U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 03:51 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,976,719 times

Advertisements

I like leaving a penny after seriously bad service. It lets the server know that I didn't just forget to leave a tip.With that being said, it is not uncommon for me to leave 30% for superior service.

In cases where the food was awesome and the service was horrible, I've asked to have the cook come to our table where I have handed him/her their tip personally.

Last edited by ditchlights; 09-15-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 03:56 PM

4,797 posts, read 2,238,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
There are restaurants and bars that add your tip in for you. So technically, they can say you havent paid your full bill if you dont tip enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I've never had that experience unless it was a very clearly stated policy for parties of 5 or more.

Can you name some of them please?
Quote:
I dont know names, I have been to a few, but i tend to stay away from those places once i find them or see it at the bottom of a menu.

A mandatory tip isnt a tip, its a built in price model. And thats the problem.
Quote:
No, as he stated some places do it based on size of party, some based on the bill itself. Some just add it onto the prices of the drinks or food.

Stay away from those places.
Can't name even one place that automatically includes a tip in the bill total, even with parties that have fewer than 5 people?

Old 09-15-2019, 03:57 PM

8,408 posts, read 2,888,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Make life simple and just tip $2 for every $10 spent.

I hate to cook so I eat out at least one meal EVERYDAY of the week. Very rarely do I not tip 20% or more. You gotta be really crappy to get less than that from me.

It is simple that way....

But $2.00 on a $10.00 meal seems chintzy to me.

But at the same time....$12.00 on a $60.00 meal seems excessive.

That's why I hate basing tips on a percentage of the bill.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Many in the Miami area have tips automatically included. 18% is what I have seen.
Can you please name one Miami restaurant that automatically charges a tip for parties of fewer than 5 people?

Old 09-15-2019, 04:03 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,976,719 times
If I'm eating at a restaurant with a group of people, I immediately subtract the cost of alcohol from the tip calculation, as the server din not mix the drink. If the group consensus was that the drinks were stellar, I will tip the bar on the way out. The food service and non alcoholic drink service (refills) will be tipped on their own merit. Much of my experience at chain restaurants has been very slow service for alcoholic drinks. Alcohol can be a large part of a bill. This is unacceptable.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If I'm eating at a restaurant with a group of people, I immediately subtract the cost of alcohol from the tip calculation, as the server din not mix the drink. If the group consensus was that the drinks were stellar, I will tip the bar on the way out. The food service and non alcoholic drink service (refills) will be tipped on their own merit. Much of my experience at chain restaurants has been very slow service for alcoholic drinks. Alcohol can be a large part of a bill. This is unacceptable.
That is your prerogative, but be advised that waitstaff customarily tips out the bartender, depending on the restaurant. And, sometimes, the waiter DOES mix the drinks.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:14 PM

The OP stated that a couple from Australia claimed to have been kicked out of a bar for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that the bartender said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.

I don't believe this happened. Either the OP is mistaken or the couple from Australia embellished the story or omitted certain key details.

Several people in this thread have claimed that MANY restaurants include a 15-20% tip in the bill total--even with parties of fewer than five people. (It is true that some restaurants add a gratuity for larger parties. And if they do, it will be posted on the menu.)

Nobody has named any of these establishments. Not one.

Incidentally, no law mandates that diners must pay the additional fee.

Last edited by AguaDulce; 09-15-2019 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-15-2019, 04:21 PM

8,462 posts, read 3,321,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Talk about someone trying to stir up trouble! I'm shocked I tell ya. Shocked........ Honestly, I'm surprised at you, the artist who used to be known as Uncle Bully.........

All I did was try to stop a poster shouting at me, using capital letters. I am innocent of the charge.
Apparently it didn't work.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 PM

11,006 posts, read 12,048,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
It is simple that way....

But $2.00 on a $10.00 meal seems chintzy to me.

But at the same time....$12.00 on a $60.00 meal seems excessive.
I would not leave a $2 tip for a $10 meal so I adjust accordingly on a meal with a tiny bill. As far as $12 for $60, I got no problem with that as long as the service was acceptable.

One catch though is going on dates and getting several $15+ drinks that jack your bill up. While I probably still give 20% on the total bill, it does kinda suck when you get a $240 bill and close to $100 is for drinks.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:38 PM

5,608 posts, read 8,494,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
You can totally skrew your server by doing that.

Lots of times your server has to tip out the host, the food runner, the bartender, etc.

You could've under tipped your server and over tipped the bartender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies