U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 11:04 AM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
15,237 posts, read 9,345,640 times
Reputation: 10129

Advertisements

People have been using analog clocks for almost as long as they have been telling time. However, with the abundance of modern technology, the younger generations are finding it difficult to tell the time using the hands of the clock.

In the UK, the home of the world’s most famous clock, Big Ben, many educators are phasing out analog clocks in favor of digital ones. Students taking the GCSE and A-level exams were complaining that they couldn’t read the time. In order to make everything “as easy and straightforward as possible,” they are making the switch to digital time reading.

Stephanie Keenan works at Ruislip High School in northwest London and is the Head of English. Her school has installed digital clocks in the exam hall.

Teachers have started “removing analog clocks from examination halls because teenagers are unable to tell the time [1].” While many classrooms will still have analog clocks, during scholastic aptitude examinations digital clocks are favored. Students are under strict time constraints during these tests, and teachers believe that using digital clocks in favor of analog clocks help students.


https://evolve.shared.com/schools-ar...box=1567782909

Not sure how I feel about this there are going to be times in their life where they under a deadline, Coddling them now isn’t going to help them down the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
 
30,970 posts, read 15,909,882 times
Reputation: 20592
Time to throw more money at the problem. Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM
 
10,272 posts, read 4,784,126 times
Reputation: 5669
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
People have been using analog clocks for almost as long as they have been telling time. However, with the abundance of modern technology, the younger generations are finding it difficult to tell the time using the hands of the clock.

In the UK, the home of the world’s most famous clock, Big Ben, many educators are phasing out analog clocks in favor of digital ones. Students taking the GCSE and A-level exams were complaining that they couldn’t read the time. In order to make everything “as easy and straightforward as possible,” they are making the switch to digital time reading.

Stephanie Keenan works at Ruislip High School in northwest London and is the Head of English. Her school has installed digital clocks in the exam hall.

Teachers have started “removing analog clocks from examination halls because teenagers are unable to tell the time [1].” While many classrooms will still have analog clocks, during scholastic aptitude examinations digital clocks are favored. Students are under strict time constraints during these tests, and teachers believe that using digital clocks in favor of analog clocks help students.


https://evolve.shared.com/schools-ar...box=1567782909

Not sure how I feel about this there are going to be times in their life where they under a deadline, Coddling them now isn’t going to help them down the road.
I worked with some recent grads in the 80s who could not tell time. Nothing new about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Eugene, Oregon
9,243 posts, read 3,122,202 times
Reputation: 14002
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
People have been using analog clocks for almost as long as they have been telling time. However, with the abundance of modern technology, the younger generations are finding it difficult to tell the time using the hands of the clock.

In the UK, the home of the world’s most famous clock, Big Ben, many educators are phasing out analog clocks in favor of digital ones. Students taking the GCSE and A-level exams were complaining that they couldn’t read the time. In order to make everything “as easy and straightforward as possible,” they are making the switch to digital time reading.

Stephanie Keenan works at Ruislip High School in northwest London and is the Head of English. Her school has installed digital clocks in the exam hall.

Teachers have started “removing analog clocks from examination halls because teenagers are unable to tell the time [1].” While many classrooms will still have analog clocks, during scholastic aptitude examinations digital clocks are favored. Students are under strict time constraints during these tests, and teachers believe that using digital clocks in favor of analog clocks help students.


https://evolve.shared.com/schools-ar...box=1567782909

Not sure how I feel about this there are going to be times in their life where they under a deadline, Coddling them now isn’t going to help them down the road.

Another urban myth. What kind of moron couldn't read an analog clock?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
 
52,712 posts, read 42,333,542 times
Reputation: 33003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I worked with some recent grads in the 80s who could not tell time. Nothing new about it.
Holy cr*p! If you don't mind me asking what sort of work were they doing? There are plenty of people smart in their own way (musically, communications etc.) but I'm guessing they were not engineers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Rutherfordton,NC
15,237 posts, read 9,345,640 times
Reputation: 10129
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Time to throw more money at the problem. Lol

Money isn’t the problem lazy parents aren’t doing their part in helping the schools out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I worked with some recent grads in the 80s who could not tell time. Nothing new about it.
I work with several people now who can’t read analog no, it’s not new and I guess seeing that children and people in general are being dumped down. Then who really cares? Besides at some point every things going to digital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:13 AM
 
34,907 posts, read 18,915,739 times
Reputation: 7751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Another urban myth. What kind of moron couldn't read an analog clock?


The same idiots that you have to tell to not re-use condoms.....or someone else's tooth brush....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Seattle
1,536 posts, read 324,534 times
Reputation: 1495
I hear palanquins are going out of fashion as well because nobody will use them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
 
7,536 posts, read 1,730,004 times
Reputation: 4156
To the kids of today's defense, aren't a lot of analog clocks out there now a days. Not like there used to be before we had phones, tablets, watches, computers, microwaves, ovens, TVs, and refrigerators with digital clocks LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Pacific Northwest
1,683 posts, read 610,195 times
Reputation: 2125
Seems strange that people don't know how to tell time unless its digital. That's something that is taught in grade school you wouldn't just one day stop being able to understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top