U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 10:21 AM

10,092 posts, read 6,019,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Is California only the 3rd state to do away with waivers other than medical? I know there are some that do both religious and personal and some that do one or the other, but for some reason I had 5 with medical only stuck in my head.

Are there any other states people are aware of with legislation pending to end all but medical waivers? Iíd be interested to see which way the country is leaning on this issue.
Mississippi, West Virginia, California, New York and Maine.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
When the measles outbreak hit Michigan, the health department in the county effected administered an exponentially higher number of MMR vaccines than they did in the same time frame the previous year.

When a disease becomes a reality instead of just a faint possibility, parents make very different decisions.

Because they were also encouraging boosters for adults.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Unvaccinated children are protected by herd immunity unless the number of unvaccinated children is so high that herd immunity collapses.
And you would support Kara having to vaccinate her child who had a scary reaction just so you could feel safer?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Then I would be happy that my vaccinated child was part of protecting the child unable to receive the vaccine!

I want kids who legitimately need medical waivers to get them. I want every child who can be vaccinated to be vaccinated to protect those who cannot. Thatís how we can best protect ALL kids.
Do you not understand that Kara would have to decide between giving her daughter more vaccines after having a very scary reaction or not be able to attending school? Kara is the kind of parent who this legislation would hurt. Can you acknowledge that you would be in favor of denying Karaís daughter entry to school?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Good, then you're not afraid of and shunning the child who didn't get vaccinated.

It just circles back to the main point of the thread, should the government get in the middle of doctor/patient decisions. Everything isn't black and white and on a list. It's been disturbing to see parents mocked as anti-vaxxers or afraid of autism or brainwashed by social media. Unless you're in the room with the doctor and parent, it's not fair to say they have stupid motives to avoid the vaccines.

I'm glad the rest of my kids and grandkids are vaccinated, and thankful they didn't react as bad as my youngest daughter.
Great post. I think that people are too quick to label people and assume that they are stupid and mock them for having a different experience and perspective. Itís incredibly divisive.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:32 AM

6,835 posts, read 4,740,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Your understanding of peopleís motives just reeks of arrogance and misunderstanding. A lot of people with concerns about the HPV vaccine weighed the risk/rewards and decided that it wasnít worth it. Too bad you canít think outside of your own narrow mindset and try to really understand whee people are coming from.

If everyone stopped vaccinating today, I would not have a problem with that. Hiding in the herd is BS.
I did not say the attitude about the HPV vaccine was shared by all who question or refuse that vaccine, but simply pointed out that was and is an issue for some. One of my daughters was in middle school when the HPV vaccine came out and one did hear the ďThis vaccine is a license to have sexĒ argument. It was also all over the news as well where religious groups were incensed over a vaccine that prevented a sexually transmitted disease.

Sorry I hit a nerve. I did not say or imply that you agreed with that argument.

If you truly believe herd immunity is BS and that the rate of deaths and disease would not rise if nobody got vaccinated, I donít know what to say. Thatís an extremist view and one not supported by any heath organization or statistical studies on vaccine efficacy.

Itís rather baffling why anyone would be for more death and disease.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Do you not understand that Kara would have to decide between giving her daughter more vaccines after having a very scary reaction or not be able to attending school? Kara is the kind of parent who this legislation would hurt. Can you acknowledge that you would be in favor of denying Kara’s daughter entry to school?
I support Kara if the reaction her daughter had was one where further vaccines were counter indicated. I don’t know the nature of the reaction and am not medically trained to decide if a waiver was indicated or not. I presume her doctor was able to provide a waiver if appropriate. If her doctor believed the reaction was temporary and treatable for future vaccines and refused a waiver, then yes I’d be fine with Kara having to find an alternative to public school.

I know how scary medical issues are for a parent. One of mine had a febrile seizure incident as a baby. Very scary indeed. But, after discussing with her doctor, I was able to treat her at home and avoid a visit to the hospital emergency room. Sounds like Kara was also able to avoid the emergency room and treat at home with a follow up appointment the next day. Depending on what the reaction was, it’s possible there were steps to take to avoid another frightening incident. For my baby that meant very frequent temperature checks, cool baths and a combination of drugs to control fever immediately when she had one.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:43 AM

2,767 posts, read 738,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Good for the State on this one.
Learned a lot from your posts in this thread and I totally agree with the above. Thanks!

Old 09-12-2019, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Because they were also encouraging boosters for adults.
Have a link to back up this claim?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:48 AM

23,883 posts, read 29,029,280 times
Quote:
Your understanding of peopleís motives just reeks of arrogance and misunderstanding. A lot of people with concerns about the HPV vaccine weighed the risk/rewards and decided that it wasnít worth it. Too bad you canít think outside of your own narrow mindset and try to really understand whee people are coming from.

If everyone stopped vaccinating today, I would not have a problem with that. Hiding in the herd is BS.
I think you can stop claiming that you are not anti-vaccine.

The HPV vaccine is one of the safest and most effective available.

Hiding in the herd is a reality if you do not vaccinate without a medical reason. Not BS.

Quote:
I think youíd be surprised to find out that youíre wrong.
He's right. Like the anti-vaccine church in Texas that set up vaccination clinics when it was involved in an outbreak.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...break/2693945/

"At the Texas church, the visitor infected not only the congregation and staff, but the church's on-site day care center, according to an announcement on Eagle Mountain's website. Health officials notified the church of the measles outbreak Aug. 14, and the church sponsored a vaccination clinic Aug. 18. Eagle Mountain also scheduled a vaccination clinic Sunday."

Quote:
And you would support Kara having to vaccinate her child who had a scary reaction just so you could feel safer?
It would help to know what the "scary reaction" was. Febrile seizures can be very scary but are not a reason to stop vaccinating your child. My granddaughter had one during a simple respiratory illness. Her frightened parents called 911. Now when she gets a vaccine her temp is monitored and she is treated to keep it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or