifts won't take their weights if they are over 500 pounds. There are all kinds of issues. People need to ask themselves how they are getting to over 500 pounds. They'll say it's their metabolism and "bad genes". They will blame it on anything but over-eating. But obesity like this wasn't common 50 years ago so it's not genetics. They're lying. I won't censor my speech.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies