U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 07:46 AM

3,489 posts, read 5,287,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
is that what the salesman told you? lol
No salesman involved. I sized the rooftop solar system myself, bought the panels and parts directly from a local solar distributor, printed a schematic for best roof location, and had my roofer install the panels. My local power company tuned it, approved it, and plugged me into the electric grid. No monthly electric bills since they turned it on.

Rooftop solar systems are not rocket science. You don't need a hyped-up profit-hungry solar company. I did get a lot of help from the people at: Forums - Solar Panels - Solar Panels Forum.

The EV (electric car) was an unexpected bonus. Since I converted all of my home lighting to LED lamps, I now use a lot less electricity than when I originally measured my usage. So I bought an electric car and power it with the excess electricity I generate. I now have a fast electric car and no gasoline bills. I occasionally drive by my Costco gas station and just wave to my old friends.

My total cost was about $15k not including my many late-nite hours of research. No electric bills, no gasoline costs... who could ask for anything more. I haven't even filed for the city, state, and federal tax credits yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:49 AM

9,636 posts, read 2,933,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
An article in the BBC News confirms what I have stated for years regarding the financial scam that is solar electricity. These systems simply cannot pay for themselves... and that's before failures and regular replacements. It's even worse if the system has batteries to remove the person from the grid.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49566130

Enjoy.
That's in the bloody UK, has anyone ever researched how cloudy it is in the UK?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Oh, so you turned down the subsidies to install them?
No I didn't turn down the subsidies. I just didn't apply for them yet. Free money is good. I'll take every free dollar I can get.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
That's in the bloody UK, has anyone ever researched how cloudy it is in the UK?
I live in coastal California. We get a lot of foggy days. Maybe not as foggy as the UK but you just need to factor in the probable percentage of foggy days. Solar panels are so efficient these days, I can get about 10-15kwh of power production even on the most foggy of days.

The real factor of concern is the hours of daylight you get. In the summer, I get a lot of daylight hours. In the winter, my daylight hours drop dramatically. In the USA, your electric company banks your electric over-production for 1 year. It's like a virtual AC battery. I can use my excess electric production whenever I want. Day or nite.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 AM

9,636 posts, read 2,933,748 times
In NW Europe, even the summers are pretty cloudy. Plus in winter, since it's so far north, gets very little sunlight at all (London is as far north as the northern tip of Newfoundland Island). Coastal California, even with the fogs, is sunny by comparison, plus it's a lot farther south.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:59 AM

454 posts, read 123,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Without government subsidies, it's just not worth the cost to the majority of homeowners.
Unless you live in SoCal - esp San Diego where SDG&E practically rapes us with their charges.

I put solar up 4 years ago and with all of the rate hikes and shenanigans to dupe/confuse customers with TOU schedules I've saved enough to be 'even' in just another 2 years.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:02 AM

11,988 posts, read 8,647,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Why is there a "we" in any of it? Electricity providers should be privately owned.
They are. And my state is deregulated. But we, the user will pay for what we use, and then some.

What's the difference in my pocket if the taxpayer subsidizes a product or the user is required to pay for an something they will never use.

That distribution network has no effect on getting electricity to my house. I will not live long enough to see the end user. It is not me, but my bill for distribution just went up.

My electricity bill is devided into 2 parts. One for actual electricity that is sold and billed by any number of companies and the distribution which is provided by the network owner, Centerpoint.

Instead of municipal provided utilities, I get to support the manufacturing electricity business, the distributing the electricity business and the billing for use business.

DH worked for a regulated monopoly utility company for years. The officers and board really enjoyed the benefits when it became deregulated.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:01 AM

19,890 posts, read 12,512,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
An article in the BBC News confirms what I have stated for years regarding the financial scam that is solar electricity. These systems simply cannot pay for themselves... and that's before failures and regular replacements. It's even worse if the system has batteries to remove the person from the grid.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49566130

Enjoy.

Liberals will embrace these marginal sources of energy without fully thinking things through.

How about geothermal? We know it works and we have an unlimited source of energy through those sources.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:08 AM

1,602 posts, read 339,220 times
Quote:
If it needs a subsidy, it isn't viable.
Coal and oil industries are heavily subsidized.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:10 AM

2,337 posts, read 482,973 times
Quote:
If it needs a subsidy, it isn't viable.
Kinda like how we’re subsidizing farmers because of the recently imposed Tariffs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or