U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

47,265 posts, read 34,659,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Maybe chain restaurants maybe. I used to be a server and never had to split my tips my wife worked as a waitress last year and didn’t split hers either. She kept all hers and so did I.
I can appreciate that your situation is not the same as that experienced by a majority of servers.

The “ tipping out” thing was customary when I was in high school, a long, long time ago, before chain restaurants dominated the middle market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:24 AM

11,349 posts, read 2,975,271 times
Servers in my state, the minimum wage is $2.50! Ive never understood why restaurants and the lawmakers who set the minimum wages, factor tips into how much their hourly pay should be? Shouldnt servers have the same 'minimum wage' as everyone else?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:28 AM

31,098 posts, read 15,944,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Servers in my state, the minimum wage is $2.50! Ive never understood why restaurants and the lawmakers who set the minimum wages, factor tips into how much their hourly pay should be? Shouldnt servers have the same 'minimum wage' as everyone else?
Almost every diner considers their tips to be the server's pay. If they are paid by me via higher menu prices, why would I pay them again via tips? I wouldn't.

That $2.50 is essentially"paid" to cover the taxes on tips.

Have you waited tables? If so, would you trade what you made in tips for minimum wage or even minimum wage plus 50%?

I waited tables, and $10 an hour would have been a substantial pay cut for me.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
For years when tips of 15% were considered the norm, I tipped 20% on tax, and more if we kept asking for things. What I object to is being asked to tip at the counter before minimal "service" is even received.

The other night we went to a Panera-like chain restaurant where payment was made at the time of the order. They were using one of the new square credit card readers that "suggested" large tips. I hit "no tip." The man at the register craned his neck to watch what was being entered, then glared.

The customer places their order at the counter. Finds a table, not waits in an organized line for a hostess to show them to the next available table. Wipes down the table. Gets their silverware. Buses their table. Refills their own drinks. Returns to the counter for condiments etc. Turns out we did not have to wait for the food. I gave the young girl who dropped it off a $1 thank-you tip.

These employees do not fall within the tipped-minimum wage category that is less than the base wage. Our local minimum wages are far above the Federal base. Pressuring customers like this to extend where they should tip is unacceptable. The square credit card readers up the psychological pressure. Instead of ignoring the "tip jar" it's now necessary to hit "No" in front of the cashier.
Blame the business, not the person ringing up the order.

So what if he/ she glares?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:32 AM

3,452 posts, read 1,674,421 times
Aspects of the thread I read I find interesting.

But in first reading the title of this thread .... by a ultra-Conservative who berates all more liberal.

Title:

The "tipping" system makes me embarrassed as an American

I immediately thought.

He would lambaste and mock a more liberal person saying anything like "embarrassed" to be a American PERIOD.

Really, if you do not believe in tipping appropriately 15% to 20%. Just stay at home and eat. Or do take-out and pick-up your meals. .

Or just move out of the country. What he would tell a liberal.

But really, auto-tipping added I do not agree with on a bill. But still interesting read for ones I did in the previous segment. But the title still got me .......

Why doesn't the OP see it as THE AMERCAN WAY? THAT WAY FOR GENERATIONS?

Old 09-10-2019, 09:41 AM

3,201 posts, read 865,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Almost every diner considers their tips to be the server's pay. If they are paid by me via higher menu prices, why would I pay them again via tips? I wouldn't.

Have you waited tables? If so, would you trade what you made in tips for minimum wage or even minimum wage plus 50%?

Many servers at higher-end restaurants oppose being placed under minimum wage rates for that reason. I believe early experience has shown tips are not disappearing where states have mandated a full minimal wage. Maybe fallen some, but most are still tipping.

What I object to is the expansion of tipping to other settings. And also pressure to tip 25% while at the same time the minimum wage is being applied (and rising). My DD's first job a couple of years back was as a junior restaurant hostess. Totally inexperienced. Her base wage rate was over $13 an hour. This was a mid-level sit-down chain restaurant.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:43 AM

31,098 posts, read 15,944,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Many servers at higher-end restaurants oppose being placed under minimum wage rates for that reason. I believe early experience has shown tips are not disappearing where states have mandated a full minimal wage. Maybe fallen some, but most are still tipping.

What I object to is the expansion of tipping to other settings. And also pressure to tip 25% while at the same time the minimum wage is being applied (and rising). My DD's first job a couple of years back was as a junior restaurant hostess. Totally inexperienced. Her base wage rate was over $13 an hour. This was a mid-level sit-down chain restaurant.
If my state were to move to minimum wage, I'd automatically tip less because I know I'd be billed via menu price for that extra money.

I'm not paying twice.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Depends on the state.

https://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm

There are anecdotal stories that when a state or county or municipality aligns Minimum Tipped and Minimum Wage, the public is less inclined to tip, especially in the low- midpoint markets.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:49 AM

11,349 posts, read 2,975,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

Tips are not guaranteed though, you could work like crazy for a large dinner party and have them tip $3. or nothing at all.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:51 AM

3,201 posts, read 865,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Blame the business, not the person ringing up the order.

So what if he/ she glares?
Don't understand. Are you saying the restaurant wants employees to start pressuring customers for tips to offset owner paid salaries? That would be an easy way to lose customers. There may well be reasons for the business owner to start using the square card readers other than (or not at all) to pressure customers to tip. IDNK.

A wonderful upscale chain (full table service) just switched to pads used both to take orders and process payments. Their servers are careful to step back so they can't see the tip selected. Pre-technology, of course, the customer simply wrote the tip onto the credit card slip then returned it to the folder.

Who wants to start what's meant to be a relaxing meal with a negative interchange with an employee sending a message that the customers is a "cheapskate."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies