U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2019, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Various
1,212 posts, read 424,571 times
Reputation: 1065

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post

Those lovable Aussies and sophisticated Europeans cannot figure out how to add 15% to a bill?


And they say ole Yankee is stupid.
How can that be your conclusion? No one has trouble with the calculation. But is it 15%? And on which bill? Ask 10 Americans, get 10 different answers. Are some, none, or all of them stupid?

I'm in your wonderful country at least twice per year because I love it. Always tip, never complain - when in Rome etc etc. Doesn't mean it's not an absurd system. Or should I say custom, because it sure isn't a system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 12:08 AM
 
7,843 posts, read 2,788,735 times
Reputation: 3086
I always tip staff well unless they truly suck. Many monetary systems in the world. In America we tip wait staff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:22 AM
 
Location: England
25,474 posts, read 6,341,962 times
Reputation: 30686
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I always tip staff well unless they truly suck. Many monetary systems in the world. In America we tip wait staff.
Why? Is it a master and servant relationship? You will tip someone who brings food to your table.

So, if in McDonald's, instead of standing at a counter, waiting for your food to be handed to you in a bag, let's say instead, you placed your order then sat down. The food, instead of being bagged, and handed to you at a counter, is instead brought to your table.

Exactly the same process, but brought to you at a table. A walk of a few yards. Do you then tip the server? If not, why not?

Have you ever watched workers in a McDonald's run round, working hard? I have when visiting America. I don't go in fast food places here in England, but I would guess it's exactly the same. The only difference I can see, is that the food is not brought to you at a table, but handed to you at a counter.The difference is minimal, yet no tips in McDonalds for hard working staff. Why's that then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:28 AM
 
7,843 posts, read 2,788,735 times
Reputation: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Why? Is it a master and servant relationship? You will tip someone who brings food to your table.

So, if in McDonald's, instead of standing at a counter, waiting for your food to be handed to you in a bag, let's say instead, you placed your order then sat down. The food, instead of being bagged, and handed to you at a counter, is instead brought to your table.

Exactly the same process, but brought to you at a table. A walk of a few yards. Do you then tip the server? If not, why not?

Have you ever watched workers in a McDonald's run round, working hard? I have when visiting America. I don't go in fast food places here in England, but I would guess it's exactly the same. The only difference I can see, is that the food is not brought to you at a table, but handed to you at a counter.The difference is minimal, yet no tips in McDonalds for hard working staff. Why's that then?


Because the economic model for U.S. wait staff is the restaurant pays less than minimum wage and it is expected for the patron to augment that with a tip. You can always stay in England if you oppose the American culture.


And yes I even tip McDonalds. If you do not that speaks to your humanity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:36 AM
 
Location: England
25,474 posts, read 6,341,962 times
Reputation: 30686
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Because the economic model for U.S. wait staff is the restaurant pays less than minimum wage and it is expected for the patron to augment that with a tip. You can always stay in England if you oppose the American culture.


And yes I even tip McDonalds. If you do not that speaks to your humanity.
I keep reading here in city-data, wait staff in many parts of America, are now being paid at least proper minimum wage, and above, not the $2 whatever quoted often. If this happens everywhere, will you still tip folks who bring a plate of food to your table? If so, why? What is the deep seated reason for it? Is it a master and servant relationship, deeply ingrained in the American psyche?

It is not culture, it is an ever growing scam. Some Americans in this thread are fed up of it. They get called insulting names for daring to speak out.

Good that you boast of tipping workers in McDonald's. Folks who don't, lack humanity huh? That's interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:39 AM
 
7,843 posts, read 2,788,735 times
Reputation: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I keep reading here in city-data, wait staff in many parts of America, are now being paid at least proper minimum wage, and above, not the $2 whatever quoted often. If this happens everywhere, will you still tip folks who bring a plate of food to your table? If so, why? What is the deep seated reason for it? Is it a master and servant relationship, deeply ingrained in the American psyche?

It is not culture, it is an ever growing scam. Many Americans in this thread are fed up of it. They get called insulting names for daring to speak out.

Good that you boast of tipping workers in McDonald's. Folks who don't, lack humanity huh? That's interesting.
Well you have heard of American culture correct? If there is one thing that bonds our multi-culturism its tipping wait staff. People who are against tipping are in an extreme minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:47 AM
 
Location: England
25,474 posts, read 6,341,962 times
Reputation: 30686
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Well you have heard of American culture correct? If there is one thing that bonds our multi-culturism its tipping wait staff. People who are against tipping are in an extreme minority.
I have read there is a very prominent minority who are known not to tip. Some wait staff don't like dealing with them, for this very reason. True or not?

I was belittled once in a Las Vegas 'Denny's.' I went in there with my son for breakfast. The waitress soon stopped smiling when she heard my English accent. She took my order, left, then brought my food after a little while.

After we finished, I placed the tip on the table, among the plates, and got up to leave with my son. The waitress was over like a shot, and was so close behind me, she could have been family. I turned round, and said, "the tip is on the table." She looked uncomfortable, and then moved away.

Now, that's stereotyping wouldn't you say? I didn't take offence. That's because I'm a middle aged white man from England. We don't make a fuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:51 AM
 
7,843 posts, read 2,788,735 times
Reputation: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I have read there is a very prominent minority who are known not to tip. Some wait staff don't like dealing with them, for this very reason. True or not?

I was belittled once in a Las Vegas 'Denny's.' I went in there with my son for breakfast. The waitress soon stopped smiling when she heard my English accent. She took my order, left, then brought my food after a little while.

After we finished, I placed the tip on the table, among the plates, and got up to leave with my son. The waitress was over like a shot, and was so close behind me, she could have been family. I turned round, and said, "the tip is on the table." She looked uncomfortable, and then moved away.

Now, that's stereotyping wouldn't you say? I didn't take offence. That's because I'm a middle aged white man from England. We don't make a fuss.
Huh? I see no stereotyping. Maybe you are just self conscious. I have no idea if English tip or not and I doubt the average wait staff in America knows whether they do or not. That is silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:00 AM
 
Location: England
25,474 posts, read 6,341,962 times
Reputation: 30686
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
Huh? I see no stereotyping. Maybe you are just self conscious. I have no idea if English tip or not and I doubt the average wait staff in America knows whether they do or not. That is silly.
You think so? A lot of English people visit Las Vegas. I have read many are known not to tip, either deliberately, or because they know little about the tipping system in the US. Las Vegas waitstaff know this, and that's why I got the treatment I got.

The first time I visited America in 1988, I went for a walk round NYC the morning after, looking for a place to have some breakfast. I came across a real nice little place, and went in. It was everything I could have hoped for as a fan of America. A real life diner, just like on the telly shows.

I sat down, and studied the menu. The waitress came over, and looked straight out of central casting, even to a pencil behind her ear, and chewing gum. I was in heaven. She asked me what I wanted to eat. I ordered eggs and bacon. "How ya want your eggs?" I said, "fried please." She barked at me, "they're all fried! How ya want 'em? Easy over, or what?" I said, "easy over please." I didn't have a clue what that meant, but guessed.

She brought me my food, and then said, "you from England?" I smiled, and said, "yes, I am." She looked in my eyes, and said, "the tip ain't included." She had obviously had English people in the establishment before.

Once again, I didn't take offence. She was too fascinating for that. But I left a good tip. I didn't want her to shout at me again.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM
 
7,843 posts, read 2,788,735 times
Reputation: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You think so? A lot of English people visit Las Vegas. I have read many are known not to tip, either deliberately, or because they know little about the tipping system in the US. Las Vegas waitstaff know this, and that's why I got the treatment I got.

The first time I visited America in 1988, I went for a walk round NYC the morning after, looking for a place to have some breakfast. I came across a real nice little place, and went in. It was everything I could have hoped for as a fan of America. A real life diner, just like on the telly shows.

I sat down, and studied the menu. The waitress came over, and looked straight out of central casting, even to a pencil behind her ear, and chewing gum. I was in heaven. She asked me what I wanted to eat. I ordered eggs and bacon. "How ya want your eggs?" I said, "fried please." She barked at me, "they're all fried! How ya want 'em? Easy over, or what?" I said, "easy over please." I didn't have a clue what that meant, but guessed.

She brought me my food, and then said, "you from England?" I smiled, and said, "yes, I am." She looked in my eyes, and said, "the tip ain't included." She had obviously had English people in the establishment before.

Once again, I didn't take offence. She was too fascinating for that. But I left a good tip. I didn't want her to shout at me again.......
Isolated incident. Did they do that in say Memphis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top