Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 06:23 AM

5,721 posts, read 3,234,197 times

Advertisements

Let's see,
1. stop teaching kids to read analog clock because everything is going digital.
2. stop teaching cursive because everyone uses a keyboard.

what else should we add because its "out dated" and computers can solve that problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
People have been using analog clocks for almost as long as they have been telling time. However, with the abundance of modern technology, the younger generations are finding it difficult to tell the time using the hands of the clock.

In the UK, the home of the world’s most famous clock, Big Ben, many educators are phasing out analog clocks in favor of digital ones. Students taking the GCSE and A-level exams were complaining that they couldn’t read the time. In order to make everything “as easy and straightforward as possible,” they are making the switch to digital time reading.

Stephanie Keenan works at Ruislip High School in northwest London and is the Head of English. Her school has installed digital clocks in the exam hall.

Teachers have started “removing analog clocks from examination halls because teenagers are unable to tell the time [1].” While many classrooms will still have analog clocks, during scholastic aptitude examinations digital clocks are favored. Students are under strict time constraints during these tests, and teachers believe that using digital clocks in favor of analog clocks help students.

https://evolve.shared.com/schools-ar...box=1567782909

Not sure how I feel about this there are going to be times in their life where they under a deadline, Coddling them now isn’t going to help them down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 07:03 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,760,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Here's a novel idea.

Since they're in a school, maybe TEACH THEM HOW TO READ THE CLOCKS!
Good grief.
Yep. Put a clock in every classroom and I guarantee kids will learn how to read them. I can still remember the tick tick tick of the second hand as it inched toward dismissal time.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:40 AM

24,365 posts, read 22,967,222 times
I have an analog wrist watch and wouldn't have anything else. It's just more classic and stylish, IMO.

Old 09-12-2019, 07:43 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,908,261 times
If an adult was never taught to read a clock, and needs to read an analog clock, y'all don't think they can't learn how.

Old 09-12-2019, 09:48 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,566,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Another urban myth. What kind of moron couldn't read an analog clock?

Ummm, well...there are plenty of "morons" out there. Most schools anymore don't teach kids how to read an analog clock. It was obligatory when I was in grade school. We learned to tell time in the first grade and most of our parents had already taught us before that.

I've run into a lot of adults these days who are in their 30's and can't read an analog clock. It's an ability I have taken for granted for a long time but it seems a lot of humans both young and older need to have the time spelled out for them on a digital piece.

My ex wifes two older children never did learn to use an analog clock despite my efforts to teach them. They just told me they didn't need to know how. Using analog hand position to indicate distance is another ability gone by the wayside. If you tell a younger person "Hey, on your 3 o clock man" to warn them of danger all you get is a blank stare.

Old 09-12-2019, 12:42 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,306,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Reading maps is another skill being lost. Replaced by smart phones and GPS.
Oh, totally. The problem is by relying on GPS, people don't develop a sense of direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies