U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 04:05 PM

9,540 posts, read 17,622,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Solar panels are cheap, but the batteries and electronic equipment to make solar panels work are NOT cheap.
You don't need batteries to make solar work. We don't have batteries, and our solar pays our entire electric bill. We send our surplus electricity to the grid during the day for $.50/KWh, and buy it back at night for $.12/KWh. I love that.

You only need batteries if you're off the grid or for backup in case of a power-failure (something we're considering.)

Likewise, the electronics for solar is very minimal now. I'm sure it's changed greatly since you installed yours 22 years ago. Our system contains no central inverter. Instead, each panel has it's own "microinverter" which connects directly to the grid. Aside from the panels, we have one little box for monitoring which gets the status and power output for each panel via some intelligence in the microinverters and provides reports in real-time using a phone app or a webpage and for archiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 PM

6,751 posts, read 2,056,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
An article in the BBC News confirms what I have stated for years regarding the financial scam that is solar electricity. These systems simply cannot pay for themselves... and that's before failures and regular replacements. It's even worse if the system has batteries to remove the person from the grid. Enjoy.
Does it ever occur to you that sometimes a person chooses to do something because it's the right thing to do, even if it's not profitable?

Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 PM

8,544 posts, read 2,496,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Yup.

Solar Panels Near Break-Even Point

Interesting WK never provides links to back up his/her/its claims, and doesn't want people using Google.
The link you provided was produced by an advocacy group...

Old 09-11-2019, 04:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 2,927,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
The link you provided was produced by an advocacy group...
If you had read the article you would have noticed their original sources were the journal Nature and the Economist:
https://www.nature.com/articles/ncomms13728
https://www.economist.com/science-an...is-solar-power

Old 09-11-2019, 05:39 PM

11,315 posts, read 5,009,510 times
If people living in the UK of all places were persuaded to buy *solar* panels, well...I've got oceanfront property in Lesotho to sell them.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:04 PM

30,496 posts, read 16,776,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Does it ever occur to you that sometimes a person chooses to do something because it's the right thing to do, even if it's not profitable?
Ive got a nano second, tell us all the sacrifices you've willingly made

Old 09-11-2019, 10:30 PM

31,127 posts, read 32,042,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Your own link says they are not at break even.

Epic fail. You just proved what providing a link from Google means.

I was proved right yet again. The big nasty secret of Solar Cell technology is they are not net producers of energy and they can't exist without massive Government subsidies. i.e. People are forced to pay for them who don't want them.
From the same linked site....

Quote:
The break-even point for all of the PV panels manufactured worldwide between 1975 and 2015 falls no later than 2018, and could even have already occurred, as early as 1997.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM

2,526 posts, read 687,984 times
On the other side I know a couple who had a quality solar job done on their 3,000 sqft house. But they are in SoCal where the sun blasts just about every day. They run the place at 72 degrees just for fun, they always have a credit so they gleefully waste power just because they can.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:07 AM

1,596 posts, read 336,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If people living in the UK of all places were persuaded to buy *solar* panels, well...I've got oceanfront property in Lesotho to sell them.
Solar panels work better in cooler temperatures, so it partly balances out the latitude.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:49 PM

3,487 posts, read 5,286,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vf6cruiser View Post
On the other side I know a couple who had a quality solar job done on their 3,000 sqft house. But they are in SoCal where the sun blasts just about every day. They run the place at 72 degrees just for fun, they always have a credit so they gleefully waste power just because they can.
I'm not that couple but my rooftop solar system is producing more power than I could ever use. We have no central AC. The cold Pacific Ocean cools our house naturally. So I'm giving all the EV cars in my 'hood a free high-speed charge. I'm making lots of friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or