Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 05:31 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,522,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Switch from tipping to regular pay, your bill goes up, you pay for services regardless if it good or horrible and overall service will decline in all but the high end restaurants.
The converse is that even when receiving poor or average service in the US, a tip is still expected and often aggressively pursued. And a lot of the time, the "service" is intrusive faux polite asking how everything is etc. Tipping doesn't necessarily increase the quality of service.

Unfortunately the expectation of tips is creeping in steadily in Australian restaurants. It's laughable. Here these people are being well paid, and as you say, the service cost is factored into the price already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 05:33 AM

197 posts, read 97,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That’s the part that many anti tippers seem to ignore. The cost of service is baked into the price of the meals, in countries where tipping is not customary.
No, I understand that perfectly well and I prefer it.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:35 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
The problem started when for some reason, tipping became to be considered obligatory.

To Insure Prompt Service

Now, tipping is expected in situations where it never used to be, such as places with counter service vs table service by actual wait staff.

And at some point the "proper" amount to tip jumped from 10% to 20% .......

How that happened, seemingly overnight, I have no idea.

And I never understood the concept of basing the amount of the tip on the cost of the meal....

If I order a $10.00 burger off the menu at a steak house, the wait staff still does everything that they would do if I ordered a $50.00 steak.

Last edited by FatBob96; 09-10-2019 at 05:44 AM..

Old 09-10-2019, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
The converse is that even when receiving poor or average service in the US, a tip is still expected and often aggressively pursued.
I've heard of examples where customers are literally pursued out of the restaurant by the owner demanding a higher tip

Old 09-10-2019, 05:42 AM

3,041 posts, read 5,000,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Switch from tipping to regular pay, your bill goes up, you pay for services regardless if it good or horrible and overall service will decline in all but the high end restaurants.
An Asian relative who lives in suburban France loves the US tipping system. With a white girlfriend, he routinely gets poor service and has no recourse.

In the US, at least he could respond financially.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Bullcrap-

We tip minimum 30%- usually more. My wife tipped 50% last night after dinner.

These are working people who are busting their butts to make ends meet. Have some appreciation and sympathy.

Being in a service job like that would suck, as the employee has to be nice, even to jerks. Would you want their job? Try to be a little bright part of their day with a random act of kindness. It is infectious.
^ And this self-righteous attitude is why I hate the tipping culture in the U.S.

Old 09-10-2019, 05:59 AM

2,573 posts, read 3,502,557 times
Tipping in the US is a scam most likely started by restaurant owners to keep more money in their pockets. Those who claim tipping leads to better service should visit Europe and see if that actually is true. Restaurant owners pay them enough and they work in happy mood all the time. Go there and try.

Tipping is also going out of control as it keeps increasing 15% then20% and now some claims less than 30% would be an insult!! I took a shuttle to car rental and all driver did hand me my only bag. I was forced to give him a dollar and he looked back at me like I am insulting him!! WTF!!!! I wanted to grab that back from his hand!

Old 09-10-2019, 06:16 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Practically everyone I meet who is visiting the U.S. from another country has the same complaint, and sometimes horror stories, about tipping. It's strange enough that prices listed in the U.S. almost never include sales tax, and even stranger when tipping is factored into the equation so that the total price is 20-35% higher than the listed price. Nowadays you are expected to tip for your taxi ride, your morning coffee, who knows what else. A couple I met from Australia the other day told me about how a bar kicked them out for tipping "only" $8 on a round of drinks that that bar said were supposed to warrant a $12 tip.
Yeah it's mystifying to many foreigners our tipping system. I agree it's gone to far...on the other hand, when in a foreign land, you should familiarize yourself with their customs.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
when in a foreign land, you should familiarize yourself with their customs.
Tipping isn't a well-defined custom, as evidenced by the disagreement you can seen in this thread over how much, when, why, etc.

Old 09-10-2019, 06:21 AM

21,927 posts, read 9,494,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That’s the part that many anti tippers seem to ignore. The cost of service is baked into the price of the meals, in countries where tipping is not customary.
That's true. I know this is just another way you liberals bash the US. But the reason that would never work here is because people who do that job in other countries do it for life and take pride in the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies