U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:00 PM
 
6,833 posts, read 4,722,245 times
Reputation: 13544

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Herd immunity levels for eradication/full suppression of most diseases hover in the 80%ish range so obviously these are inadequate numbers to prevent susceptibility to outbreaks.
Yep. If any of those were your kids assigned school, how would you feel about it? Probably not so great.

 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:02 PM
 
9,943 posts, read 5,971,215 times
Reputation: 9885
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yes, letís move on. Whatís your take on a school with a 45.5% medical waiver rate? Reasonable? Legit?

No idea the details of those medical exemptions but it is a Waldorf Charter school so Iím not surprised. I suggest you steer clear of Waldorf schools if you fear being around populations that are not highly vaccinated because this is very common in that particular type of school. Almost all of the schools you listed in another post are Waldorf.
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:05 PM
 
9,943 posts, read 5,971,215 times
Reputation: 9885
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Yep. If any of those were your kids assigned school, how would you feel about it? Probably not so great.
The schools you posted about are all Charters and all Waldorf. Your kid would not be assigned to a charter school as you’d have to apply and try to choice in. You could easily avoid this as a parent. So no worries about your kid being assigned to any of these schools because that would not happen. A helpful hint: Avoid Waldorf Schools if you fear unvaccinated kids.
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM
 
Location: San Diego, CA
1,498 posts, read 1,447,480 times
Reputation: 1034
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You missed my point completely. Most adults are not up to date on vaccines according to todayís childhood schedule. Youíre not up to date. Iím not up to date, neither are the vast majority of adults who go out in public. Yet a child whoís just one dose short or declines one single vaccine is banned from school or has to jump through hoops to find a doctor who will believe them and allow them a medical exemption for a vaccine that caused them or a close family member harm.
I didn't miss your point at all. I simply don't agree with it. If I am short some vaccinations then they are not recommended for adults probably. I also am not sitting next to or playing with your child 8 hours a day, 200 days of the year.

Every kid possible should have current vaccinations, period. I know everyone thinks THEIR kids are special, but come on!
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 PM
Status: "Fall is Here!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
87,598 posts, read 103,766,976 times
Reputation: 33443
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Yeah, family history will not be a factor that doctors are able to take into consideration for exemptions. So if one child dies after getting a vaccine, his or her sibling wonít be exempted. If a child has a seizure, they wonít be exempted form future vaccines. So on and so forth. Itís extreme. Al due to a less then 1% increase in people obtaining medical exemptions. Very over-reaching legislation.
That is untrue. Family history is a contraindication for some vaccines.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/aci...dications.html
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:14 PM
 
6,833 posts, read 4,722,245 times
Reputation: 13544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
No idea the details of those medical exemptions but it is a Waldorf Charter school so Iím not surprised. I suggest you steer clear of Waldorf schools if you fear being around populations that are not highly vaccinated because this is very common in that particular type of school. Almost all of the schools you listed in another post are Waldorf.
No, itís not a Waldorf school. Go back and read my post.
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:18 PM
 
6,833 posts, read 4,722,245 times
Reputation: 13544
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
The schools you posted about are all Charters and all Waldorf. Your kid would not be assigned to a charter school as you’d have to apply and try to choice in. You could easily avoid this as a parent. So no worries about your kid being assigned to any of these schools because that would not happen. A helpful hint: Avoid Waldorf Schools if you fear unvaccinated kids.
I’m not familiar with Waldorf schools. Are they private or public? I do know charter schools are public.

Why should a parent have to avoid charter schools? Don’t they typically offer specialized curriculum based on an educational focus like foreign language or STEM or the arts? Shouldn’t parents feel comfortable that their child is safe regardless of what public school they select?

You keep avoiding my question: Is 45.5% medical waivers in a school a number that makes sense?
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:20 PM
 
9,943 posts, read 5,971,215 times
Reputation: 9885
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No, itís not a Waldorf school. Go back and read my post.

I did go back and read your post and I assumed you were talking about this school: Sebastapol Independent Charter.
Home | Sebastopol Charter

If youíre referring to a different school, let me know. Thereís been a lot of posts.
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:22 PM
 
5,167 posts, read 1,454,780 times
Reputation: 3026
Peanut gallery here: The specific school is actually irrelevant to the question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You keep avoiding my question: Is 45.5% medical waivers in a school a number that makes sense?
 
Old 09-11-2019, 04:24 PM
 
9,943 posts, read 5,971,215 times
Reputation: 9885
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I’m not familiar with Waldorf schools. Are they private or public? I do know charter schools are public.

Why should a parent have to avoid charter schools? Don’t they typically offer specialized curriculum based on an educational focus like foreign language or STEM or the arts? Shouldn’t parents feel comfortable that their child is safe regardless of what public school they select?

You keep avoiding my question: Is 45.5% medical waivers in a school a number that makes sense?
Public and private.

Why does a parent choose any school? I would assume based upon a multitude of factors. There are a lot of choices available. Why would a parent who wants their kid surrounded by highly vaccinated populations choose to send their kid to a school with a low vaccination rate when they have other choices, including their home school? Are they that entitled that every single school has to be a perfect fit for them?

I didn’t avoid your question. I don’t know what the medical waivers are for. I don’t know anything about the people who have them. How can I possibly answer that in any sort of honest or informed way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top