Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 02:02 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,259,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You speak for all "elderly adults"?

I think not. Certainly not for me.
No, but I have MY rights, as do all Adults, including Pregnant Women. NO is the only Exemption any adult needs for any "recommended vaccination". I do know you would like to change that. Good Luck.

Again, you cannot achieve your Herd Immunity for anything with only 25% of the population (children).

If yourself at your age, had measles as a young child, I am sure you went out and got that vaccination any way. There can never be enough vaccinations for you.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:11 PM

36,994 posts, read 41,024,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Again, you cannot achieve your Herd Immunity for anything with only 25% of the population (children).

If yourself at your age, had measles as a young, I am sure you went out and got that vaccination. There can never be enough vaccinations for you.
There are adults, like you (though you refuse to admit it) and me, who contribute to herd immunity because we had diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox. That means that far more than 25% of the population is immune to those diseases.

Why would I want to get a vaccine for measles when I know I have had it? Why do you repeatedly make this comment when I know you know that the vaccine is not indicated for someone who has already had measles?

As it happens, I took the mumps vaccine before I went to college, because I had not had mumps.

High vaccination rates in children produce immunities that persist into adulthood. That is why adult boosters are not needed for most childhood vaccines, like MMR.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:14 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,376,423 times
Quote:
I agree with you there. Very slippery slope. Today public, private school children. Next find a way to legislate mandatory vaccination for home school children. After all, no unvaccinated home schooled child will ever leave the confines of their own home, or grow up to be an unvaccinated adult? Just wait, adults will be targeted if this continues.

I read there was a teenager from New Zealand with Measles who went to Disney and a number of other places. No problem after all California kids must now be vaccinated, and only they will go to Disney lol

BTW, Katarina, what legislation is there to force a pregnant, adult woman to be vaccinated?
Slippery Slope is a logical fallacy.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/slippery-slope
"The problem with this reasoning is that it avoids engaging with the issue at hand, and instead shifts attention to extreme hypotheticals. Because no proof is presented to show that such extreme hypotheticals will in fact occur, this fallacy has the form of an appeal to emotion fallacy by leveraging fear. In effect the argument at hand is unfairly tainted by unsubstantiated conjecture."

There is no legislation to force anyone to be vaccinated. It is a bit disingenuous to include the prenatal vaccines, as they are given to the mother. Some of her antibodies to pass through the placenta to the baby, but that is called "passive immunity" and it wears off quickly. The idea is to give the baby a head start in immunity until s/he can be vaccinated.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:18 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,645,598 times
The slippery slope has already happened in California. They eliminated philosophical and religious vaccinations (yet still had cases of measles during the last outbreak) and shortly there after, passed this bill which greatly limits medical exemptions. I’m sure after they continue to have outbreaks they will find another group to go after and blame. It will either be homeschoolers or adults.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:19 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,752,105 times
Quote:
No, but I have MY rights, as do all Adults, including Pregnant Women. NO is the only Exemption any adult needs for any "recommended vaccination". I do know you would like to change that. Good Luck.

If yourself at your age, had measles as a young child, I am sure you went out and got that vaccination any way. There can never be enough vaccinations for you.
Herd immunity includes adults who have had the disease and vaccinated adults so 25% is way off.

In the case of measles, the vaccination became available in 1963. Because of the highly infectious nature of measles, those born before 1957 likely had measles and are immune. There was a killed version of the vaccine used between 1963 and 1967. Anyone who’s unsure which vaccine they revived (live or killed) during those years is encouraged to get another MMR shot. My husband and I both fall in that donut hole, never had measles and unsure of which version we received. That’s why our GP suggested we get another shot. So we did.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:35 PM

10,194 posts, read 6,259,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There are adults, like you (though you refuse to admit it) and me, who contribute to herd immunity because we had diseases like measles, mumps, rubella, and chickenpox. That means that far more than 25% of the population is immune to those diseases.

Why would I want to get a vaccine for measles when I know I have had it? Why do you repeatedly make this comment when I know you know that the vaccine is not indicated for someone who has already had measles?

As it happens, I took the mumps vaccine before I went to college, because I had not had mumps.

High vaccination rates in children produce immunities that persist into adulthood. That is why adult boosters are not needed for most childhood vaccines, like MMR.
Yes, I know my generation is immune to these diseases because we had them as children. Unvaccinated NATURAL Immunity. Your probably would like we PROVE it by a titer, or get vaccinated anyway? Does not apply to Diphtheria, Tetanus, or Pertussis (bad waning vaccinated immunity), which ONCE is not good enough. Forget Flu, let alone Hep. A, Hep. B, Pneumonia, or HPV. So tell me those 5 vaccines in childhood is enough? There are current outbreaks of Hep. A in some states? Why when all children are required to get that?

When I worked in mental health facilities and public schools, I signed the OSHA Refusal Consent form for Hep. B vaccination. Want to take that away as well? NEWBORNS get that one and children can be refused school admission for being unvaccinated for that. You better pass some law for adult refusal for that as well.

As I said before, you people will not stop with public/private school vaccination. Next will be home school children, and then on to adults. Less than half the adult population gets yearly flu vaccinations. Better get started on legislation mandating THAT.

Old 09-10-2019, 02:42 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,912,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Today’s schedule is 74 doses.
https://vaxopedia.org/2018/07/15/do-...s-of-vaccines/

Fake math. Gee I've coined a new "fake".

Old 09-10-2019, 02:51 PM

26,661 posts, read 13,645,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
https://vaxopedia.org/2018/07/15/do-...s-of-vaccines/

Fake math. Gee I've coined a new "fake".
Sorry you had to use a propaganda site to explain this to you. Some of those vaccines that you and that site seem to list as one are actually combined vaccines. DTAP For example, is not just one vaccine, it’s three in one. MMR is also three in one. Counting them as what they are is not a scare tactic, it’s the reality. The point is, kids today get WAY more vaccines then most adults. Just compare your childhood schedule side by side with the childhood schedule of today. If you want to ensure that all of these small children are up to date then put your money where your mouth is and stop being a hypocrite and get on their schedule yourself.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:17 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,912,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry you had to use a propaganda site to explain this to you. Some of those vaccines that you and that site seem to list as one are actually combined vaccines. DTAP For example, is not just one vaccine, it’s three in one. MMR is also three in one. Counting them as what they are is not a scare tactic, it’s the reality. The point is, kids today get WAY more vaccines then most adults. Just compare your childhood schedule side by side with the childhood schedule of today. If you want to ensure that all of these small children are up to date then put your money where your mouth is and stop being a hypocrite and get on their schedule yourself.
I do see the point you are arguing, I just don't see the relevance. Have your mother be a crack head and have no pre-natal shots and then skip an annual flu shot and you can get that number down by twenty right out of the gate. If some are for contraindications or female ones like HPV maybe whittle it down a few more. 50 doses in 18 years is 2.77 average. Then factor in the combo vaccines that cover 4 doses in one and you see where I'm going.

Basically I and most of the free world believe in the CDC and what's left of the FDA since Trump to do the right thing for the patient and society as a whole. If my physician says I need a vaccine, I'll get it.

There are just as many crooked, greedy ******* doctors relative to the population as any other occupation I'm afraid. There needs to be more oversight over doctors across the board. Case in point the opioid crisis. You do realize that the duck or pony "support animal" on your flight had a letter of opinion from a health care professional? Many time written by someone doing a phone interview with a stranger.

Old 09-10-2019, 03:23 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,752,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I do see the point you are arguing, I just don't see the relevance. Have your mother be a crack head and have no pre-natal shots and then skip an annual flu shot and you can get that number down by twenty right out of the gate. If some are for contraindications or female ones like HPV maybe whittle it down a few more. 50 doses in 18 years is 2.77 average. Then factor in the combo vaccines that cover 4 doses in one and you see where I'm going.

Basically I and most of the free world believe in the CDC and what's left of the FDA since Trump to do the right thing for the patient and society as a whole. If my physician says I need a vaccine, I'll get it.

There are just as many crooked, greedy ******* doctors relative to the population as any other occupation I'm afraid. There needs to be more oversight over doctors across the board. Case in point the opioid crisis. You do realize that the duck or pony "support animal" on your flight had a letter of opinion from a health care professional? Many time written by someone doing a phone interview with a stranger.
In CA, one San Diego doctor is responsible for 1/3 of all medical waivers in the entire state. This law was needed for oversight of fraudulent waivers like those passed out like lollipops by 1 doctor. And she is by no means the only doctor whose waivers are questionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.