U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM

4,089 posts, read 2,103,381 times

Advertisements

I patronize them I just don't put money in the jars

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
No need for more silly laws.

If tipping jars bother you, donít patronize businesses that encourage this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

4,089 posts, read 2,103,381 times
boy I hit a nerve. I guess you are one of those workers that expects a tip in the tip jar or do so yourself.

you are right no one says I have to and I don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Why do I have to pay a tip", no one says you have to. I know FACTS are hard for some to digest.

You don't like how they do business, DON'T GO THERE. Problem solved.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

12,045 posts, read 17,639,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Gosh, another person in this thread is trying to use strawman reasoning

No one in this thread is "against" paying
  • hotel maids
  • restaurant servers
  • taxi drivers
  • etcetera

for the cost their service costs.

What many of us would rather have is the cost be explictly spelled out on a bill instead of going through the pointless exercise of having to subjectively judge how much we should pay for some portion of the service, and being penalized if the servicer doesn't like our judgement. Oh, and we have to know which service expects this separate payment and which doesn't (I only recently learned that hotel maids are supposed to be tipped. The reason I never did it before wasn't because I was "cheap" but because I was simply uninformed about this custom.)

It's a similar level of awkwardness as when you go to a strip club and there are all types of rules about how much money you should be putting down if you sit up near the pole and the strippers will scold you if you're not paying enough. This type of subjective-voluntary-payment-with-strict-rules system exists in sketchy businessess like that.

Heck, if the tipping system makes so much sense, why even have prices on the menu? Let's go 100% by tips, pay what you think your meal should cost.

Here Wallbuilder, let me be of assistance.

If you have (for example) a restaurant tab of $57.20 and think the service decent or better, follow these steps:
  1. Take out your phone (I know you have one).
  2. Go to the Calculator App
  3. Multiply $57.20 * 1.15
  4. The Calculator will give you a figure of $65.78
  5. Then- and this the most important part- leave $65.78 as your total.
  6. Rounding up or Down might be a bit stressful for you.

Now, if you cannot do that, then you should be embarrassed.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

17,388 posts, read 14,028,893 times
Perhaps non cash tipping could become the way of the future? - some carrots from the garden, or some delicious homemade toffee etc,

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Perhaps non cash tipping could become the way of the future? - some carrots from the garden, or some delicious homemade toffee etc,
LOL!

I did read an article by a local food critic stating that everyone should, "Buy the kitchen staff a round of drinks."

Now that notion I find more than bizarre.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

4,762 posts, read 2,231,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
Name of bar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
What's even worse IMHO is automatically adding a service charge onto my restaurant bill. The other day it was 20%!!!! If I want to provide a tip, it's my call on how much I want to leave.
Name of restaurant?

Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete98146 View Post
I haven't read thru the entire thread and I'm sure it's been mentioned but what irks me is I'll occasionally go to the convenience store here in downtown for an afternoon snack and when I pay for me groceries there is a place to leave a tip. When I don't leave a tip, the lady behind the counter probably thinks I'm a jerk. But she didn't do anything for the tip aside from running my card thru the machine....sorry no tip! Just don't like to be put in this position.

What's even worse IMHO is automatically adding a service charge onto my restaurant bill. The other day it was 20%!!!! If I want to provide a tip, it's my call on how much I want to leave.

Ground Control to pete98146!

Many European countries, most notably France, do exactly that. They included the tip automatically.

Now on your first point, you are correct.

Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,107,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Am I?

I know how to add 15% to a bill without having an mental breakdown.

That makes me stupid?

When American tourists visit my country and express their difficulty at driving on the other side of the road than they're used to I don't brand them stupid.
Just visitors who are struggling with a different way of doing things than they're used to.
That's why you're stupid.

Old Yesterday, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
When American tourists visit my country and express their difficulty at driving on the other side of the road than they're used to I don't brand them stupid.
Just visitors who are struggling with a different way of doing things than they're used to.
That's why you're stupid.
It's a struggle to multiply the amount of the bill by 1.15? You lot cannot do simple percentages? You are not willing to adjust to a simple variation of something that is done around the world?

I think you rather reckless with your use of the word stupid.

Last edited by Moth; Yesterday at 03:37 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:13 PM

3,979 posts, read 2,107,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
It's a struggle to multiply the amount of the bill by 1.15? You lot cannot do simple percentages? You are not willing to adjust to a simple variation of something that is done around the world?

I think you rather reckless with your use of the word stupid.

Every time I have an American tourist stay at one of my holiday rentals I have to explain to them how to work a cafetiere.
To me it's simple.
Like calculating 15% of something.
But they struggle doing something I could do in my sleep.
I still don't think they're stupid.
If you don't like stupid will pompous and arrogant do instead ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies