U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 02:40 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,656,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
I used to live in Europe and got so tired of awful customer service, being treated like an animal by waitstaff.
I call BS on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 PM

52,730 posts, read 42,360,933 times
My tipping is typically:

1) Full service restaurant...$5minimum...20% tip standard...more where warranted.
2) Pick up a sandwich like at a walk-up place? maybe $1 or whatnot but not 20%....20% is for actually getting waited on imo.
3) Buffett....I leave $5 for the people that take away the plates.

Old 09-11-2019, 04:48 PM

1,196 posts, read 190,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
3) Buffett....I leave $5 for the people that take away the plates.
Maybe $5 at McDonalds for the person who clears your table? C'mon, can people not see that this is a crazy system?

Old 09-11-2019, 04:52 PM

961 posts, read 1,792,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap-

We tip minimum 30%- usually more. My wife tipped 50% last night after dinner.

These are working people who are busting their butts to make ends meet. Have some appreciation and sympathy.

Being in a service job like that would suck, as the employee has to be nice, even to jerks. Would you want their job? Try to be a little bright part of their day with a random act of kindness. It is infectious.
Who ever does tip like 50% based on your final bill, in a restaurant? Sure I've tipped 20%, and in infrequent cases if the service was extremely damn great, around 25% to just under 30% give or take. Still, a tip over 30% seems way too much, IMO. And don't get me wrong, I entirely understand tipping in restaurants with waitstaff, and do that myself.

I guess to each their own, if they tip to that great of a percent. And don't get me started on 'tip creep', where you see tip jars in places where employees already make regular minimum wage or more, and in a way aren't necessary at all. Say like at ice cream places, coffee shops, etc.

Old 09-11-2019, 08:48 PM

52,730 posts, read 42,360,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Maybe $5 at McDonalds for the person who clears your table? C'mon, can people not see that this is a crazy system?
Is McDonalds a buffett? No it isn't.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 PM

1,553 posts, read 651,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Tipping is great for both the consumer and hard working servers.

Tipping doesn't work out to well for crappy servers who feel entitled to tips.
In an ideal world, yes. Unfortunately, many Americans tip regardless of the service. As a result, servers with poor service never improve and/or are never fired. If people tipped appropriately (20-100% when service is good and 0-5% when service is bad), then the system would work.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:06 PM

20,929 posts, read 9,008,184 times
We always tip 20 percent even if we feel it's bad service. This is their income and we don't know the circumstances. Maybe they had to pick up more tables because someone didn't show up. Who knows.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:08 PM

23,724 posts, read 11,754,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
You tip at McDonalds ?????

Old 09-11-2019, 09:10 PM

3,452 posts, read 1,674,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
What a load of B.S.

There are many examples of famous people who are "bad" tippers but give generous amounts of money to charities

The concept of tipping (as it exists today, not as it traditionally was) is just so illogical that to some people the best approach seems to be to error on the side of the "minimum"
It reveals a perceived Character to the wait-staff or Bartender etc. Being seen as a cheapskate if it is your pattern there.

Most just do their job anyway. But you won't get faster service if busy and they see a better tipper regular that will.

It's best to be seen as a decent tipper if you are going to a restaurant, bar/club often. Just the GOOD OLD FASHION AMERICAN WAY.

We are not Europe or even Canada.....

Old 09-11-2019, 09:16 PM
AFP

6,990 posts, read 4,369,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
It reveals a perceived Character to the wait-staff or Bartender etc. Being seen as a cheapskate if it is your pattern there.

Most just do their job anyway. But you won't get faster service if busy and they see a better tipper regular that will.

It's best to be seen as a decent tipper if you are going to a restaurant, bar/club often. Just the GOOD OLD FASHION AMERICAN WAY.

We are not Europe or even Canada.....
This label has lost much of it's luster, the Europeans do lot's of things better including not following this asinine tipping model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies