U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 10:44 AM

31,098 posts, read 15,944,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Time to move on ... one last glance at the article middle-age-mom attached. From the Square reader data, "average tip percentage" for heating, plumbing, AC is 14%. What? That sounds like its the average tip on the total payment, not that 14% percent of people are tipping their plumbers.

I have never in my life tipped a plumber. Where is this coming from?
My GUESS is the people being polled are doing a little fibbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 AM

47,265 posts, read 34,659,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Seven View Post
What is Canada's tipping model? Is it the same or similar to America's or is it more like Europe's?
Minimum wage is set at the Provence level.

https://www.retailcouncil.org/resour...e-by-province/

It is my understanding that there is no difference between Minimum Tipped Wage and Minimum Wage.
Nonetheless, tipping is alive and well throughout Canada- 15-20% norm.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:45 AM
AFP

6,990 posts, read 4,369,533 times
I don't like the USA tipping model nor do I like that the full prices including taxes and fees isn't listed on the product before they ring you up. That $2.99 item isn't really $2.99, its a stupid price anyway just round it up one cent with the tax included so I can add it all up ahead of time.

Last edited by AFP; 09-10-2019 at 11:01 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 11:07 AM

22,448 posts, read 22,029,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I've heard of examples where customers are literally pursued out of the restaurant by the owner demanding a higher tip
Where in the world do you live? If that happened in my neck of the woods the restaurant would go out of business quick.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:15 AM

5,898 posts, read 1,491,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I am , by no means, a cheap person. I always tip more than the suggested amount, if I get good service. However, it has gotten way out of hand. I don't mind at a restaurant, or if a pizza is delivered to my door, but certain things do not fall into the category of being tip-worthy.

For example, I go through a Dunkin Donuts drive thru, and they have a cup for tips sitting there. What did that person do to deserve extra compensation...…….turn around and put a doughnut in a bag ?

I work retail and wait on people all day long, solve their problems, and research questions to get them the right answers. NEVER ONCE did I think I should be tipped, even though some customers have tried to give me money at the end.

We have friends who visit us from England, and they are always confused as to when and where to tip, as it is foreign to them. It really has gotten crazy.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:17 AM

5,898 posts, read 1,491,853 times
I have to say, I like it when we go to Europe and don't need to worry about tipping. The first couple of times we went, we were stupid Americans and did. (They must love that). But we were visiting a European person and they said emphatically, don't do it. They don't expect it. I thought they would hate us at first but we still got mostly good service. As I stated before, they take pride in being good at their job and don't expect tips.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I have to say, I like it when we go to Europe and don't need to worry about tipping. The first couple of times we went, we were stupid Americans and did. (They must love that). But we were visiting a European person and they said emphatically, don't do it. They don't expect it. I thought they would hate us at first but we still got mostly good service. As I stated before, they take pride in being good at their job and don't expect tips.
So, you'd prefer the restaurant add 20% to your bill automatically as a tip to be paid to your server?

Old 09-10-2019, 11:26 AM

18 posts, read 13,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Switch from tipping to regular pay, your bill goes up, you pay for services regardless if it good or horrible and overall service will decline in all but the high end restaurants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That’s the part that many anti tippers seem to ignore. The cost of service is baked into the price of the meals, in countries where tipping is not customary.
This is true but not completely. Let's say if I go to a restaurant ordering a steak and couple glasses of wine, I will be most likely having to pay twice the tips compare to if I order a pasta dish plus a couple of soda. The amount of works for the wait staff are about the same in both cases.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmei View Post
This is true but not completely. Let's say if I go to a restaurant ordering a steak and couple glasses of wine, I will be most likely having to pay twice the tips compare to if I order a pasta dish plus a couple of soda. The amount of works for the wait staff are about the same in both cases.
Do you ever eat at a restaurant and just have water (free to drink)?

It typically evens out in the end.

Would you rather pay the server the same (remember, either way YOU pay the server) regardless if he gives you great service or poor sevice and your steak arrives cold with the wrong sides?

Old 09-10-2019, 11:40 AM

18 posts, read 13,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Do you ever eat at a restaurant and just have water (free to drink)?

It typically evens out in the end.

Would you rather pay the server the same (remember, either way YOU pay the server) regardless if he gives you great service or poor sevice and your steak arrives cold with the wrong sides?
Well, I don't think that's the best argument. You receive good or bad services from all type of businesses. If I do not like their services, I will not be a repeating customer.

As for the water drinking analogy, that's exactly my point. If I spent 1 hour in a restaurant drinking water and ordering the cheapest food on the menu, does the wait staff deserve much less from me compare to the next table who ordered steak and wine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies