U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 09:43 AM

25,460 posts, read 6,338,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Perhaps your police should put in a request to your overlords in Brussels.

Don't make comments on freedom in America where I can see them. I will obliterate you. And I have nothing against the English people. I have worked with SAS guys in the past, salt of the earth people. English leftists are not fit to gaze at their boots.
You think I'm leftist? In the UK thread they call me a right wing elitist.......

I served my country in the English army. You haven't got the brains to obliterate me.......

Now, that's my last comment off the subject at hand. Moderation will come in, and remove posts at the very least.

I am going back into English gentleman mode........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 09:53 AM

408 posts, read 485,683 times
I still don't get why tipping is connected to the bill. If I bought a $50 steak, did you do more work than if I bought a $15 burger? If not then why tip $10 for one and $3.00 for the other? The same amount of work was involved.

Also, now the weirdest places are asking for tips. How do you determine who to tip? My Doctor is doing a service for me. Do I tip him? Do I tip my Plumber? Do we only tip people that make less than we do? What's the rules?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM

800 posts, read 484,680 times
I'm opposed to the system whereby below-market wages are subsidized by the customer via tipping.
Businesses should be required to pay the minimum hourly wage for workers and tipping should be truly optional for exceptional service. I'm happy to see flat gratuity added to large groups, that seems reasonable.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:36 AM

163 posts, read 47,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I still don't get why tipping is connected to the bill. If I bought a $50 steak, did you do more work than if I bought a $15 burger? If not then why tip $10 for one and $3.00 for the other? The same amount of work was involved.

Also, now the weirdest places are asking for tips. How do you determine who to tip? My Doctor is doing a service for me. Do I tip him? Do I tip my Plumber? Do we only tip people that make less than we do? What's the rules?
Exactly. It's stupid and anyone who defends it has to be stupid.

Imagine travelling to a country and you learn that there's a custom whereby an unofficial list of people is supposed to be given an unspecified amount of extra money for their service and if you get the amount incorrect then it's a sign of your bad "character" and you may even suffer humiliation. It's the sort of custom that I would expect in 3rd world countries, not the U.S. Time to get rid of it.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:45 AM

13,694 posts, read 4,145,053 times
The main thing I think is a standard tip should considered 5-10% at most. Working on commission usually pays under 5%. Anything more than that should be considered optional and generous. Now it's creeped up to the expectation of 15-20% or more and the servers are make sometimes 2-3X or more minimum wage because the standard tip is 2-3x over where it should be. And also the tip is now being calculated on the gross including tax, so another 1.5-2%. It is gouging and an imposition.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:05 AM

20,350 posts, read 14,471,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping.
Then shame on them for not doing any research prior to travel. It's not like internet isn't available in Australia.

Quote:
It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax,...
It's not strange. It's been a custom in the US since the year 1607.

Quote:
...even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price.
It's not factored into the price and it's been custom since 1607.

I tip 10%-15% for waitstaff and 20% if the service was excellent or extraordinary.

Quote:
Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride,...
That would be Uber and Lyft drivers. Don't use them. It's just common sense.

Aside from that, it is customary to round up to the next dollar so the drivers don't have to fumble about with coins.

Quote:
...your morning coffee,...
Then you're buying your coffee at the wrong place. Go somewhere else. Problem solved.

Or, you could grow a pair and be assertive.

And, who is so pathetic and lame they can't make their own coffee?

Then you have people who claim they don't have $400 for an emergency, but they can spend $400 at Starsucks every month.

Quote:
A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
I seriously doubt that. It's a credibility issue.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:40 PM

994 posts, read 369,647 times
I haven't read thru the entire thread and I'm sure it's been mentioned but what irks me is I'll occasionally go to the convenience store here in downtown for an afternoon snack and when I pay for me groceries there is a place to leave a tip. When I don't leave a tip, the lady behind the counter probably thinks I'm a jerk. But she didn't do anything for the tip aside from running my card thru the machine....sorry no tip! Just don't like to be put in this position.

What's even worse IMHO is automatically adding a service charge onto my restaurant bill. The other day it was 20%!!!! If I want to provide a tip, it's my call on how much I want to leave.

Old 09-12-2019, 03:55 PM

4,761 posts, read 2,231,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
What's even worse IMHO is automatically adding a service charge onto my restaurant bill. The other day it was 20%!!!! If I want to provide a tip, it's my call on how much I want to leave.
I don't believe this happened unless you were with a party of 5 or larger, AND the policy was clearly stated somewhere in the restaurant or on the menu--"Gratuity of 20% added to bill for parties of five or more."

Old 09-12-2019, 05:39 PM

994 posts, read 369,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I don't believe this happened unless you were with a party of 5 or larger, AND the policy was clearly stated somewhere in the restaurant or on the menu--"Gratuity of 20% added to bill for parties of five or more."

It did happen...was just me and my wife at a local Italian restaurant and the price was there clear as day!

Old 09-12-2019, 07:25 PM

4,761 posts, read 2,231,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
It did happen...was just me and my wife at a local Italian restaurant and the price was there clear as day!
Why not just tell me the name of the restaurant?

Was the policy not posted anywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies