U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-12-2019, 07:47 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,360 posts, read 2,653,390 times
Reputation: 4990

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Don't you read here in this thread how many Americans are fed up of this stupid system," And how many many would that be out of the 240 MILLION?

Don't like it DON'T go to places where it is practiced. See, here in America we have the FREEDOM to go where we want.

It is THAT simple!
I won't go to places that automatically include a gratuity in the bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-12-2019, 07:48 AM
 
Location: the Sticks
9,360 posts, read 2,653,390 times
Reputation: 4990
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I am never embarrassed by tipping someone. Its our system. Go to a country without that any you pay more for the product.
Either you don't travel much or you go to very expensive places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:20 AM
 
Location: England
25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
" Don't you read here in this thread how many Americans are fed up of this stupid system," And how many many would that be out of the 240 MILLION?

Don't like it DON'T go to places where it is practiced. See, here in America we have the FREEDOM to go where we want.

It is THAT simple!
Well, there aren't 240 million people posting here is there?........

'See, here in America we have the FREEDOM to go where we want.' That's right huh? Gee......I sure wish I was free as an American. Freedom to go where you want huh? Wow....... I sure wish I had that. You're making me so envious.

I was in Spain last week, but I guess that's not free as you are huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:33 AM
 
Location: In the outlet by the lightswitch
1,852 posts, read 1,076,447 times
Reputation: 3409
Personally, I really hate the whole tipping system. It's just not clear who you tip anymore. And like someone else said, it used to be 15% or so, and somehow it's creeped up to 20% or 25%. When I am 70, will it be 50%? On top of that, now everyone has tip jars by registers and I hate Christmas time because I've lost track of who I am supposed to give a yearly tip to and who I'm not (and I wonder how many of us actually tip all the people we are "supposed" to tip anyway. I know don't tip my car mechanic, trash-man, postal carrier, dry cleaner, etc... seriously, look it up).

I went to Europe for the first time a couple of years ago. I really had a hard time not tipping because I was so used it and the service was so good at just about every place I went (one bus tour I did in England, where the whole bus stopped at a restaurant things were a bit slow... but there was a whole bus full of us all at once in this tiny town). Me eating out on my own, no issues with service as it was just as good as it typically is in the US. I didn't notice that things were that much more expensive (then again, I had a hard time converting pounds and euros in my head). I suppose it was more, but nothing was that crazy expensive and I stuck to my dining budget which was based on dollars. I actually kind of liked their system more (plus no one filled my drinks with tons of ice, which I hate. haha).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
21,884 posts, read 11,309,390 times
Reputation: 8014
I give tips.. sometimes the server comes back thinking I made a mistake and tries to give the money back.. It is my way of tithing as a Christian. I know that many rely on tips to get their bills paid and many people do not tip . And if they really go the extra mile they deserve it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:42 AM
 
Location: England
25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30679
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMBGBlueCanary View Post
Personally, I really hate the whole tipping system. It's just not clear who you tip anymore. And like someone else said, it used to be 15% or so, and somehow it's creeped up to 20% or 25%. When I am 70, will it be 50%? On top of that, now everyone has tip jars by registers and I hate Christmas time because I've lost track of who I am supposed to give a yearly tip to and who I'm not (and I wonder how many of us actually tip all the people we are "supposed" to tip anyway. I know don't tip my car mechanic, trash-man, postal carrier, dry cleaner, etc... seriously, look it up).

I went to Europe for the first time a couple of years ago. I really had a hard time not tipping because I was so used it and the service was so good at just about every place I went (one bus tour I did in England, where the whole bus stopped at a restaurant things were a bit slow... but there was a whole bus full of us all at once in this tiny town). Me eating out on my own, no issues with service as it was just as good as it typically is in the US. I didn't notice that things were that much more expensive (then again, I had a hard time converting pounds and euros in my head). I suppose it was more, but nothing was that crazy expensive and I stuck to my dining budget which was based on dollars. I actually kind of liked their system more (plus no one filled my drinks with tons of ice, which I hate. haha).
Thank you. An American who has actually visited England, and has seen how things work here. We don't get poor service in restaurants. We are not expensive compared to American restaurant prices even without tipping, we are not rude to customers, plus your drinks weren't all ice!!.......

Most Americans never leave their country, and most of what they know about England is, 'my cousins third best friend told me service in restaurants is poor. The server doesn't come every three minutes asking if everything is all right here, and they don't shine your shoes while you eat your meal. Just awful.'

Tipping is a scam. Only the brainwashed from birth could possibly believe it's a good system. Glad you've seen the light. Pass on the good news to your friends........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:54 AM
 
38,186 posts, read 16,508,060 times
Reputation: 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
tipping jars should be banned. If I go into a deli or some sandwich shop, Why do I have to pay a tip to the person behind the counter for doing their job? Its not a restaurant where they are wait staff bringing out the food to a table. Also, they are not making waiter wages.
"Why do I have to pay a tip", no one says you have to. I know FACTS are hard for some to digest.

You don't like how they do business, DON'T GO THERE. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:55 AM
 
38,186 posts, read 16,508,060 times
Reputation: 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I won't go to places that automatically include a gratuity in the bill.
THAT is your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 08:58 AM
 
Location: England
25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Reputation: 30679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Why do I have to pay a tip", no one says you have to. I know FACTS are hard for some to digest.

You don't like how they do business, DON'T GO THERE. Problem solved.
SEE, all you think you have to do, is SHOUT FOLKS DOWN with your capital letters posts. TIPPING IS A SCAM.

How's that for ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2019, 09:01 AM
 
38,186 posts, read 16,508,060 times
Reputation: 8675
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Well, there aren't 240 million people posting here is there?........

'See, here in America we have the FREEDOM to go where we want.' That's right huh? Gee......I sure wish I was free as an American. Freedom to go where you want huh? Wow....... I sure wish I had that. You're making me so envious.

I was in Spain last week, but I guess that's not free as you are huh?
Somebody is REALLY UPSET.

P.S Been to Spain and many other countries.

What CAN'T you understated NO ONE IS FORCING YOU TO GO TO PLACES YOU DON'T LIKE HOW THEY DO THEIR BUSINESS?

So, quit your whining and CHOOSE where you go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top