U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 11:09 AM

9,947 posts, read 5,973,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
So we only pass laws against crimes that are commonly committed but not against rarely committed crime?
It wasn’t against the law for doctors to write medical exemptions for patients who, in their medical judgement, qualified for them. We’re talking about a new law enacted due to a .05% increase in medical exemptions.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:10 AM

1,498 posts, read 1,448,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Thereís no evidence that a homeschooler started the measles outbreak at Disneyland. Iíve never even heard this as a theory.

On that same note, what about all of the under-vaccinated (by todayís schedule) adults being out in public? I had the MMR vaccine as a child but not even close the number of doses that children of today get. Iíve never had a vaccination for hepatitis for instance and neither have many adults yet we are out in public daily. Iíve never had a rotavirus vaccine and neither have most adults yet we shop in the same stores as everyone else. Less then half of adults get a flu vaccine in any given year.
Yup... and when your child is over 18 and out of a public school setting he can smoke, vote, drive too fast and make any other bad choice he wishes. The likelihood that those poor choices will impact a young and vulnerable person are much less likely.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Yup... and when your child is over 18 and out of a public school setting he can smoke, vote, drive too fast and make any other bad choice he wishes. The likelihood that those poor choices will impact a young and vulnerable person are much less likely.
You missed my point completely. Most adults are not up to date on vaccines according to today’s childhood schedule. You’re not up to date. I’m not up to date, neither are the vast majority of adults who go out in public. Yet a child who’s just one dose short or declines one single vaccine is banned from school or has to jump through hoops to find a doctor who will believe them and allow them a medical exemption for a vaccine that caused them or a close family member harm.

Old 09-11-2019, 11:32 AM

6,833 posts, read 4,722,245 times
Quote:
It wasn’t against the law for doctors to write medical exemptions for patients who, in their medical judgement, qualified for them. We’re talking about a new law enacted due to a .05% increase in medical exemptions.
Not true. Doctors had guidelines to follow when writing waivers. It was not solely based on their medical judgement. Some wrote exemptions for things like Asthma or psoriasis despite those conditions not making vaccines contraindicated.

And has been pointed out to you repeatedly in this thread, .05% represent a 300% increase in medical exemptions. That’s a pretty significant number, but yes it does sound more trivial your way.

This is what the new law does for anyone not up on the specifics:

Senate Bill 276 requires public health officials to review exemptions at any school found to have an immunization rate of less than 95%. The new law also mandates a public health review of any doctor who grants more than five medical exemptions in a calendar year. The state is now authorized to revoke any exemptions it deems fraudulent or medically inaccurate.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:01 PM

6,777 posts, read 3,740,040 times
Quote:
You missed my point completely. Most adults are not up to date on vaccines according to today’s childhood schedule. You’re not up to date. I’m not up to date, neither are the vast majority of adults who go out in public. Yet a child who’s just one dose short or declines one single vaccine is banned from school or has to jump through hoops to find a doctor who will believe them and allow them a medical exemption for a vaccine that caused them or a close family member harm.
They do not want to hear this. The vast majority of children ARE vaccinated. It is the ADULTS who aren't and threaten their 95% Herd Immunity but they are going to have a far much difficult time mandating adult vaccinations.

I had a run in with a couple of medical professionals on here when my grandson was born and I went into the NICU to see him, NO questions asked. Grandma, are you up to date on all your vaccines???? My last vaccination was in 1952 for DPT. They were INFURIATED that I was allowed into a NICU without a current Tdap or Flu shot showing my vaccination records. Maybe Shingles shot required as well? How about Peneumonia vaccination? BTW, all visitors except Parents and Grandparents were banned from going into the NICU. Is Mommy and Daddy with a baby in NICU fully up to date on vaccinations as well? I can tell you my daughters of their Newborn WEREN'T. Did we have to wear masks, put on gown, gloves, booties in NICU? No. Just no CELL PHONES allowed. lol

They cannot see the forest (ENTIRE population) for the trees (children). Cite me case law when was the last time an adult was thrown in jail under Jacobson v. Ma. for refusing to vaccinate THEMSELVES.

I do not trust them. Next will be home school children, and then on to adults if they proceed on this path. Bullies.

Edit. Take away Religious Exemptions to Vaccinates? All an Adult needs is flat out NO, I do not give my consent, don't touch me.

Last edited by Jo48; 09-11-2019 at 12:13 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 12:02 PM

8,125 posts, read 2,413,983 times
[quote=MissTerri;56151825]It wasnít against the law for doctors to write medical exemptions for patients who, in their medical judgement, qualified for them. Weíre talking about a new law enacted due to a .05% increase in medical exemptions.[/QUOTE]

You could post this in 72 pt neon flashing type and those with their eyes closed simply won't see it.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:14 PM

6,833 posts, read 4,722,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
They do not want to hear this. The vast majority of children ARE vaccinated. It is the ADULTS who aren't and threaten their 95% Herd Immunity.

I had a run in with a couple of medical professionals on here when my grandson was born and I went into the NICU to see him, NO questions asked. Grandma, are you up to date on all your vaccines???? My last vaccination was in 1952 for DPT. They were INFURIATED that I was allowed into a NICU without a current Tdap or Flu shot showing my vaccination records. Maybe Shingles shot required as well? How about Peneumonia vaccination? BTW, all visitors except Parents and Grandparents were banned from going into the NICU. Is Mommy and Daddy fully up to date on vaccinations as well? I can tell you my daughters of their Newborn WEREN'T.

They cannot see the forest (ENTIRE population) for the trees (children). Cite me case law when was the last time an adult was thrown in jail under Jacobson v. Ma. for refusing to vaccinate THEMSELVES.
Parents and Grandparents can risk their own children’s health as much as they like. They don’t have the right to endanger other people’s children. The laxness of your hospital NICU is astounding.

My daughter has a friend who had a baby a few months ago who had to have heart surgery immediately after birth. He had to be in the cardiac NICU of the Boston hospital where he was born for 3 weeks post surgery. His parents had to show proof of current TDaP vaccinations prior to his birth in order to be eligible to enter the NICU. All visitors and staff has the same requirements. They didn’t have to show proof of flu vaccine since he was not born during flu season, but that’s also required during flu months. Then there were the hand washing stations, masks, coverings for their clothes and masks.

I’m sure you view all this as unnecessary and intrusive, but I’m thinking most parents/families of medically fragile babies don’t.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:18 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,174,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
California Erodes Medical Exemptions for Vaccines

This is false.

The few children who legitimately have a risk to vaccines and therefore are not vaccinated will be made safer by attending a school that has a vaccinated population. They will not be kept from school. And those parents who choose to put their children at risk from preventable diseases can continue to do so as they find alternative educational sources that will not endanger the Public Health.

And contrary to what a few posters here are implying and spreading no one is forcing anyone to be vaccinated against their will or undermining valid medical exemptions. It is disingenuous to say otherwise and legislation that allows Public Health officials to better protect the Public Health is a no brainer and is not taking away liberties or choice. It will however protect all children in public school from the risks associated with the rising number of bogus medical exemptions.

Refusing vaccination for reasons other than a serious medical condition is unfair and dangerous to those who canít protect themselves. Those who remain unvaccinated pose a great risk to many, including: all children under 1 year old who are too young to be vaccinated, older adults who donít know their immunity has lapsed and others with impaired immune systems and those small numbers for whom immunization is medically contraindicated.

The elimination of the personal belief exemptions and verifying the validity of medical exemptions will prevent suffering and save lives. It is the right thing to do.

Vaccines work by protecting individuals, but their strength really lies in the ability to protect oneís neighbors. When there are not enough people within a community who are immunized, we are all at risk.

Personal and religious belief and bogus medical exemptions should be curtailed because some people, whether because of age or compromised immune systems, cannot receive vaccines. They depend on those around them to be protected. Vaccines arenít the only situation in which we are asked to care about our neighbors. Following traffic laws, drug tests at work, paying taxes ó these may go against our beliefs and make us bristle, but we ascribe to them because without this shared responsibility, civil society doesnít work.

Public health is no different.

An individual parent does not have the right to have their child in a public school if that child is unvaccinated, for the same reason health care workers should not be unvaccinated. It all comes down to a very simple reality: It puts other children at risk.

If you want to rely on the public trust then you have an obligation to the public trust as well, and part of that obligation is not sending your child to the public school, and other public places with children, if they arenít immunized against preventable, communicable diseases.

When it comes to issues of public health and safety we invariably have laws. Many of these laws are strictly enforced and immutable. For example, we donít allow philosophical exemptions to restraining young children in car seats or smoking in restaurants or stopping at stop signs.

People of course have the right to put their own child at risk and that is their choice, but they do not have the right to put everyone else in society at risk due to their unfounded fears and debunked opinions and personal beliefs.

This.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Not true. Doctors had guidelines to follow when writing waivers. It was not solely based on their medical judgement. Some wrote exemptions for things like Asthma or psoriasis despite those conditions not making vaccines contraindicated.

And has been pointed out to you repeatedly in this thread, .05% represent a 300% increase in medical exemptions. That’s a pretty significant number, but yes it does sound more trivial your way.

This is what the new law does for anyone not up on the specifics:

Senate Bill 276 requires public health officials to review exemptions at any school found to have an immunization rate of less than 95%. The new law also mandates a public health review of any doctor who grants more than five medical exemptions in a calendar year. The state is now authorized to revoke any exemptions it deems fraudulent or medically inaccurate.

Guidelines are not the same things as laws. No laws were broken when doctors wrote medical exemptions for their patients.

.05% is a tiny number no matter how you try to spin it. It is not significant.

Old 09-11-2019, 12:23 PM

[quote=newtovenice;56152303]
Quote:
It wasnít against the law for doctors to write medical exemptions for patients who, in their medical judgement, qualified for them. Weíre talking about a new law enacted due to a .05% increase in medical exemptions.[/QUOTE]

You could post this in 72 pt neon flashing type and those with their eyes closed simply won't see it.
It is pretty amazing. Itís such a tiny percentage of people who the state is going after. Itís absolute hysteria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or