U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:24 PM

9,389 posts, read 2,657,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The problem illustrated in the article is not solar panels, it is unscrupulous businesses.
Correct and that was a huge problem especially in the early days of Obama's solar program. Not his fault.... The fault of those selling.

My brother's company sold them and there were good choices out there. There were also bad choices . Companies selling out of date obsolete systems for premium prices etc.

The first thing my bro's company did was evaluate whether or not it made sense for you to do it. In other words a cost benefit analysis. If you lived in say a 1200 sqft. your average power bill was $60 a month, then maybe the units weren't for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 PM

12,109 posts, read 15,721,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The problem illustrated in the article is not solar panels, it is unscrupulous businesses.
Trump followers can barely read, please donít expect them to comprehend the story. It screws with their parroted narrative talking points.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:58 PM

31,128 posts, read 32,048,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
An article in the BBC News confirms what I have stated for years regarding the financial scam that is solar electricity. These systems simply cannot pay for themselves... and that's before failures and regular replacements. It's even worse if the system has batteries to remove the person from the grid.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49566130

Enjoy.
And millions are happy with their solar power.

https://www.cleanenergyreviews.info/...-panels-review

Old 09-10-2019, 08:00 PM

19,291 posts, read 9,978,406 times
Quote:
An article in the BBC News confirms what I have stated for years regarding the financial scam that is solar electricity. These systems simply cannot pay for themselves... and that's before failures and regular replacements. It's even worse if the system has batteries to remove the person from the grid.

Enjoy.
Yep, we bought the solar panels and it's been a hassle. Wouldn't recommend it...stick to coal and gas.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:04 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,298,700 times
Do the solar panels ever need to be replaced? Ed Begley always cleaned his frequently. Is that needed? I have a really steep, high roof.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:34 PM

9,644 posts, read 2,933,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Lol.

Very funny read.

I especially liked the bit where you said the electricity difference beteeen regular bulbs and LED bulbs was enough to charge an electric car. That was hysterical.

I wonder how many people didn't know your post was satire.
There there now. I know it might be hard to fathom that some people actually find the panels work, and are satisfied with them, but I regret to inform you that it does happen.

Typical right-wing response: Doesn't fit your preconceived notion of what should be, so it's labeled a lie.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:36 PM

31,128 posts, read 32,048,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Lol.

Very funny read.

I especially liked the bit where you said the electricity difference beteeen regular bulbs and LED bulbs was enough to charge an electric car. That was hysterical.

I wonder how many people didn't know your post was satire.
I use 13 watt LED bulbs...They are equivalent to 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I have 22 of them that have been in use for five years, and none have burnt out...

Lets do the math...LEDS 22 x 13 = 286 watts....Incandescent 22 x 60 = 1320 watts...I guess I need a few more bulbs.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:31 PM

1,462 posts, read 508,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
Do the solar panels ever need to be replaced? Ed Begley always cleaned his frequently. Is that needed? I have a really steep, high roof.
Yes they need replacing. There is a slow, gradual degradation of their efficiency over time. There is a reason why most solar companies have 20 year leases.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 AM

3,489 posts, read 5,287,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
I read numerous studies about cleaning solar panels. Yes, they need to be cleaned. However, we get just enough rain here in San Diego that my solar panels require no cleaning.

We had a family (old friends) stay with us from Phoenix during the Labor Day week. They were curious about our solar panels and our zero cost electric bill. So I penciled up a cost/benefit analysis of solar power on their house in Phoenix. Electricity from their power company is so cheap in Phoenix that solar panels make no sense. It's cheaper for them to buy electricity from their power company. In fact, we Googled the rooftops in their neighborhood and very few of their neighbors had solar panels.

A solar-powered home doesn't work everywhere. But Southern CA was made for a solar-powered home. By state mandate, all new homes built in 2020 and beyond must be solar-powered.

Also, no matter how many solar panels and batteries you have, you cannot remove yourself from the electrical grid. The cost is $5 per month. If my solar system fails, a sensor will automatically shift our house to 100% purchased power.

Last edited by cruitr; 09-11-2019 at 12:09 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 02:28 AM

1,212 posts, read 424,571 times
Quote:

Enjoy.
Depends on how expensive your electricity is. Here in Australia its fairly expensive. I can assure you from long term personal experience that the panels pay off here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or