U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 08:41 PM

20,929 posts, read 9,008,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I still don't get why tipping is connected to the bill. If I bought a $50 steak, did you do more work than if I bought a $15 burger? If not then why tip $10 for one and $3.00 for the other? The same amount of work was involved.

Also, now the weirdest places are asking for tips. How do you determine who to tip? My Doctor is doing a service for me. Do I tip him? Do I tip my Plumber? Do we only tip people that make less than we do? What's the rules?
Are you serious to ask this question. Good grief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 01:11 AM

408 posts, read 485,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you serious to ask this question. Good grief.
Please elaborate then. What are the rules? Do you tip everyone who provides customer service to you? Do I tip my Dentist and/or plumber? Why or why not?

Old Yesterday, 01:14 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,107,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Perhaps your police should put in a request to your overlords in Brussels.

Don't make comments on freedom in America where I can see them. I will obliterate you. And I have nothing against the English people. I have worked with SAS guys in the past, salt of the earth people. English leftists are not fit to gaze at their boots.
Good grief man, this is the language of the playground.
In a thread about tipping.
I'll give you a tip. Grow up.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 AM

25,456 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I still don't get why tipping is connected to the bill. If I bought a $50 steak, did you do more work than if I bought a $15 burger? If not then why tip $10 for one and $3.00 for the other? The same amount of work was involved.

Also, now the weirdest places are asking for tips. How do you determine who to tip? My Doctor is doing a service for me. Do I tip him? Do I tip my Plumber? Do we only tip people that make less than we do? What's the rules?
You're trying to make sense of a scam. It's impossible. Doctors and Plumbers don't need tips, they earn plenty using their different skills.

My wife doesn't tip anybody, except one person, and that is the lady who cuts her hair. I don't know why, but she does. There is no logical reason why. In the window of the shop is a list of prices for different things done to the hair.

I tell her, "there is the price required for a wash, hair cut, and styling on the list. That is the price she is asking. She does not have an * at the bottom that says, tip required."

I eventually got her to admit she does so, because her mother did the same thing with her hairdresser.....

Old Yesterday, 07:48 AM

8,434 posts, read 3,314,935 times
You guys know the Brits are over on their own sub board gloating about how English Dave kicked all your asses in this thread right?

Is brexit the beginning of the end of the UK?

Do you agree with their assessment?

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

25,456 posts, read 6,338,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
You guys know the Brits are over on their own sub board gloating about how English Dave kicked all your asses in this thread right?

Is brexit the beginning of the end of the UK?

Do you agree with their assessment?
Talk about someone trying to stir up trouble! I'm shocked I tell ya. Shocked........ Honestly, I'm surprised at you, the artist who used to be known as Uncle Bully.........

All I did was try to stop a poster shouting at me, using capital letters. I am innocent of the charge.

Old Yesterday, 10:28 AM

12,045 posts, read 17,639,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
Well that makes our friends from abroad sound rather dense.

I am reminded of a line by Terri Garr in the unsung classic, After Hours:

"Look, I had trouble figuring out the tax on checks. So what! I mean, eight per cent is a *****! So, I make a few mistakes! So, I make a few mistakes! So, sue me!"

Those lovable Aussies and sophisticated Europeans cannot figure out how to add 15% to a bill?

And they say ole Yankee is stupid.

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,107,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Well that makes our friends from abroad sound rather dense.

I am reminded of a line by Terri Garr in the unsung classic, After Hours:

"Look, I had trouble figuring out the tax on checks. So what! I mean, eight per cent is a *****! So, I make a few mistakes! So, I make a few mistakes! So, sue me!"

Those lovable Aussies and sophisticated Europeans cannot figure out how to add 15% to a bill?

And they say ole Yankee is stupid.

And you're proving them right ...

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

12,045 posts, read 17,639,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
And you're proving them right ...
Am I?

I know how to add 15% to a bill without having an mental breakdown.

That makes me stupid?

Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

1,347 posts, read 577,856 times
I tip less now that in lots of places there 15$ minimum wage so they are paid fair wages
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies