U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2019, 11:44 AM

31,098 posts, read 15,944,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmei View Post
Well, I don't think that's the best argument. You receive good or bad services from all type of businesses. If I do not like their services, I will not be a repeating customer.

As for the water drinking analogy, that's exactly my point. If I spent 1 hour in a restaurant drinking water and ordering the cheapest food on the menu, does the wait staff deserve much less from me compare to the next table who ordered steak and wine?
Just to make sure I understand you correct, you'll stop going to a restaurant once you have bad service?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 11:48 AM

423 posts, read 63,679 times
I don't understand the anti-tipping attitude?

You either pay for it up front, or you pay for it afterwards. Most waitstaff in the US want to keep tipping vs. a regular wage. Seems that most think they make more money that way.

It's not terribly hard math to add 20% to your own damn bill at a restaurant. Whether you do it, or the restaurant does it in the form of a "service charge" (common in Europe).... you arrive at the same conclusion/price. So what's the big deal?

Is there an explosion of people who EXPECT tips outside the realm of the restaurant world? Yes. And that can be ridiculous.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:51 AM

18 posts, read 13,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Just to make sure I understand you correct, you'll stop going to a restaurant once you have bad service?
Correct! Or if the food is bad. It's restaurant owners' responsibility to train their staff properly, not me.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:56 AM

16,135 posts, read 13,880,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
I seriously doubt anyone got booted from a bar, and if so, they were leaving anyway since they already paid.

At that, tipping is a stupid thing here. It does not even make sense really, but neither do property taxes, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I avoid tipping by avoiding restaurants.

Seriously, who wants to eat out these days, with the crappy food + crappy service, and then be expected to tip 20-25% on top of that?

Time to take the bull by the horns and "opt out" by cooking at home. I pray for the day when everyone else gets smart and boycotts restaurants en masse.
There are many restaurants that are quite good, and no one expects a 20-25 percent tip though it would be nice. The expectation is 15-20.

Quote:
Switch from tipping to regular pay, your bill goes up, you pay for services regardless if it good or horrible and overall service will decline in all but the high end restaurants.
Let it go up then, it is a stupid system, should do away with it. It sort of is done away and it is voluntary though because despite the tips, the business still has an obligation to ensure the tipped staff gets paid at least minimum wage if for example there were zero tips.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:57 AM

23,724 posts, read 11,754,465 times
Quote:
Tipping is great for both the consumer and hard working servers.

Tipping doesn't work out to well for crappy servers who feel entitled to tips.
The flaw here is that you tip based on the waiter/waitress, but it is possible that the person you are tipping is the least responsible for your food and or wait time. mean while the other people responsible for your food are paid a living wage and dont care about tips.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:02 PM

12,922 posts, read 8,977,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Minimum wage is set at the Provence level.

https://www.retailcouncil.org/resour...e-by-province/

It is my understanding that there is no difference between Minimum Tipped Wage and Minimum Wage.
Nonetheless, tipping is alive and well throughout Canada- 15-20% norm.
Yes it is set by the province.

I haven't checked all the provinces, but here in BC there is a slightly lower minimum wage for liquor servers.
There is also set daily minimum wages for certain jobs like Live in Home Support Workers.

The link you provided, goes into some detail on each.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/e...s/minimum-wage

Old 09-10-2019, 12:05 PM

16,135 posts, read 13,880,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The flaw here is that you tip based on the waiter/waitress, but it is possible that the person you are tipping is the least responsible for your food and or wait time. mean while the other people responsible for your food are paid a living wage and dont care about tips.
Ir depends, and the rule was recently changed to allow the cooks to legally get tips, whereas before they were not allowed to. Not every place does it though, but it is common to share with the busboy. When me wife worked as a server during college, she had to share with everyone, sucked really, the full wage staff were getting part of her tips as well. But she, like everyone, lied about how much in tips they got so they would not have to share, which was ten percent.

I never understood though was the percent thing, like carry out a plate to me whether it is a $10 meal or a $50 meal, is the exact same labor, yet one warrants more in tips for doing so?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 PM

22,868 posts, read 9,754,332 times
Quote:
Switch from tipping to regular pay, your bill goes up, you pay for services regardless if it good or horrible and overall service will decline in all but the high end restaurants.
Maybe in the the US, but not if the wait staff is paid a decent wage and takes pride in their work.

Service in Europe is good and they don't have a tipping culture, per se like in the US. It's not a universal cause and effect. It's a cultural thing. The US restaurant industry is built on the system where the customers pay a huge portion of the waitstaff and bartender salaries for restaurant owners, and it is not treated as a real profession.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:08 PM

12,922 posts, read 8,977,705 times
I prefer the tipping system in Canada and the US, over what some European countries do, like France, where " Service Compris" is automatically added.

Heck in Italy, the bill included, the tip, a charge for " service " which meant the use of plates and cutlery, and an entertainment fee, when there wasn't even any entertainment.

I don't understand why some here think there is no tipping culture in Europe. There is, it's just more " invisible ", at least in restaurants/cafes.

Depending on the restaurant of course, a server in Australia may make more per hour, but at the end of the night, the total amount made could be considerably less. I worked in places where my tip portion was triple what my wage earnings were.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:14 PM

23,724 posts, read 11,754,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
I don't understand the anti-tipping attitude?

You either pay for it up front, or you pay for it afterwards. Most waitstaff in the US want to keep tipping vs. a regular wage. Seems that most think they make more money that way.

It's not terribly hard math to add 20% to your own damn bill at a restaurant. Whether you do it, or the restaurant does it in the form of a "service charge" (common in Europe).... you arrive at the same conclusion/price. So what's the big deal?

Is there an explosion of people who EXPECT tips outside the realm of the restaurant world? Yes. And that can be ridiculous.
Math isnt the problem. The problem is how tipping works and how costs are shifted.

You shouldnt have to pay 20 dollars for a 10 dollar meal to subsidize someone elses meal and a 3rd person's pay.

In some cases, the owner actually takes all tips, takes more than half for himself and then evenly distributes the remainder of the funds to the entire wait staff for the day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies