U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 02:14 PM

13,421 posts, read 6,421,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Not sure. I know that the closes point of the Bahamas is 66 miles from the USA. Versus 1100 miles to Canada.

However, I do know that the Bahamian PM has talked to the Canadian PM.

https://globalnews.ca/video/5852340/...rricane-dorian

Does it make any difference that Canada, or Uruguay, or China hasn't taken any refugees from the Bahamas? Wonder if Canada, rather than sending 5 Navy/Coast Guard ships and 4 helicopters to help the USA after Katrina had taken the same attitude?

Or wonder if Canada, after 9/11 had told the USA, nope, we're not letting all those incoming planes land in Canada. You guys deal with it.. it's your problem not ours. You're the ones who got attacked, not us.

Just wondering how you would feel then?
Per the bolded --- You are comparing apples to oranges---and you know it, too.

There is a big difference between allowing planes to land in another country and taking in hundreds (if not thousands) of so-called "temporary immigrants". The former were only in Canada for a matter of days and all headed home. The latter, given a chance, would be in the wind when it is time for them to go back to the Bahamas.

Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 02:21 PM

5,032 posts, read 1,012,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
He does.

Canadian common sense once again. Rather than rebuilding in flood-prone areas, buy out the owners. The 9th Ward in New Orleans would never have been rebuilt in Canada, nor should it have been.

Now, what does a property issue have to do with refugees? Just wondering what dots you though you connected?

Old 09-12-2019, 02:30 PM

13,421 posts, read 6,421,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
The very nature of modern day American attitude , people seeking help after their island has been flattened? dont look here for help go somewhere else.
And, I'll ask you, too, --- What is your country, Canada, doing about this?

Has it ever occurred to you that Americans have compassion fatigue? Since 1965, we have allowed in 50 million legal immigrants plus we have countless millions of illegals from all over the world. For, example, back in the 80s, the Soviets were sending Jewish people to the US. The US government kept asking synagogues to sponsor these refugees. At first the synagogues were happy to help. Then it got to the point where they were getting so many refugees that it burdened them both financially and emotionally---thus compassion fatigue. To add insult to injury, it was later found out that many of these people sent here weren't Jewish at all. It turned out that the Soviets dumped a good number of their prisoners on us. The end result of that is an active Russian mafia in Russian neighborhoods in NYC.

Time for your country to step up its game.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:53 PM

25,039 posts, read 12,291,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
I applaud you for your charity, but "let's hope there are a bunch of T-310s out there willing to rebuild the Bahamas" is too individualistic a solution to have any real effect on a disaster this massive.
The schools in Freeport just reopened today. A South African living there with his British wife who is a teacher there, I got to know over the last few days just texted me this.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:04 PM

11,453 posts, read 11,443,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Whenever I see one of those lame arguments about "Why don't you take them into your own home ?", it is nothing more than a way to get out of answering the question sensibly. Of course we are not set up to take people into our individual homes, that is outrageous. But, there are agencies and groups that will take these folks in and find them shelter and food.

The duty of these agencies is to find shelter and food for our own homeless first. When every homeless person in America has a roof over their head and a warm meal on the table, THEN we take in disenfranchised people from other countries.

Old 09-12-2019, 04:31 PM

12,975 posts, read 6,669,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
It's a bit of a catch-22. Sometimes the countries that are most devastated (like Haiti) where refugees might not be adequately assisted onsite or there's political instability are at the same time the places that most refugees never return to.

These countries simply don't recover to some accepted standard, whatever that is. Then in the interim, the refugees become established here in the United States with citizen children born. Repatriation then becomes yet one more trauma.

A case could be made for offering refugee status to those where it's anticipated by all from the beginning that they will eventually become U.S. residents followed by citizenship. The numbers involved and qualifications required would be a political question to be decided.

In addition, offer short-term entry for specific medical assistance or temporary visits to relatives etc. that's tracked.

We tend to swing from one extreme to the other in how we handle and discuss these issues.
All fair points.

My counter argument is that the fact that it is, indeed, anticipated from the beginning that some who are granted refugee status under such circumstances with no intent to return home is all the more reason to be skeptical of granting such refugee status to begin with.

I don't want to sound harsh, but we have millions of our own citizens who are living in poverty, etc. I'm not in favor of letting in many others who will largely become public financial burdens who have no intention of ever returning home.

Until the expectation (and the enforced reality) is that such granting of refugee status is, indeed, temporary and that people who were admitted will be returned to their home countries, I think we should seriously curtail what we are allowing.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:53 PM

34,872 posts, read 42,080,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Uppity NIMBY attitude gave it away
Which post are you referring to?

Old Yesterday, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Currently loading my plane at Banyan FBO and filing my flight plan to Freeport.

What are you doing about it except spewing your extreme hatred for everything Trump?
I'll bet you love flying your plane and will take any excuse to get airborn, these supplies you are bringing to the people of Bahamas are you paying the cost? is the fuel you are using coming out of your pocket and if so will it be a tax write off at the end of the year? Yeah if i had a plane sitting in Banyan air service i'd probably have fun doing the same thing you are doing but alas i only have a car and im up here in Montreal,

Old Yesterday, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
And, I'll ask you, too, --- What is your country, Canada, doing about this?

Time for your country to step up its game.
You asked= https://www.canadahelps.org/en/crisi...ricane-dorian/

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

1,367 posts, read 219,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
That looks like a private charity organization in Canada asking online donation to help with the relief. I still don't see Canada_government importing thousands of hurrincane refugees for "temporary" settlement in Canada. Why is Canada so heartless and inhumane?

US government
https://news.usni.org/2019/09/09/uss...k-after-dorian

US private donations
https://donate.unicefusa.org/page/co...AaAh0QEALw_wcB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or