U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM

31,084 posts, read 15,944,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I'll bet you love flying your plane and will take any excuse to get airborn, these supplies you are bringing to the people of Bahamas are you paying the cost? is the fuel you are using coming out of your pocket and if so will it be a tax write off at the end of the year? Yeah if i had a plane sitting in Banyan air service i'd probably have fun doing the same thing you are doing but alas i only have a car and im up here in Montreal,
Typical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:13 AM

1,368 posts, read 220,538 times
Canadians on C-D need to get off their high horse.

They are talking **** about US because we are not importing / allowing hurricane refugees into our country, and that we are not doing enough eventhough we have US Navy and Marines down in Bahama to help with the relief effort.

Yet, Canadians on CD are bragging that Canada is "helping out" with the hurricane effort by posting an online private donations.

Old Yesterday, 05:17 AM

1,368 posts, read 220,538 times
Quote:
Which post are you referring to?
Every single post youve posted in this thread

Old Yesterday, 05:41 AM

20,663 posts, read 12,381,891 times
I have it in good word that over 1000 feds are in Miami dedicated to help process the people, so it may be done differently- but there is some effort to help these folks in house-besides the 5 coast guard cutters, helicopters food and water and other types of aide. I think though - beuacracy is at play with the processing. As long as the people have food n medical attention etc I have no issue with good processes practices

Old Yesterday, 05:50 AM

25,039 posts, read 12,298,280 times
Quote:
I'll bet you love flying your plane and will take any excuse to get airborn, these supplies you are bringing to the people of Bahamas are you paying the cost? is the fuel you are using coming out of your pocket and if so will it be a tax write off at the end of the year? Yeah if i had a plane sitting in Banyan air service i'd probably have fun doing the same thing you are doing but alas i only have a car and im up here in Montreal,
My time, my dime, and it is a tax write off. Left Wednesday afternoon and went home. Now another storm that could be named Humberto could rearrange the rubble. I may go back. Donít know yet.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

3,201 posts, read 865,754 times
The OP was short, with the attached article not clear. Per a quick google: Temporary Protected Status is designed for foreign nationals already present in the United States at the time of an environmental disaster or developing political situation. The relevant date is when its granted not the date of the event. For example, Rwanda had TPS status back in the 1990s. Tutsi students here in the United States could not go home, for obvious reasons. It allows recipients to work, but not to receive public assistance. No path to citizenship. The Trump Administration decided that the Bahamas would not qualify. That makes sense.

I'm not sure of the status of Bahamians now coming to the US. There's a bilateral travel agreement between the two countries where Bahamian citizens do not need visas if they fly (not arrive by ship) for short visits. Instead, they are pre cleared for entry in the Bahamas if they possess a passport (or another Bahamian ID document showing citizenship?) and that clean police report. Some already have multiple entry US visas simply between they regularly travel back and forth.

Looks like this is complicated. Per an article, the US was putting additional restrictive requirements (at least for a while) on those whose residences were in the hurricane-impacted areas. And giving return dates to those who enter - for that "short" visit.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

9,359 posts, read 2,653,390 times
Said it before and will again... So what we dont owe them a damn thing and we have 600,000 homeless citizens who need our help just as much. F&^K the Bahaman refugees. they are owed nothing from the USA.

Old Yesterday, 08:32 AM

5,659 posts, read 4,026,814 times
Places like the Bahamas get many billions of dollars every year from Americans. Then they squander it. And they also tolerate corruption. THEN, when something like Dorian hits, they all want to come here and live off our generosity.

The nerve.

Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM

9,359 posts, read 2,653,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Places like the Bahamas get many billions of dollars every year from Americans. Then they squander it. And they also tolerate corruption. THEN, when something like Dorian hits, they all want to come here and live off our generosity.

The nerve.
Spot on.

Old Yesterday, 08:38 AM

3,201 posts, read 865,754 times
Another wrinkle is that those who lost the most - the Haitian communities (Marsh Harbour) - presumably would not qualify for even temporary entry or that "short" visit to the United States. Many Haitians do not have legal status in the Bahamas. Haitians are being admitted to refugee camps in Nassau - wouldn't surprise me if there are separate camps set up since there's tension between Bahamians and local Haitians.

I'd agree that even though Haiti currently has TPS status that doesn't mean the United States has the obligation to gather up Haitians living illegally in other areas - even those hit by a hurricane - and bring them to the US. Plus, that isn't how the TPS program is designed with these Haitians not previously living here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or