U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 05:18 AM

6,483 posts, read 2,758,149 times

Advertisements

Tipping as it is in the USA is a scam.
How about we make it so every worker in the USA deserves a tip just for doing their job?
As expected, most of those defending the tip system were also the ones on the take.

If a restaurant manager chased after me for not tipping, I would have him arrested for harassment at worse and if he laid a hand on me knock him out in self defense.

The servers would not have to work as hard either if they just brought the food and go away. Stopping at tables every 5 minutes is harassment. Just go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 05:19 AM

38,186 posts, read 16,508,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You're another American trying the 'cheap' line. Just makes me laugh. Don't you read here in this thread how many Americans are fed up of this stupid system, which seems to demand ever higher tipping percentage? It's a scam man.

People tip at American restaurants, because they feel they have to, because the staff are paid such poor wages. That doesn't change the fact the employer should pay them, not the customer.

It's not about trashing your system, it's about changing it. It's not written in stone you know...... there is no Commandment that says, 'thou shalt tip'........

'Ah yes...... you can make a good chunk of change on tips if you're good. I walked home with $100 a night just being a barback, in addition to my wages.' No wonder you sound pleased. But why do you think you should be tipped for doing your job, if your employer pays you? Of course you're pleased suckers are shamed into tipping you for doing your job. Doesn't make it right though does it?
" Don't you read here in this thread how many Americans are fed up of this stupid system," And how many many would that be out of the 240 MILLION?

Don't like it DON'T go to places where it is practiced. See, here in America we have the FREEDOM to go where we want.

It is THAT simple!

Old 09-12-2019, 05:20 AM

2,299 posts, read 686,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
These are working people who are busting their butts to make ends meet. Have some appreciation and sympathy.
Forget emotion and morality.

Service workers need to understand that their job is supported and financed by American excess and over leveraging of credit. Were it not for personal credit cards their job would not exist.

If everyone got a 30-50% tip and personal credit cards disappeared the demand for these service industry jobs would plummet sending MILLIONS of Americans out of work and straight to the food pantry line.

Bottom line is most people CANNOT AFFORD THE TRUE EXPENSE OF EATING OUT REGULARLY.

In the 50s you ate out ONCE A WEEK and in some cases once every two weeks. The drive thru option proliferated not just because of convenience but COST efficiency as well for the consumer (No tip)

Tip your furniture delivery guy to take out your old couch? SURE. Tip your bartender 50% for cracking open a bottle of Becks? GET THE **** OUTTA HERE!!!

Most food delivery men are very nice to me these days. You know why? People are cutting back on expenses and they are having less stops daily. So this begs the question would you rather lose customers completely and your job? Or be tipped less???

These service workers take it for granted that folks just won't opt out completely or get more selective. I only order food from 1 of 5 places. I rarely try some place new these days. The low performers wit grubby hands out for tips for poor quality service will quickly go out of business. Millenials in their prime earning years won't continue to fund subpar restaurant experiences like Gen Xers.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
There are many tipping threads going back years in city-data. They always run the same way. Some complain about the system, others defend it. Then we get the boasters who say they tip 50%. Yeah..... right.

Some here try and shout me down, but I just laugh at them. The system is not defensible, but they insist on trying. You know - it's the American way so shaddup.......

Servers love things just the way things are. As you say, there are background workers in restaurants running their asses off for minimum wage. It's a scam, like it or lump it you tipping magnates.......

Come and try and shout me down. Bring your tightwad, cheap, stay at home, and any other insults you want to dish out. I'll just laugh at you because you're trying to defend a scam. Doesn't work with me.
"The system is not defensible," Like they say,"you are entitlement to your own opinions but NOT your own facts!"

"it's the American way so shaddup.......," "it's a scam", NO ONE has told you to shut up, so STOP with the accusations.
You have been free to say what you want, BUT you CAN'T HANDLE people having a DIFFERENT opinion then yours so you go into attack mode with your insults.

Old 09-12-2019, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Obviously no one is holding a gun to your head, but there are other forceful mechanisms such as

* publicly shaming/ranting on Reddit's r/TalesFromYourServer
* banning from the restaurant
* chasing customer out of the restaurant and demanding more money (yes, this happens)
* automatically including the tip in the bill (I'm fine with this, but it brings up the question of why there even needs to be this subdivision of cost)
* giving middle finger
DON'T go to those places. problem solved!

Old 09-12-2019, 06:34 AM

4,089 posts, read 2,103,381 times
tipping jars should be banned. If I go into a deli or some sandwich shop, Why do I have to pay a tip to the person behind the counter for doing their job? Its not a restaurant where they are wait staff bringing out the food to a table. Also, they are not making waiter wages.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:45 AM

47,265 posts, read 34,659,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
tipping jars should be banned. If I go into a deli or some sandwich shop, Why do I have to pay a tip to the person behind the counter for doing their job? Its not a restaurant where they are wait staff bringing out the food to a table. Also, they are not making waiter wages.
No need for more silly laws.

If tipping jars bother you, donít patronize businesses that encourage this.

Old 09-12-2019, 06:59 AM

14,733 posts, read 22,633,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
1. Go to another country.

2. Go buy a car or ride a bike.

3. Brew your own coffee.

4. Stop being so cheap.
This. I tip well and I don't have money problems.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:44 AM

15,273 posts, read 9,358,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Not against tipping.

Against obligatory tipping when the service doesn't warrant a tip.

Against tipping based on the cost of the meal.

Against tipping for counter service or other occupations that haven't traditionaly been tipped positions.

Against establishments automatically adding a percentage gratuity to the bill.
Iíll tip servers but I wonít tip people sr counters, etc myself.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:46 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,656,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
Try being Asian and seeing how great the service is in Europe. I bet Middle Easterners have it even worse.

Oh I am Asian and I lived in Europe for 4 years so please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Did the driver force you at gun point?

Luckily he didn't have one!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Almost every diner considers their tips to be the server's pay. If they are paid by me via higher menu prices, why would I pay them again via tips? I wouldn't.

I waited tables, and $10 an hour would have been a substantial pay cut for me.

Let me understand this on one hand you are saying you wouldn't pay extra tip if it is already included and OTOH you are saying waiters make much more because they get a lot of tip, right? Say they are paid 'living' wages and tip is completely optional who is stopping you to pay extra? Whay does that make any difference to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
So, you'd prefer the restaurant add 20% to your bill automatically as a tip to be paid to your server?

BS again - Food is cheaper in Europe even after 20% included so no you are not saving that 20% here. It goes right in the pocket of restaurant owner. Restaurant owners like you to believe all this of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
There are some here against it and think it’s a scam, hence the debate.

It is indeed a scam. Restaurant owners would like you to believe it is not.

Typical reasoning in support of this nonsensical system can be found below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
We always tip 20 percent even if we feel it's bad service. This is their income and we don't know the circumstances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This. I tip well and I don't have money problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I am never embarrassed by tipping someone. Its our system. Go to a country without that any you pay more for the product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I guess you weren't serving to pay your way through college ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Again, if you can't afford to tip, or you are too cheap to tip, don't go to a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies