U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 08:10 AM

3,982 posts, read 2,110,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I avoid tipping by avoiding restaurants.

Seriously, who wants to eat out these days, with the crappy food + crappy service, and then be expected to tip 20-25% on top of that?

Time to take the bull by the horns and "opt out" by cooking at home. I pray for the day when everyone else gets smart and boycotts restaurants en masse.

I never,ever tip in restaurants if the service is bad.And I politely explain to the server and the manager if necessary exactly why.
When I do tip it is never more than 10% unless the service is exceptional.
If someone complains I make it clear,politely,that they're wasting their time.
I was in a restaurant the other day where the bill offered a range of tipping options going right up to 40%.These people are deluding themselves.
Bar staff get a buck a drink.The really good ones who I know will put up a free one every few rounds get more.
System works perfectly fine for me,mainly because I am completely oblivious to crocodile tears and relish a good row in a restaurant after a meal if the staff wish to get shirty.
On one occasion I even stood on my chair and told the entire restaurant exactly why the staff were kicking off - I got a round of applause and the manager couldn't wait to get me out of the place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 08:11 AM

9,969 posts, read 5,556,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
This is absolutely preposterous.

There is no law that says one MUST tip.

If a server does a poor job ....and I've had some REALLY BAD servers......

Then they don't deserve a tip.

That's entitlement mentality, and tipping for poor service just encourages more poor service.
I'm not saying you have to tip. read again.

My point is that you and a lot of people don't realize that tipping is actually part of the server's pay... for service rendered poor or good due to cash wages which at the federal level is a measly $2.13/hour. It isn't a show of appreciation if the service is good. The "tip" is a misnomer.

Let's compare this to another service... auto.

You have an agreement that you pay for a service. Service is bad but the job is completed (slow, late for example). You cannot just leave without payment or even partial payment. That is considered Theft of Service. Your response should be to pay for said service (no more no less) and don't return for repeat business.

When you enter a restaurant you have an agreement to pay for service. Service is completed but slow. You are allowed to leave without fulfillment of payment (no tip) for that service due to the tipping system we have in the US. No different from other services for payment BUT for this case it isn't considered Theft of Service.

The US system of tipping doesn't necessarily mean you are rewarding the strong performers and not tipping means under payment of services. What we should be doing is paying minimum wages to servers and OPTIONAL tipping should remain with the servers (not the employer nor tip pool) that gave you good service. We shouldn't have to pay according to the amount of the final bill because the server is already receiving wages.

Neither US or European systems are ideal. One (US) is lie.... the other is by force via involuntary tipping.

Last edited by usayit; 09-11-2019 at 08:21 AM..

Old 09-11-2019, 08:16 AM

15,301 posts, read 9,367,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Maybe it's a special treat for folks without much money to go out to eat? Hard enough, without having to pay the wages of wait staff, instead of the employer doing so.

Calling them cheap, is part of the shame network, to ensure this practice never ends, enriching servers, who with tips, are far better off than the patrons of the establishment. It is undefendable, but of course, servers love it.

You a server? I bet you boast you never leave less than 20%. Maybe 30% if the server is especially servile.
I used to be a server and a GOOD server bust their arses off. Iím still not buying into paying or splitting the tips with other servers. No restaurant around here does this Iím better this is a sham of sorts.

Go eat fast food no tipping there. There is no shaming donít go out to eat if you cannot afford it, even more so if your too cheap.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:17 AM

454 posts, read 124,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post

When you enter a restaurant you have an agreement to pay for service.
I reject that premise. When I enter a restaurant I'm agreeing to pay for what is priced on the menu.

A service employee is paid a wage - that is between the employer and the employee.

Any notion of a tip is then predicated on the whether the service I got deserved it.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I used to be a server and a GOOD server bust their arses off. Iím still not buying into paying or splitting the tips with other servers. No restaurant around here does this Iím better this is a sham of sorts.

Go eat fast food no tipping there. There is no shaming donít go out to eat if you cannot afford it, even more so if your too cheap.

I guess you weren't serving to pay your way through college ...

Old 09-11-2019, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I reject that premise. When I enter a restaurant I'm agreeing to pay for what is priced on the menu.

A service employee is paid a wage - that is between the employer and the employee.

Any notion of a tip is then predicated on the whether the service I got deserved it.

Entirely this.
If I'm in a restaurant where a service charge is automatically added to the bill and the service is crap then I call the manager and insist they remove it.
It is entirely my perogative.
The tail must never,ever wag the dog.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:27 AM

9,969 posts, read 5,556,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post

I am not discussing what you think.

What I am discussing is that the Tip system in the US is specifically singling out those cash wage earners (another misnomer).

Whether you reject it or not is irrelevant. Work as a server the min wage laws are at $2.13 and your tips don't actually reward the strong performer, they contribute to the employer subsidizing the labor costs until min wage is met. it is a lie to you as a consumer.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 AM

6,671 posts, read 7,601,408 times
Eliminating our tipping system would likely result in lower levels of service. Of course restaurants would raise server wages. However they would probably end up making fast food level pay. A good server can make hundreds a night in tips. The example a poster made of Australian servers making 20 an hour just would not happen here. The wage increase would never make up for the lost tips.

I do understand though how foreign visitors to our country could be frustrated by tipping here if it’s not done where they live. It is however part of our culture and visitors to our nation should make an effort to deal with it when visiting America. That is just part of international travel.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:29 AM

9,929 posts, read 7,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I avoid tipping by avoiding restaurants.

Seriously, who wants to eat out these days, with the crappy food + crappy service, and then be expected to tip 20-25% on top of that?

Time to take the bull by the horns and "opt out" by cooking at home. I pray for the day when everyone else gets smart and boycotts restaurants en masse.
why would you care whether others enjoy a meal at any restaurant, and choose to provide a tip?

Old 09-11-2019, 08:34 AM

8,400 posts, read 2,886,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If those people you mentioned are struggling then the last thing they need to do is go out to eat. Or don't tip and when they flip you off as you leave, and call you cheap don't get upset.

Have you bought groceries lately?

Pretty easy to spend over $100.00 on practically nothing these days.

Half the time it's just about cheaper to eat out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies