U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 04:49 PM

23,747 posts, read 11,766,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Can't name even one place that automatically includes a tip in the bill total, even with parties that have fewer than 5 people?
I don't go out partying anymore , the last time I bar hopped was probably about 7 years ago. Now I mostly just go to a couple of places on my favorites list .

So in short, no, I can't remember names lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 04:52 PM

23,747 posts, read 11,766,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The OP stated that a couple from Australia claimed to have been kicked out of a bar for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that the bartender said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.

I don't believe this happened. Either the OP is mistaken or the couple from Australia embellished the story or omitted certain key details.

Several people in this thread have claimed that MANY restaurants include a 15-20% tip in the bill total--even with parties of fewer than five people. (It is true that some restaurants add a gratuity for larger parties. And if they do, it will be posted on the menu.)

Nobody has named any of these establishments. Not one.

Incidentally, no law mandates that diners must pay the additional fee.
What do laws have to do with it ??? Restaurants can charge what ever they want . And their pricing scale can include what every they want

Old 09-15-2019, 04:52 PM

4,797 posts, read 2,238,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
I don't go out partying anymore , the last time I bar hopped was probably about 7 years ago. Now I mostly just go to a couple of places on my favorites list .

So in short, no, I can't remember names lol
Thank you.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:08 PM

4,797 posts, read 2,238,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
What do laws have to do with it ??? Restaurants can charge what ever they want . And their pricing scale can include what every they want
A restaurant is free to add a mandatory fee if they wish. Some restaurants automatically include a gratuity for parties of 5 or more. If so, they usually include this information on the menu. Since it is such a common practice, I'm always surprised when I'm with a large party and we AREN'T automatically charged a gratuity.

(Regarding automatic gratuities added to larger parties--if you think the service was not up to standard, you should absolutely talk to the restaurant about getting it reduced. They are going to be much more amenable to you explaining about the late food, or the wrong order, or failure to refill drinks than if you simply refusing to pay. Asking for it to be reduced will often work, because most restaurants want happy repeat customers more than they want a few dollars in tip.)

However, I've never been to a restaurant that automatically includes a gratuity for parties of fewer than 5.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:22 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,976,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
You can totally skrew your server by doing that.

Lots of times your server has to tip out the host, the food runner, the bartender, etc.

You could've under tipped your server and over tipped the bartender.
Not my problem to calculate that. This blurs the lines. That is a system that liberals operate under. I prefer to reward those who do good work. I do not prefer to tip whole and hope people get compensated equally after the fact. I control my tips and I take care of those who take care of me. Nothing is guaranteed, and I despise any system that gives people fractional rewards for bad service.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:27 PM

36,779 posts, read 10,907,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.

Oh, sacre bleu! Who cares about U.S. visitors and their outrage? You must be easily embarrassed.

Tipping is good. I'd rather tip for good service than have a "gratuity fee" added for mediocre service.

Patrons should tip, and tip well. (Tip your pizza delivery person, too!). 1) If you don't want to add to a tip jar, don't. 2) If a larger-than-warranted tip is expected, leave a service-appropriate tip. There. Wasn't that easy?

BTW, The best tippers are Boomers. And they tip for all those services for which you don't want to tip.

Old 09-15-2019, 05:33 PM

11,025 posts, read 10,701,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
One of the reasons I stopped giving my business to industries that typically involve tipping a long time ago, other than my haircuts. But I make sure I go to a barber/stylist that states tipping is not required.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:17 PM

3,996 posts, read 2,112,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I would not leave a $2 tip for a $10 meal so I adjust accordingly on a meal with a tiny bill. As far as $12 for $60, I got no problem with that as long as the service was acceptable.

One catch though is going on dates and getting several $15+ drinks that jack your bill up. While I probably still give 20% on the total bill, it does kinda suck when you get a $240 bill and close to $100 is for drinks.
I'd only pay $15+ for a date's drink if I knew it wasn't going to waste.
If you catch my drift ...

Old Yesterday, 03:24 AM

1,220 posts, read 426,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
If I'm eating at a restaurant with a group of people, I immediately subtract the cost of alcohol from the tip calculation, as the server din not mix the drink. If the group consensus was that the drinks were stellar, I will tip the bar on the way out. The food service and non alcoholic drink service (refills) will be tipped on their own merit. Much of my experience at chain restaurants has been very slow service for alcoholic drinks. Alcohol can be a large part of a bill. This is unacceptable.
Server didn't make the meal either, they just delivered it, just like the drink......

Old Yesterday, 06:02 AM

5,608 posts, read 8,494,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Not my problem to calculate that. This blurs the lines. That is a system that liberals operate under. I prefer to reward those who do good work. I do not prefer to tip whole and hope people get compensated equally after the fact. I control my tips and I take care of those who take care of me. Nothing is guaranteed, and I despise any system that gives people fractional rewards for bad service.
No - it's the system that society operates under. I'd prefer to do 50 in the left lane on the expressway - but I don't because I'm not a jerk.

You sound like the type that gets off feeling morally superior to others. You must be a gas at parties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies