Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 06:08 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Without government subsidies, it's just not worth the cost to the majority of homeowners.
I had solar panels installed on my roof last year. Here in San Diego, our electricity is very expensive. Over 50 cents per kwh. My rooftop solar system will pay for itself in about 4-5 years with zero maintenance.

My solar system produces an excess of electricity. So I use that electricity to power my electric cars. Imagine driving a car that does 0-60mph in 4 seconds with zero gasoline and no oil costs.

And I haven't even factored in my tax credits. Solar power will easily survive without gov't subsidies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 06:19 AM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
I had solar panels installed on my roof last year. Here in San Diego, our electricity is very expensive. Over 50 cents per kwh. My rooftop solar system will pay for itself in about 4-5 years with zero maintenance.

My solar system produces an excess of electricity. So I use that electricity to power my electric cars. Imagine driving a car that does 0-60mph in 4 seconds with zero gasoline and no oil costs.

And I haven't even factored in my tax credits. Solar power will easily survive without gov't subsidies.
is that what the salesman told you? lol

Old 09-10-2019, 07:00 AM

24,392 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Green energy is a scam. We keep getting solicitations to change energy providers for lower costs from solar and windmill producers but then they raise your rates after a short time.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:01 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
If it needs a subsidy, it isn't viable.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:08 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:

Oh, so you turned down the subsidies to install them?

Lemme check my wallet...

*opens it up to find a lone gum wrapper*

Yep, you took them.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:09 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
If it needs a subsidy, it isn't viable.
We need to also figure in the cost of new power plants and keeping the distribution system up and running.

Houston just had a rate increase due to the distribution. Current user are now paying for potential users 10 years down the road.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:18 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,753,799 times
Quote:

San Diego gets several times more solar irradiance in a year. So if it takes 5 years for your system to pay for itself, it's understandable if the punters in the U.K. can't pay for theirs in 20.

Solar Irradiance - calculate the solar energy available on your site

Old 09-10-2019, 07:22 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
We need to also figure in the cost of new power plants and keeping the distribution system up and running.

Houston just had a rate increase due to the distribution. Current user are now paying for potential users 10 years down the road.
Why is there a "we" in any of it? Electricity providers should be privately owned.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:23 AM

3,516 posts, read 7,778,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
An article in the BBC News confirms what I have stated for years regarding the financial scam that is solar electricity. These systems simply cannot pay for themselves... and that's before failures and regular replacements.

While I'm not a huge fan of solar, these system can and do pay for themselves over time, but only when your paying the actual cost of the solar panels and not paying highly inflated prices. One guy says he was charged £15,500 for 4kW system by PV Solar UK, the average price of an installed 4kW solar panel system in the UK was around £6,672 at that time, he paid 156% more than he should have. Add to that higher interest loans the solar company offers and mandatory year maintenance fees, and yes you lose money on the deal.

The same thing happened in the United States, there were fast talking salesman that sold solar panel systems at highly inflated prices and used lousy installers. Then on top of this, you couldn't sell your house if you still owed money on the solar system, you had to get the Solar company to approve any house sale, which meant the buyer had to agree to the same lousy contract you did, without the fast talking salesman making them think it's a good deal, when it's obviously not.

Old 09-10-2019, 07:36 AM

5,978 posts, read 2,232,627 times
Solar is like all other electronic products, it will get better and go down in price. Right now its not feasible unless you get a great deal on the panels AND Install (This is where people get taken too) coupled with tax credits. It may be another 20 years before the technology and prices are at a point that it becomes an easy decision for most home owners.

We do have a lot of solar panels in Florida for pool heating and other use. I don't know if the energy generated is worth the cost here either. But pools are a waste (I love then though) so perhaps there useful to run the pumps and heating systems. Would love feedback on that sort of use in sunny states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies