Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 09:56 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
For years when tips of 15% were considered the norm, I tipped 20% on tax, and more if we kept asking for things. What I object to is being asked to tip at the counter before minimal "service" is even received.

The other night we went to a Panera-like chain restaurant where payment was made at the time of the order. They were using one of the new square credit card readers that "suggested" large tips. I hit "no tip." The man at the register craned his neck to watch what was being entered, then glared.

The customer places their order at the counter. Finds a table, not waits in an organized line for a hostess to show them to the next available table. Wipes down the table. Gets their silverware. Buses their table. Refills their own drinks. Returns to the counter for condiments etc. Turns out we did not have to wait for the food. I gave the young girl who dropped it off a $1 thank-you tip.

These employees do not fall within the tipped-minimum wage category that is less than the base wage. Our local minimum wages are far above the Federal base. Pressuring customers like this to extend where they should tip is unacceptable. The square credit card readers up the psychological pressure. Instead of ignoring the "tip jar" it's now necessary to hit "No" in front of the cashier.

Using cash will save you hundreds of dollars a year vs using a debit or credit card.

No automatic tip amounts on CC receipts to try to guilt you into tipping more than you should or someone who shouldn't be a tipped employee.
And you're more aware of how much you're spending when you use cash.

I also attempt to give cash tips directly to the wait staff member who served me vs just leaving it on the table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 09:57 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post

Why doesn't the OP see it as THE AMERCAN WAY? THAT WAY FOR GENERATIONS?
Tipping is downright patriotic.

MAGA, blah,blah,blah.

Of the endless things an American might be embarrassed about, can’t imagine tipping being in the top 100.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:04 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,340,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Using cash will save you hundreds of dollars a year vs using a debit or credit card.

No automatic tip amounts on CC receipts to try to guilt you into tipping more than you should or someone who shouldn't be a tipped employee.
And you're more aware of how much you're spending when you use cash.

I also attempt to give cash tips directly to the wait staff member who served me vs just leaving it on the table.
I used to always leave cash, thinking it better for the server. But with the tip pools, the daughter who works in the restaurant tells me the cash needs to be turned in each night, counted for distribution. Their system is 50 percent credited to the server; 50 percent to the tip pool. It's time consuming, with the office clerk (one of her good friends) stuck at the restaurant late until its done. As for CCs, no need to derail the thread but I'm the queen of churning them for thousands of dollars in benefits.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:07 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Don't understand. Are you saying the restaurant wants employees to start pressuring customers for tips to offset owner paid salaries? That would be an easy way to lose customers. There may well be reasons for the business owner to start using the square card readers other than (or not at all) to pressure customers to tip. IDNK.

A wonderful upscale chain (full table service) just switched to pads used both to take orders and process payments. Their servers are careful to step back so they can't see the tip selected. Pre-technology, of course, the customer simply wrote the tip onto the credit card slip then returned it to the folder.

Who wants to start what's meant to be a relaxing meal with a negative interchange with an employee sending a message that the customers is a "cheapskate."
The decision to use a Tipping Prompt rests solely on the merchant. Those merchants that include this feature, typically use it to recruit and retain employees.

https://www.today.com/money/guilt-ti...eryone-t126151

The Tip Prompt does seem to encourage people to tip for self serve.

I don’t tip at self serve places. If the cashier gives me the stink eye, I assume he/ she has gas.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:10 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I can appreciate that your situation is not the same as that experienced by a majority of servers.

The “ tipping out” thing was customary when I was in high school, a long, long time ago, before chain restaurants dominated the middle market.
I worked at IHOP in my early 20s and 51 now. We didn’t share our tips, Sounds like to me that the managers are taking their share.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
I've heard of examples where customers are literally pursued out of the restaurant by the owner demanding a higher tip
In the U. S. the restaurant industry would quite strongly lobby against raising the min. pay of restaurant workers to everybody else. It's not fair how min. pay for restaurant workers is much less than local min. wage. At least it isn't the custom to tip fast food workers, probably because they make minimum wage or better.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The decision to use a Tipping Prompt rests solely on the merchant. Those merchants that include this feature, typically use it to recruit and retain employees.

https://www.today.com/money/guilt-ti...eryone-t126151

The Tip Prompt does seem to encourage people to tip for self serve.

I don’t tip at self serve places. If the cashier gives me the stink eye, I assume he/ she has gas.
Thanks for the article. That was spot on. Interesting read. This I object to:

"ShopKeep, one of the industry’s leading cloud-based point-of-sale providers, says about 23 percent of its merchants have enabled a tip screen for their businesses. Among its “quick serve” clients, like cafés and bakeries, about 49 percent have the tip options turned on. But even 12 percent of its more traditional retailers — which include everything from clothing boutiques, flower shops and liquor stores to beauty salons and barber shops — have enabled that functionality."

No issue with beauty salons and barber shops since there tips are part of the customer payment. Don't stylists often work as independent contractors where they pay the salon owner for a chair but then make most of their income from the tips? That distinction is where the idea that you don't tip owners (not they say) comes in.

American tipping is confusing. Recently read that manicurists in nail salons do not receive minimum wage but live on tips. (Never used one in my life.) But I had no idea. OTOH, hotel maids receive minimum wage (or more depending on the market, hotel). There I tend to leave a set number of dollars a night. But then I don't tip for anyplace that breaks out the cleaning fee (AirBnbs).

Bloody confusing.

Old 09-10-2019, 10:22 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Oh boy........ a new tipping thread....... It's been ages since the last one. There has already been a poster boasting of tipping minimum 30%, and his wife tipped 50% the other night, for good service, and the thread has barely begun.

Popcorn here, and make it snappy!.......

Old 09-10-2019, 10:30 AM

8,447 posts, read 4,751,235 times
What is Canada's tipping model? Is it the same or similar to America's or is it more like Europe's?

Old 09-10-2019, 10:32 AM

Time to move on ... one last glance at the article middle-age-mom attached. From the Square reader data, "average tip percentage" for heating, plumbing, AC is 14%. What? That sounds like its the average tip on the total payment, not that 14% percent of people are tipping their plumbers.

I have never in my life tipped a plumber. Where is this coming from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies