U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:05 AM
 
13,694 posts, read 4,145,053 times
Reputation: 4077

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You're another American trying the 'cheap' line. Just makes me laugh. Don't you read here in this thread how many Americans are fed up of this stupid system, which seems to demand ever higher tipping percentage? It's a scam man.

People tip at American restaurants, because they feel they have to, because the staff are paid such poor wages. That doesn't change the fact the employer should pay them, not the customer.

It's not about trashing your system, it's about changing it. It's not written in stone you know...... there is no Commandment that says, 'thou shalt tip'........

'Ah yes...... you can make a good chunk of change on tips if you're good. I walked home with $100 a night just being a barback, in addition to my wages.' No wonder you sound pleased. But why do you think you should be tipped for doing your job, if your employer pays you? Of course you're pleased suckers are shamed into tipping you for doing your job. Doesn't make it right though does it?
I agree with you. I'm an American and worked in a restaurant as not a server. Read my post. I was doing more work and getting minimum wage like everyone else in the restaurant except for the servers who were getting at least 3-4x that, and got to take money home every night. What does that suggest? If there is to be tipping it's currently at a level about 3-4x higher than where it should be based on what restaurant workers are typically otherwise paid. Most commission are not over 5%.

A lot of women are big on tipping because most severs are women and a lot of women have worked as servers sense it's the more lucrative position within a restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:13 AM
 
13,694 posts, read 4,145,053 times
Reputation: 4077
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
We have one store in town that still does that. I dont shop there much but when I do it actually makes me a little uncomfortable when they load my groceries. I guess because I'm not use to it. That was once very common and expected.
Yeah I don't think it is necessary any more to load your groceries, with the small plastic bags with handles. It might've made more sense back in the day, with the big paper bags they would really load full that might tear, and a lot of women shoppers shopping for a family. Of course you had to unloaded it at home, but presumably Dad would help. Things were just provided with more customer service back in the day.

It still would be nice to have the items rang up and bagged though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:15 AM
 
Location: England
25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30679
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I agree with you. I'm an American and worked in a restaurant as not a server. Read my post. I was doing more work and getting minimum wage like everyone else in the restaurant except for the servers who were getting at least 3-4x that, and got to take money home every night. What does that suggest? If there is to be tipping it's currently at a level about 3-4x higher than where it should be based on what restaurant workers are typically otherwise paid. Most commission are not over 5%.

A lot of women are big on tipping because most severs are women and a lot of women have worked as servers sense it's the more lucrative position within a restaurant.
There are many tipping threads going back years in city-data. They always run the same way. Some complain about the system, others defend it. Then we get the boasters who say they tip 50%. Yeah..... right.

Some here try and shout me down, but I just laugh at them. The system is not defensible, but they insist on trying. You know - it's the American way so shaddup.......

Servers love things just the way things are. As you say, there are background workers in restaurants running their asses off for minimum wage. It's a scam, like it or lump it you tipping magnates.......

Come and try and shout me down. Bring your tightwad, cheap, stay at home, and any other insults you want to dish out. I'll just laugh at you because you're trying to defend a scam. Doesn't work with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:18 AM
 
163 posts, read 47,324 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
NO ONE is forcing you to tip.
Obviously no one is holding a gun to your head, but there are other forceful mechanisms such as

* publicly shaming/ranting on Reddit's r/TalesFromYourServer
* banning from the restaurant
* chasing customer out of the restaurant and demanding more money (yes, this happens)
* automatically including the tip in the bill (I'm fine with this, but it brings up the question of why there even needs to be this subdivision of cost)
* giving middle finger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:27 AM
 
Location: Out West
23,167 posts, read 17,136,370 times
Reputation: 26816
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You're another American trying the 'cheap' line. Just makes me laugh. Don't you read here in this thread how many Americans are fed up of this stupid system, which seems to demand ever higher tipping percentage? It's a scam man.

People tip at American restaurants, because they feel they have to, because the staff are paid such poor wages. That doesn't change the fact the employer should pay them, not the customer.

It's not about trashing your system, it's about changing it. It's not written in stone you know...... there is no Commandment that says, 'thou shalt tip'........

'Ah yes...... you can make a good chunk of change on tips if you're good. I walked home with $100 a night just being a barback, in addition to my wages.' No wonder you sound pleased. But why do you think you should be tipped for doing your job, if your employer pays you? Of course you're pleased suckers are shamed into tipping you for doing your job. Doesn't make it right though does it?
As I said in another thread where people want to take people's money away for working, it's all what you put into it. If you have a crappy attitude as a server, you're not going to make much money.

As for those who are "fed up', I'm going to bet most of them have never actually worked these types of jobs. Maybe they should for a good, solid year, and then come back and tell everyone how "horrible" it is when they made MORE money with tips than just getting their minimum wage.

You don't even live in this country - why do you care about our system and are advocating to change it? I don't go to England and demand that they run everything like we do in the states. That's egotistical.

Tipping is a choice, yes. Not tipping is looked down on - because it reveals your character. (In this country - because everyone in this country knows good and well that you tip.) I do make exceptions for those from European countries or Oz, because I know they don't have this in their countries and don't understand it. I used to drive airboats for a living, and yes, I got tips. What I found, however, is that the Europeans tipped MORE than Americans, even if the Europeans didn't understand why we even have a tipping system. Says something about Americans who are cheap as hell.

Tipping means that the employer doesn't have to pay as much - and it keeps ticket prices down, it keeps food prices down, it keeps the prices down in stores in tourist places that have people who work for tips. Everyone likes paying lower prices for their food and tourist things and tourist junk that they buy in the stores, so it will affect them, as well.

Again, people only see one side of things, and never fully see everything before they start demanding things change because they can't handle choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 11:37 AM
 
Location: England
25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As I said in another thread where people want to take people's money away for working, it's all what you put into it. If you have a crappy attitude as a server, you're not going to make much money.

As for those who are "fed up', I'm going to bet most of them have never actually worked these types of jobs. Maybe they should for a good, solid year, and then come back and tell everyone how "horrible" it is when they made MORE money with tips than just getting their minimum wage.

You don't even live in this country - why do you care about our system and are advocating to change it? I don't go to England and demand that they run everything like we do in the states. That's egotistical.
Where's my violin......'people want to take people's money away for working.' Someone pass me a handkerchief. Lots of people work hard, and they don't get tipped for doing so.

Stop trying to make serving into rocket science, because it's not, and you know it. Work as a server for a year, and then you'll know we deserve tipping. Oh gawd........

I post here, because these tipping threads start on a regular basis here in city-data. I am here to try and get Americans to stand on their hind legs, and cry out 'I'm mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore'........

Americans actually do come to England, and say things like, we don't do it this way in America. We smile, and indulge you. As long as you're spending money.......

Last edited by English Dave; 09-11-2019 at 11:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 12:00 PM
 
163 posts, read 47,324 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Not tipping is looked down on - because it reveals your character.
What a load of B.S.

There are many examples of famous people who are "bad" tippers but give generous amounts of money to charities

The concept of tipping (as it exists today, not as it traditionally was) is just so illogical that to some people the best approach seems to be to error on the side of the "minimum"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,876 posts, read 33,999,857 times
Reputation: 52358
I left a tip at a hotel two years ago where I stayed for 12 days. It was generous but not overly generous and it did cover 12 days. I actually received a hand written store bought thank you card from the maid when I got home. I mean she couldn't be more effusive in what she wrote. Made my day.

I also order a lot of food delivery. Recently, one guy practically did jumping jacks over his tip. He said he was having a bad day and my tip, which I added to the bill when I ordered online, just turned it around. He couldn't have been nicer.

And I'm an old lady but when I was in high school, I had a waitress job after school at a five and dime. I remember what those tips meant to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 12:17 PM
 
Location: England
25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30679
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I left a tip at a hotel two years ago where I stayed for 12 days. It was generous but not overly generous and it did cover 12 days. I actually received a hand written store bought thank you card from the maid when I got home. I mean she couldn't be more effusive in what she wrote. Made my day.

I also order a lot of food delivery. Recently, one guy practically did jumping jacks over his tip. He said he was having a bad day and my tip, which I added to the bill when I ordered online, just turned it around. He couldn't have been nicer.

And I'm an old lady but when I was in high school, I had a waitress job after school at a five and dime. I remember what those tips meant to me.
I'm not going to have a go at you Laura. You are a very nice lady.......

I don't tip the maids in the hotels in Spain, but I do in Tunisia, or used to when we visited before the murders at the Imperial Marhaba hotel in 2015. I discovered they were on ridiculously low wages, even by Tunisian standards. I give our maid a few days wage as a tip. It was peanuts.

Now that's not like me normally........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-11-2019, 01:36 PM
 
7,237 posts, read 2,626,054 times
Reputation: 3958
Still trying to understand people having issues with what is inherently and almost perfectly voluntary for all parties involved?

If tipping bothers you, don't do it. If having a job that is based around the concept bothers you, don't get that kind of job. If businesses that hire workers who work for tips bothers you, don't patronize that business. Etc.

All of this is voluntary association, and nobody is forced to do anything. Why the angst?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top