U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 11:21 AM

4,591 posts, read 2,708,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post

Most Federal employees are not located in Washington DC. They are assigned to those field offices, or maybe located near resources or people that need them - those who use their services (think Social Security) or local officials. Who would ever locate the National Labs (nuclear) in Washington DC? No reason for much of the Forest Service to be there instead of in the Parks.
I agree with you but I just have to point out the U.S. Forest Service is NOT the same thing as the National Parks system. The U.S. Forest Service is under the Department of Agriculture while the National Park system is under the Department of the Interior.

It's a pet peeve of mine but it seems like the vast majority of Americans can't tell the difference between Forest Service, National Parks, & Bureau of Land Management, not to mention the various state agencies.

Some anarchist will come along to say there are too many departments and too many federal employees but they won't know what any of these departments/employees actually do so let's just ignore them.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 04:04 AM

34,958 posts, read 34,126,122 times
I would like to move the State Department to Alaska.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:35 AM

12,155 posts, read 8,727,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Do any of you realize how much it costs to move a federal employee? I am a federal employee who moved because of a Brac. The tax payer paid for me to have a ten day house hunting trip. They paid for my hotel, all my meals, vehicle, and gas. On the 10 day trip I was also given administrative leave meaning I got paid and didn't have to take any leave. It was a 10 day all expenses paid vacation for me and several thousand others who made the move. And when I closed on my house, the tax payer paid for my leave then too. Saving money my butt. It costs move to move people than not.
They should have also paid all your house expenses such as commissions and closing cost. Did they pay the movers? That runs us 5-10 grand.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:30 AM

20,775 posts, read 12,479,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Your lack of empathy for military families and taxpayers is sad.
I guess you do not know what some others here know, I am a veteran’s widow. He died after he returned home from some complications serving his country. 2- I’m still very much involved with some troops. Mostly marines so... Please - and I am a tax payer since I was 16 . You barked up the wrong tree.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:42 AM

15,087 posts, read 10,936,395 times
Quote:
Do any of you realize how much it costs to move a federal employee? I am a federal employee who moved because of a Brac. The tax payer paid for me to have a ten day house hunting trip. They paid for my hotel, all my meals, vehicle, and gas. On the 10 day trip I was also given administrative leave meaning I got paid and didn't have to take any leave. It was a 10 day all expenses paid vacation for me and several thousand others who made the move. And when I closed on my house, the tax payer paid for my leave then too. Saving money my butt. It costs move to move people than not.
In this case those moving expenses will be recouped with two years due the the difference in cost-of-living pay adjustments. More importantly though, the cost of housing the agency offices will make it money saving within a year, at most. When HRC was moved from the DC/Northern Virginia area to Kentucky seven years ago (you know during a different president’s term) the entire cost of the move, including personnel personal moving expenses, building a huge new building, moving equipment, furnishings, and records, and buying new stuff for the building, was payed for in savings at the 8 month mark.

Now, if they were being moved from Kansas to the DC area that would be a different story.

Old 09-15-2019, 08:50 AM

8,833 posts, read 2,595,233 times
Quote:
private industry would have done more for you.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:11 AM

9,663 posts, read 10,376,949 times
When you think of Missouri and Jobs the words loses and cuts come next in the chain of thought. This move may be a weak effort to shore up loses and keep a promise. Not a decent way to use federal employees and hasn't Trump hurt farmers enough already?

Old 09-15-2019, 10:14 AM

28,265 posts, read 19,683,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
When you think of Missouri and Jobs the words loses and cuts come next in the chain of thought.
no, they don’t.

Quote:
This move may be a weak effort to shore up loses and keep a promise. Not a decent way to use federal employees and hasn't Trump hurt farmers enough already?
these aren’t farmers. they have precious little positive impact on farmers.

Old 09-15-2019, 03:46 PM

9,663 posts, read 10,376,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
no, they don’t.

these aren’t farmers. they have precious little positive impact on farmers.
https://www.usda.gov/media/press-rel...etaliation-and

One would think that a governmental agency impacting agricultural markets would also have impact on people involved in agriculture.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 PM

28,265 posts, read 19,683,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
https://www.usda.gov/media/press-rel...etaliation-and

One would think that a governmental agency impacting agricultural markets would also have impact on people involved in agriculture.
are those efforts carried out by the USDA units being moved to KC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or