U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM

1,365 posts, read 219,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Not sure. I know that the closes point of the Bahamas is 66 miles from the USA. Versus 1100 miles to Canada.

However, I do know that the Bahamian PM has talked to the Canadian PM.

https://globalnews.ca/video/5852340/...rricane-dorian

Does it make any difference that Canada, or Uruguay, or China hasn't taken any refugees from the Bahamas? Wonder if Canada, rather than sending 5 Navy/Coast Guard ships and 4 helicopters to help the USA after Katrina had taken the same attitude?

Or wonder if Canada, after 9/11 had told the USA, nope, we're not letting all those incoming planes land in Canada. You guys deal with it.. it's your problem not ours. You're the ones who got attacked, not us.

Just wondering how you would feel then?
So, allow US passenger planes conduct emergency landing at Canada airports = admit hundred of thousands hurricane refugees into US permanently ?

Do you know how dumb you sound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:36 AM

3,201 posts, read 864,901 times
Sounds like there's confusion over which documents currently are required for entry, with different entry outcomes depending on the U.S. port of entry. If TPS is not to be granted, then some provision to allow temporary stays with U.S relatives who will assume financial responsibility is reasonable. Sen. Rubio has made a request. Tough situation.

On one hand, the Bahamas is wealthy enough (with the S. undamaged) to expect that the country will with aid be able to care for refugees. But then that same wealth level and existing infrastructure makes it more likely that Bahamians who receive respite here with family will return home to start rebuilding. To separate them from family or even friends they would otherwise be able to visit (lots of free flow between the US and the Bahamas that goes both ways) is hard to defend.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yes it will be inconvenient...……..that's an unfortunate fact of life when you live in a place that has a devastating weather event.

If its a big enough problem, officials in Bahama will probably figure out how to streamline the process with help from the US. In any case, food/water is going there....so I don't think anyone is starving for lack of a visa to get in the US.
I agree that the documentation is important. The Bahamian government will need to re-identify its citizens for its internal purposes. The reissuing of passports and clean police records that the US typically requires can follow. In the interim, there are refugee camps; the aid is flowing.

Trump would have done well not to have tweeted about the "bad guys" (sigh) but it is not unreasonable for the U.S. not to admit those who are in the Bahamas illegally. And certainly none with police records.

The more complicated question is the status of those who previously could freely travel to the United States but now cannot because proof-of-return documents like mortgage papers have been destroyed. (The US now is requesting them, particular for those from The Grand Bahamas and Abaco.)

I appreciate why that frustrates many Bahamians. My comment is that along with the paperwork the underlying reason for returning (the existing home) also no longer exists.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

12,974 posts, read 6,669,298 times
Good. While the US is letting in Bahamian citizens who have a visa/passport issued by their government, I am all for preventing mass migration of Bahamians under the guise of refugee protection. Lord knows that these people could benefit from coming to the US, but the program is meant to provide temporary relief. So, as long as the Democrat Party will continue to cast anyone who seeks to return those admitted under this temporary program to their home countries as "racist" (as is the case with the Haitian immigrants), I say don't let them in via such large numbers to begin with. The Democrats are to blame for this

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Good. While the US is letting in Bahamian citizens who have a visa/passport issued by their government, I am all for preventing mass migration of Bahamians under the guise of refugee protection. Lord knows that these people could benefit from coming to the US, but the program is meant to provide temporary relief. So, as long as the Democrat Party will continue to cast anyone who seeks to return those admitted under this temporary program to their home countries as "racist" (as is the case with the Haitian immigrants), I say don't let them in via such large numbers to begin with. The Democrats are to blame for this
It's a bit of a catch-22. Sometimes the countries that are most devastated (like Haiti) where refugees might not be adequately assisted onsite or there's political instability are at the same time the places that most refugees never return to.

These countries simply don't recover to some accepted standard, whatever that is. Then in the interim, the refugees become established here in the United States with citizen children born. Repatriation then becomes yet one more trauma.

A case could be made for offering refugee status to those where it's anticipated by all from the beginning that they will eventually become U.S. residents followed by citizenship. The numbers involved and qualifications required would be a political question to be decided.

In addition, offer short-term entry for specific medical assistance or temporary visits to relatives etc. that's tracked.

We tend to swing from one extreme to the other in how we handle and discuss these issues.

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

27,856 posts, read 19,494,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
So, allow US passenger planes conduct emergency landing at Canada airports = admit hundred of thousands hurricane refugees into US permanently ?

Do you know how dumb you sound?
norm will love this one.

Canada Tries a Forceful Message for Flood Victims: Live Someplace Else

Old Yesterday, 01:15 PM

5,349 posts, read 1,626,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Hey slick. Me and my plane on my own time and dime spent three days flying stuff into the Bahamas.

What did you do instead of spewing partisan crap?
I applaud you for your charity, but "let's hope there are a bunch of T-310s out there willing to rebuild the Bahamas" is too individualistic a solution to have any real effect on a disaster this massive.

Old Yesterday, 01:20 PM

13,984 posts, read 7,614,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The very nature of modern day American attitude , people seeking help after their island has been flattened? dont look here for help go somewhere else.
Are you Canadian?

Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM

34,862 posts, read 42,080,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Are you Canadian?
What gave it away?

Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

1,365 posts, read 219,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
What gave it away?
Uppity NIMBY attitude gave it away
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or