U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 09:49 AM

23,883 posts, read 29,029,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Her reaction did not fit the guidelines that are in place today. However, it was terrifying to me and I was in contact with the doctor that night and took her to the office in the morning.

Also, in my previous post when I spoke about unvaccinated people not carrying the diseases, I meant children as well. So what if your child sits next to an unvaccinated child in school? Or sleeps over at their house?
Unvaccinated children are protected by herd immunity unless the number of unvaccinated children is so high that herd immunity collapses.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:56 AM

6,835 posts, read 4,740,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Her reaction did not fit the guidelines that are in place today. However, it was terrifying to me and I was in contact with the doctor that night and took her to the office in the morning.

Also, in my previous post when I spoke about unvaccinated people not carrying the diseases, I meant children as well. So what if your child sits next to an unvaccinated child in school? Or sleeps over at their house?
Then I would be happy that my vaccinated child was part of protecting the child unable to receive the vaccine!

I want kids who legitimately need medical waivers to get them. I want every child who can be vaccinated to be vaccinated to protect those who cannot. That’s how we can best protect ALL kids.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:02 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,459,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
The World Health Organization has named vaccine hesitancy as one of the top threats to global health in 2019. This thread started out as a criticism of California's recent legislation (regarding validating medical exemptions). Legislation that will actually protect all children and will especially benefit the very vulnerable few who do indeed have medical reasons that prohibit them from being immunized.

What is puzzling is the insistence of some posters who continue to deny this beneficial legislation with arguments that seem more like trying to get folks to jeopardize our children's health and safety, and that of the general public's, rather than concern for those who do have valid medical contraindications to vaccines and therefore cannot be immunized. These weed filled arguments can be dangerous to individual precious babies and children, as well as detrimental to the overall Public Health, as they seem more like phony anti-vaccination talking points rather than concern for the Public Health of California, the USA , the Earth and the medically compromised child.

Children who genuinely need a medical exemption, and are not vaccinated, can’t attend a school if their school is not safe due to the percentages of non-vaccinated students who pose a dangerous risk to everyone. California is acting in the best interests of all children by enacting safety measures that will curtail the proliferation of bogus exemptions.

States mandate childhood vaccines for enrollment in our schools because all children should have the opportunity to be educated in a safe and healthy environment. A twisted concept of parental personal liberty should not risk the health and safety of millions of schoolchildren. Cancers that are preventable should be prevented. Viruses that are preventable should be eradicated. And the safety and efficacy of vaccines are no longer subject to serious debate. They work, and our public health officials must make sure more of our citizens are immunized against preventable and communicable diseases.

Refusing vaccination for reasons other than a serious medical condition is unfair and dangerous but it definitely remains a personal parental choice. Those parents who choose to place their children at risk to preventable serious illnesses and suffering certainly have that right, but they do not have the right to place anyone else's child in the school system in jeopardy with bogus medical exemptions.

The elimination of the personal belief exemptions and verifying the validity of medical exemptions will prevent suffering and save lives. It is the right thing to do, and medical exemptions in California is what this thread was about as the OP has frequently reminded posters.

To any parent on this thread who may be vaccine hesitant, and there are a few posters who do seem terribly fearful, please remember when it comes to providing accurate medical information, social media is a hot mess and referring to credible medical sources will be safer and is more reliable and more reassuring than any of us debating here. Your best reference for unbiased factual information: your pediatrician or any of the highly respected medical organizations such as the American Academy of Pediatricians, the AMA, the NIH or the CDC.

We are experiencing rising outbreaks of eliminated diseases like measles, and the World Health Organization has named vaccine hesitancy as one of the top threats to global health in 2019. This mother, grandmother, unabashed lover of babies and former R.N. begs you to obtain your information wisely as you decide.

Be aware of online “echo chambers” which suck in concerned parents with anti-vaxx material. Many of these echo chambers have hundreds of thousands of followers and much of the blame can be placed on profiteers: those who seek to exploit the ignorance and fears of parents and others for financial gain. They sell their own books and alternative lifestyles and bankroll themselves from GoFundMe campaigns. Any dissenting voice is a threat to their finances, so they encourage intense groupthink and mob mentality. Vaccine misinformation is a profitable online business with fatal consequences, so choose your information wisely. You know, as if your child's life depended upon it, because it does.
Thank you for this, particularly the highlighted section. Thank you also to UNC4me, Suzi_q2010, Katarina Witt and others for your very thoughtful and cogent contributions to this valuable thread. I think I am going to bow out now as I feel I am running out of any relevant contributions.

Cheers

Old 09-12-2019, 10:09 AM

87,774 posts, read 103,967,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Thank you for this, particularly the highlighted section. Thank you also to UNC4me, Suzi_q2010, Katarina Witt and others for your very thoughtful and cogent contributions to this valuable thread. I think I am going to bow out now as I feel I am running out of any relevant contributions.

Cheers
I know I have appreciated your contributions. Come back when you feel so moved.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM

10,092 posts, read 6,019,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
No, I worked where the real action is, community pediatrics! Now mind you, I respect ICU nurses greatly. I wouldn't want to do it.

However, LAY people tend to equate ICU with greater intelligence, just like people think EMTs are a higher level than nurses. To not put too fine a point on it, I don't believe this person. She offers no medical evidence that these problems she saw were caused by vaccines. It may come as some surprise to you, but doctor's offices and health departments do follow up on their patients; if anyone was admitted to the ICU, we'd know about it. Also, as I said, she could have reported these events to VAERS herself, but she didn't.

I would say that ICU nurses also work where all the action is. In no way was I saying, nor do I believe that ICU nurses are smarter or at a higher level. They just play a different role and have different experiences. Believe whatever you want.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Of course not, you all support OTHER people vaccinating their kids. You know that vaccines work and you want everyone else to assume rare risk of a serious complication. If everyone else provides the herd immunity you are perfectly willing to roll with it. Why should you take the risk if the rest of society assumes it.
Another disingenuous post. And totally false. Nice try though.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:15 AM

23,883 posts, read 29,029,280 times
Quote:

Cheers
You are welcome! Thanks for the support. Do feel free to continue to comment. Your contribution is valuable.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
I think her stance is more she wants a Chinese Menu for vaccinations with parents having the ability to pick and choose which vaccines their kids get and when instead of having to follow the CDC schedule.

A lot of that attitude arose when HPV was added. Lots of pearl clutching in some circles where they fear vaccination against a sexually transmitted disease would encourage their kids to have (gasp) S E X. (Not pointing at anyone in this thread, but there are people with this viewpoint)

And yes, those who do refuse vaccination for non medical reasons are hiding in the herd provided by others. They fail to realize there will be a tipping point if more and more refuse (see Measles outbreaks worldwide for a glimpse of that rosy future).

Your understanding of people’s motives just reeks of arrogance and misunderstanding. A lot of people with concerns about the HPV vaccine weighed the risk/rewards and decided that it wasn’t worth it. Too bad you can’t think outside of your own narrow mindset and try to really understand whee people are coming from.

If everyone stopped vaccinating today, I would not have a problem with that. Hiding in the herd is BS.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:17 AM

4,224 posts, read 2,920,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Then I would be happy that my vaccinated child was part of protecting the child unable to receive the vaccine!

I want kids who legitimately need medical waivers to get them. I want every child who can be vaccinated to be vaccinated to protect those who cannot. That’s how we can best protect ALL kids.
Good, then you're not afraid of and shunning the child who didn't get vaccinated.

It just circles back to the main point of the thread, should the government get in the middle of doctor/patient decisions. Everything isn't black and white and on a list. It's been disturbing to see parents mocked as anti-vaxxers or afraid of autism or brainwashed by social media. Unless you're in the room with the doctor and parent, it's not fair to say they have stupid motives to avoid the vaccines.

I'm glad the rest of my kids and grandkids are vaccinated, and thankful they didn't react as bad as my youngest daughter.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Predictable response.

You can bet that if no one vaccinated and polio, mumps, measles and other preventable diseases were running rampant that those same "choice" parents would be lining up for vaccines. They certainly are making a conscious decision to let others to carry the load.

I think you’d be surprised to find out that you’re wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or