U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 05:40 PM

4,880 posts, read 3,533,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Switch from tipping to regular pay, your bill goes up, you pay for services regardless if it good or horrible and overall service will decline in all but the high end restaurants.
Why wouldnt servers get fired for doing their job poorly, lots of service jobs that interact with people directly and they dont get tipped and still do their job. Its the job of the restaurant to supervise their labor. Tipping doesnt bother me when its less than $20 after that it seems excessive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:53 PM

47,265 posts, read 34,659,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
THIS! In most countries, where tipping is not a thing, the service is crappy. People should work for their money.
Service is highly variable all over the world, restaurant to restaurant, within each dining establishment and even by server. Everyone has a bad day.

Sometimes, people tip for reasons that have nothing to do with actual service. It’s about a connection or humor and/ or appearance. In other words, people don’t even notice things when they find something attractive about the waiter. And at the other end of the spectrum, there no pleasing some people.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:56 PM

1,564 posts, read 371,821 times
I just cook food at home and avoid tipping that way. The food is much healthier, I save money, and don't have to deal with rude customers on their phones around me. The food at most restaurants has decline in quality and increased in price.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:04 PM

29,762 posts, read 40,197,178 times
I tip 15%. My daughter who worked in restaurants through high school and college considers me a cheapskate and lets me know it. When I am with her it has to be 20%. I am waiting for that day when she picks up the tab for the food and the tip.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:18 PM

163 posts, read 47,324 times
The scope of this topic is not limited to sit-down-and-order-from-server restaurants, but all all scenarios where tipping is "expected," not limited to food.

For example, last week I went to the famous Katz's Deli in NYC. It's the type of restaurant where you walk up to a food maker (in this case a meat cutter), order, and sit down. It cost $22 for a pastrami on rye. That is not including any sidedishes. Of course, there was a line on the receipt for adding a tip. By the rule of "always tip at least 20%," that means I'm up to $27.40+ for a sandwich. And this is a place that is always swimming in customers. Some say tipping is optional, but then there are horror stories of restaurant managers telling customers who tip an "inadequate" amount to never come back, or chasing them down the street (this regularly happens to unwitting customers at a Thai restaurant near where I live). So, tipping is basically coerced. Add in sales tax and I paid $30+ for a sandwich that was prepared in less than 20 seconds.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 PM

3,751 posts, read 1,626,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
I tip everybody who provides a service - lyft driver, restaurant waiter, shuttle driver, discount tire guy( free air check), hotel room service, hair stylist etc. I am sure that number would have added upto $ 1000 atleast.

The most recent was for hotel room service, which would have provided him for 5 days of breakfast.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:41 PM

694 posts, read 500,408 times
Our current detached yelp rotten tomato review based entitled society lacks any grounding. This whole dynamic makes eating out not nearly as fun as it used to be. The days of meeting genuinely happy servers are getting less and less. Food on the other hand is getting really good, but it comes at a hefty price with hefty calories.

Shared kitchen co-op restaurants are popping up all over along with Uber eats style delivery places. My thoughts are many restaurants will be closing in a town near you with the current recession/depression in the wings. Not that restaurants have a good business model anyway..

Old 09-10-2019, 10:43 PM

7,843 posts, read 2,784,700 times
I am never embarrassed by tipping someone. Its our system. Go to a country without that any you pay more for the product.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:25 AM

39,906 posts, read 48,432,289 times
We eat regularly at mostly mom & pop restaurants and tip proportionately 15-30%for the meal and service.
We know some of the servers very well and we also know that they don't report all their cash tips either. Servers here keep their own cash tips, no sharing. One told me that he makes on the average $350-$500 per 8 hour shift. He only reports $150-$200 of that total. I imagine this is the trend at many businesses that deal in cash.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:56 AM

25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
We eat regularly at mostly mom & pop restaurants and tip proportionately 15-30%for the meal and service.
We know some of the servers very well and we also know that they don't report all their cash tips either. Servers here keep their own cash tips, no sharing. One told me that he makes on the average $350-$500 per 8 hour shift. He only reports $150-$200 of that total. I imagine this is the trend at many businesses that deal in cash.
This is what puzzles me about the American tipping system. According to what you say wit-nit, that one server boasted to you, he makes between $350-$500 per eight hour shift. Let's say an average of $400. That's $2000 in tips over a five shift week.

Yet, all I read here is about poor servers, struggling to make a living. How about the poor patrons, and their struggles to make a living, so they can give $2000 a week to someone bringing a plate of food to their table, refilling their drink, and bothering you every few minutes, with 'everything all right here?' It is just ridiculous, and anyone with an ounce of sense knows it.

Posters here say, oh if we didn't tip 20%, the food would go up in price by 20% to pay the servers a proper wage. No it wouldn't. It would cost the employer nothing like that in extra wages per meal served, by a server being paid wages by the management, as it should be.

I speak as someone who has visited America many times, and tip as expected. That doesn't mean it's not stupid, and wrong in this modern age. It's the employer's job to pay the staff, not the customer's. It is not defensible, and somewhat of a master and slave relationship. As in their server has better hop to it, and be particularly servile, if they expect a good tip. I personally don't like that relationship, and all the false smiles, and bothering me every few minutes while I try to eat. I am not used to it, and find it a little embarrassing when I have visited America, and am served in this way. Just put the food down, then go away, and leave me alone.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies