U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:57 PM

56,103 posts, read 75,187,345 times

Advertisements

They will not suspend fior any reason academic or otherwise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 01:04 PM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 21 days ago)

1,037 posts, read 192,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
The complete lack of competency in early education is a big reason why the Red states are so behind the Blue states and a major reason why blue areas are so much better economically, socially, and culturally.

I detest the way conservatives are failing their own children.
The public school system as a whole is doing very poorly so I'm not sure you comment makes any sense. Where I live, the rural areas are where you go to get your kids a good public school education. NO ONE wants to send their kids to Chicago Public Schools - the bluest area in the state.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 PM

16,128 posts, read 13,870,629 times
While we look at suspensions through the perspective the student was say fighting and causing massive havoc, reality in my opinion and experience is that most of these suspensions were anything but, and pretty lame things that in any other setting, no one would have cared nor noticed because the actions are normal. Schools tend to play the "disruption" card every chance they get.

Back when I was in school, I knew of one person ever getting suspended, and it was for bringing a weapon (a pistol) to school. In my later adult life, I know know of several instances where kids were suspended for things like dress codes, medicine, being late too many times, etc. It is like the default action now is to suspend from school for every minor infraction.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:12 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,572,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
What the heck do you mean, fake news? Your link completely confirmed the OP. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:17 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,572,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
Maybe I am reading it wrong, but it seems to be exactly what the text says. I guess I'll have to read it a few more times.

I live in CA. I wonder why I still do, but I have friends, family, and a business. None are easily relocated. On-line charter schools could see an increase as well as other private schools.

cd :O)
Somebody gets it . . . .

Old 09-10-2019, 01:21 PM

7,783 posts, read 4,450,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
What the heck do you mean, fake news? Your link completely confirmed the OP. Thank you.
Violent students are not disruptive? People are citing this bill along with the video of the teacher getting pummeled. They can absolutely still suspend for that.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:23 PM

52,718 posts, read 42,342,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So what are schools supposed to do with chronically disruptive students? Put them in a separate classroom to sit there all day an be watched? What if they just leave?
If they just leave and stop coming they no longer drag down the schools standardized test scores.

In fact a number of schools have been busted for boosting their numbers by essentially encouraging some of their worst kids to drop out.

Old 09-10-2019, 01:28 PM

52,718 posts, read 42,342,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Going to go ahead and say that the text of the bill itself trumps any sensational headlines...
You mean this text?

Quote:
(1) Disrupted school activities or otherwise willfully defied the valid authority of supervisors, teachers, administrators, school officials, or other school personnel engaged in the performance of their duties.
(2) Except as provided in Section 48910, a pupil enrolled in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 3, inclusive, shall not be suspended for any of the acts enumerated in paragraph (1),
Yeah, so kid won't follow instruction, won't listen to the teacher (basically being disruptive) can't be suspended.

You posted it yourself so what part are you struggling with?

Old 09-10-2019, 01:30 PM

7,783 posts, read 4,450,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You mean this text?

Yeah, so kid won't follow instruction, won't listen to the teacher (basically being disruptive) can't be suspended.

You posted it yourself so what part are you struggling with?
And what about all the other disruptive behavior they still can be suspended for in the bill?

Old 09-10-2019, 01:31 PM

603 posts, read 120,056 times
Just another step in transitioning public schools into detention centers for uncontrollable offspring of the poor, operated by union thugs....all on the tax payers dime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or