Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 11:55 AM

1,203 posts, read 655,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
California already had the strictest laws in the country in regards to vaccines for school aged children. Medical Exemptions were the only type of exemption allowed, something that kids could only get after an adverse reaction to a vaccine and something that they could only get from their doctor. The state decided that doctors were giving these medical exemptions too freely so changed the law to limit the number of medical exemptions a doctor can give out in a year to four. If a doctor gives out five they will be investigated by the State. This erodes the doctor patient relationship as well as makes doctors fear giving out valid exemptions due to the threat of being investigated by the State. No matter how you feel about vaccines, some people really should not take them due to valid medical reasons and this legislation stands to hurt this group of kids with this over reaching legislation.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-14426441.php
Get out of here with your anti-vax nonsense.

Old 09-10-2019, 11:56 AM

26,661 posts, read 13,645,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Fine by me.... or how about having single-payer and everyone gets at least basic health care?
I’d love to see you post the vaccines that you got growing up and the number of does vs the one’s that kids get today (type and # of doses) just to see how many more you’ll need to get in order to get caught up.

Good luck with your appointments and let us know how it goes.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:06 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,912,310 times
Quote:
I’d love to see you post the vaccines that you got growing up and the number of does vs the one’s that kids get today (type and # of doses) just to see how many more you’ll need to get in order to get caught up.

Good luck with your appointments and let us know how it goes.
I would wager that I got every vaccine available as a child and quite a few during middle age, especially for travel to Africa and other hazardous areas. Due for my 1st Shingrix shot next month for shingles prevention.

Funny thing.... I pay a lot for health insurance. Why should I adopt a conspiracy theorist, superior attitude with 99.9% of the medical community because of a bunch of internet nuttery?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:08 PM

77,920 posts, read 60,091,609 times
Quote:
Medical Exemptions increased from .02% to .07% after personal and religious exemptions were eliminated. Was this a crisis warranting such extreme legislation? You do the math, Mathguy. I’m also not “anti-vax” I’m pro-choice. Big difference.
Percent of what? The amount of BS your claim of not being anti-vax was?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:18 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,645,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I would wager that I got every vaccine available as a child and quite a few during middle age, especially for travel to Africa and other hazardous areas. Due for my 1st Shingrix shot next month for shingles prevention.

Funny thing.... I pay a lot for health insurance. Why should I adopt a conspiracy theorist, superior attitude with 99.9% of the medical community because of a bunch of internet nuttery?
I believe you. I’m proposing that you get yourself caught up with what the kids of today get. Have you compared the vaccine schedule of your childhood with the one of today? It’s quite different. They get A LOT more vaccines then you did as a kid.

Please do compare what you got to what kids are required to get today for a better understanding. If you’re in the age range for shingles vaccine then you will be very surprised at how few you have compared to today’s children. Getting yourself up to date with the current schedule will take time and a lot of visits and vaccinations at each visit. If you believe kids should get all of these or else, then you should be willing to get the exact same ones and get caught up to the children. Otherwise, you risk exposing people around you. This goes for any adult who believes in this legislation.

http://www.marinhealthcare.org/uploa...esentation.pdf

Old 09-10-2019, 12:52 PM

36,994 posts, read 41,024,650 times
Quote:
Yeah, family history will not be a factor that doctors are able to take into consideration for exemptions. So if one child dies after getting a vaccine, his or her sibling won’t be exempted. If a child has a seizure, they won’t be exempted form future vaccines. So on and so forth. It’s extreme. Al due to a less then 1% increase in people obtaining medical exemptions. Very over-reaching legislation.
Family history is not an indication for an exemption because it does not increase risk for a child.

The risk of any severe complication from a vaccine is about one in a million, so your death of a sibling scenario is going to be extremely rare.

A history of seizures is not an indication to forgo vaccination. Febrile seizures can happen after vaccination, but those are benign. If a child has a febrile seizure after a vaccine he could have febrile seizures from the disease the vaccine prevents. Epilepsy is not a contraindication to vaccination.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC320893/

"CONCLUSIONS: There are significantly elevated risks of febrile seizures on the day of receipt of DTP vaccine and 8 to 14 days after the receipt of MMR vaccine, but these risks do not appear to be associated with any long-term, adverse consequences."

Vaccine Safety ● Do Vaccines Cause Seizures?

I hardly think pediatric oncologists are going to have a hard time with this legislation. They will just have to document the reason for each child's exemption. I would think they would welcome it, because it protects their patients who have clear-cut medical reasons not to be vaccinated.

MS already reviews all medical exemption requests.

https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/14,0,71,688.html

The fact is that some CA physicians are selling medical exemptions to parents who do not want to vaccinate, primarily because of fear of autism. Since these families tend to cluster in the same neighborhoods, large numbers of fake medical exemptions can lower the vaccination rate below 95% in a particular school. The overall state average does not matter.

https://www.latimes.com/local/califo...701-story.html

"About 1,500 schools in California had kindergarten vaccination rates below 95%."

"At 117 schools, 10% or more of the kindergartners were not immunized because their doctors had excused them from vaccines. At 17 schools, 30% or more of the kindergarten class had medical exemptions on file."

Here are the medical contraindications for each childhood vaccine.

https://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p3072a.pdf

By the way, an increase in medical exemptions from 0.2% (not 0.02%) to 0.7% (not 0.07%) is a 0.7 divided by 0.2 = 3.5 = 350% increase. Do you really think the number of children with valid medical exemptions to vaccines has increased 350% in the last few years in CA? Why change the statistical figures to make the number of exemptions seem smaller than they are? The 0.2% and 0.7% figures are from corpgypsy's L.A. Times link above.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 09-10-2019 at 01:12 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 12:55 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,752,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Are they checking to make sure everyone with high blood pressure is force fed their pills?

Checking to make sure those with diabetes are stabbed with their insulin shots on a regular basis?

How do people NOT see this as an erosion to freedom?

What will YOU do when your doctor says there is only one way, and it's the governments. I WILL give you this drug and you WILL take it.

What then?
First of all, someone not taking their blood pressure meds or insulin doesn’t mean others are at risk of catching these diseases when in contact with them. Your analogy is false.

Secondly, no one is forcing parents to vaccinate even without a medical exemption. No law was passed to forcibly vaccinate people. Your hysteria is misplaced.

Vaccinate or don’t. The choice is still yours, even in California.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:00 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,912,310 times
Looks like 7-8 vs 14 for my age group to today. Actually probably less for me though due to having Hep A and B and the fact that some of the vaccines effect children more so than adults. IMO not a valid argument against vaccinating children.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:03 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,149,904 times
Quote:
California already had the strictest laws in the country in regards to vaccines for school aged children. Medical Exemptions were the only type of exemption allowed, something that kids could only get after an adverse reaction to a vaccine and something that they could only get from their doctor. The state decided that doctors were giving these medical exemptions too freely so changed the law to limit the number of medical exemptions a doctor can give out in a year to four. If a doctor gives out five they will be investigated by the State. This erodes the doctor patient relationship as well as makes doctors fear giving out valid exemptions due to the threat of being investigated by the State. No matter how you feel about vaccines, some people really should not take them due to valid medical reasons and this legislation stands to hurt this group of kids with this over reaching legislation.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics...s-14426441.php
If the allergy to a vaccine is documented, the doctor has nothing to worry about. This is one of the few things California does that I agree with.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:04 PM

6,288 posts, read 2,842,110 times
Quote:
I don’t know about plenty but yes, there are a few unscrupulous doctors. So are you saying that because one doctor was a molester you favor doing away with all California doctors’ ability to decide if their patients qualify for a medical exemptions or not and instead hand that power over the state due to the number of people trying to get one going up to .07% from .02%?
No. The doctors still make the decision to give exemptions. There is just over-site from the state. Lots of people get over-site from outside organizations. Hospitals have to get certified. That doesn't mean the state is taking control of patient treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.