U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 PM

52,730 posts, read 42,360,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
This label has lost much of it's luster, the Europeans do lot's of things better including not following this asinine tipping model.
Sure they do....and they do tons of stuff effed up as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 PM

5,741 posts, read 2,491,740 times
"Embarrassed"?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:45 PM

11,078 posts, read 4,580,001 times
Quote:
The "tipping" system makes me embarrassed as an American
It really shouldn't. Different countries have different customs about things. Travellers who can't appreciate that and want everything to work the same everywhere are the ones who ought to feel embarrassed.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:18 PM

15,273 posts, read 9,358,379 times
For those of you AGAINST tipping my wife and myself probably bring home some where around $25K a year combined, once a week we go out to eat. My wife never understood why I tip as much as I do until she spent a year as a server. Now she gets it. So if WE can leave a good tip on the table I KNOW the rest of you can.
So like I said before your being cheap plain and simple.
Take your arses to some where you donít have to tip.

Itís that simple.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:42 PM

163 posts, read 47,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
For those of you AGAINST tipping
Gosh, another person in this thread is trying to use strawman reasoning

No one in this thread is "against" paying
  • hotel maids
  • restaurant servers
  • taxi drivers
  • etcetera

for the cost their service costs.

What many of us would rather have is the cost be explictly spelled out on a bill instead of going through the pointless exercise of having to subjectively judge how much we should pay for some portion of the service, and being penalized if the servicer doesn't like our judgement. Oh, and we have to know which service expects this separate payment and which doesn't (I only recently learned that hotel maids are supposed to be tipped. The reason I never did it before wasn't because I was "cheap" but because I was simply uninformed about this custom.)

It's a similar level of awkwardness as when you go to a strip club and there are all types of rules about how much money you should be putting down if you sit up near the pole and the strippers will scold you if you're not paying enough. This type of subjective-voluntary-payment-with-strict-rules system exists in sketchy businessess like that.

Heck, if the tipping system makes so much sense, why even have prices on the menu? Let's go 100% by tips, pay what you think your meal should cost.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:54 PM

15,273 posts, read 9,358,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Gosh, another person in this thread is trying to use strawman reasoning

No one in this thread is "against" paying
  • hotel maids
  • restaurant servers
  • taxi drivers
  • etcetera

for the cost their service costs.

What many of us would rather have is the cost be explictly spelled out on a bill instead of going through the pointless exercise of having to subjectively judge how much we should pay for some portion of the service, and being penalized if the servicer doesn't like our judgement. Oh, and we have to know which service expects this separate payment and which doesn't (I only recently learned that hotel maids are supposed to be tipped. The reason I never did it before wasn't because I was "cheap" but because I was simply uninformed about this custom.)

It's a similar level of awkwardness as when you go to a strip club and there are all types of rules about how much money you should be putting down if you sit up near the pole and the strippers will scold you if you're not paying enough. This type of subjective-voluntary-payment-with-strict-rules system exists in sketchy businessess like that.

Heck, if the tipping system makes so much sense, why even have prices on the menu? Let's go 100% by tips, pay what you think your meal should cost.

There are some here against it and think it’s a scam, hence the debate.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:04 PM

4,528 posts, read 1,713,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap-

We tip minimum 30%- usually more. My wife tipped 50% last night after dinner.

These are working people who are busting their butts to make ends meet. Have some appreciation and sympathy.

Being in a service job like that would suck, as the employee has to be nice, even to jerks. Would you want their job? Try to be a little bright part of their day with a random act of kindness. It is infectious.
Business owners know your kind - so they purposely pay the workers a lot less than what they deserve - and they keep the extra money in their pockets.

Try paying more tips to the room cleaning ladies in the hotel. They deserve it a lot more than waiters. Many people don’t even think to pay any tips to these hard working ladies who hardly get any customer interaction.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:06 AM

1,208 posts, read 423,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post

Tipping means that the employer doesn't have to pay as much - it keeps food prices down,
Fallacy.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:10 AM

1,208 posts, read 423,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post

TIPS incentivizes pleasing the customer. Nothing incentivizes better than the hope for individual gain, which is not just why TIPS work, but why capitalism works.
Getting paid and keeping your job works pretty well too.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:40 AM

8,378 posts, read 2,882,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There are some here against it and think itís a scam, hence the debate.

Not against tipping.

Against obligatory tipping when the service doesn't warrant a tip.

Against tipping based on the cost of the meal.

Against tipping for counter service or other occupations that haven't traditionaly been tipped positions.

Against establishments automatically adding a percentage gratuity to the bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies