U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

21,637 posts, read 10,416,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
the OP merely quoted, without correct attribution, much of the article.
But quoted enough so we were clear it was in the UK. Where did your confusion come in about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM

9,591 posts, read 7,996,359 times
From the OP:
"In the UK, the home of the worldís most famous clock, Big Ben, many educators are phasing out analog clocks in favor of digital ones. Students taking the GCSE and A-level exams were complaining that they couldnít read the time. In order to make everything ďas easy and straightforward as possible,Ē they are making the switch to digital time reading."

I wonder, what will these poor children do when exposed to military 24 hour time? How will they ever be able to understand when they are told to be somewhere at "2130 hours"??

Old Yesterday, 12:30 PM

9,677 posts, read 5,904,870 times
I have a child in middle school who shared with me that many of her classmates couldnít read the clock and were constantly asking her what time it was so I do believe there is truth to this. That said, it shouldnít take long at all to teach an older kid how to read an analog clock. Itís really very simple especially since they already have a grasp of time, even if they rely on digital clocks so I donít think all hope is lost.

Old Yesterday, 12:40 PM

12,331 posts, read 6,857,725 times
It's over for us clock readers, we are archaic, a relic of another time.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

2,936 posts, read 1,256,707 times
It doesn't surprise me. They don't know how to write either.

This is what you get with liberal educators.

Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM

21,637 posts, read 10,416,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I have a child in middle school who shared with me that many of her classmates couldnít read the clock and were constantly asking her what time it was so I do believe there is truth to this. That said, it shouldnít take long at all to teach an older kid how to read an analog clock. Itís really very simple especially since they already have a grasp of time, even if they rely on digital clocks so I donít think all hope is lost.
Sure, we can send them to summer school before they start college where they can learn how to read an analog clock and write in cursive.

Old Yesterday, 01:08 PM

5,402 posts, read 1,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
It's over for us clock readers, we are archaic, a relic of another time.
You have to permanently clock out of work then, right?

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

9,677 posts, read 5,904,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Sure, we can send them to summer school before they start college where they can learn how to read an analog clock and write in cursive.

If it took months to learn that would be sad. I bet a kid who already understands time could learn in about 15 minutes. Total.

Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM

34,178 posts, read 42,740,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Another urban myth. What kind of moron couldn't read an analog clock?
The ones I taught in suburban Maryland

Old Yesterday, 01:13 PM

44 posts, read 5,228 times
Maybe change the moto "no child left behind" to "no child can tell time"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or