U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 09:00 AM

32,659 posts, read 60,486,192 times

Advertisements

Kids can't learn if they're not in school. Suspending them teaches them nothing, especially in younger grades (and this policy does apply only to K-8).

Also? The language prevents suspensions for "willful defiance", not for "pummeling" teachers. Good grief. Some of you need to learn to read.

California law has prevented suspensions for K-3; that policy must be working, or it wouldn't have been extended to grades 4-8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-M-O View Post
I met folks who care more about being anti-abortion and Jesus than fixing their serious infrastructure issues and improving their schools .
You'd think someone who cares about Jesus would care about educating children. Those folks must not be very familiar with their Bible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:25 PM

1,627 posts, read 855,674 times
In California's schools I was sent home for sneezing and blowing my nose in class. I was so self-conscious growing up in that environment until I left that state at 18, and found people who let me know there isn't a damn thing wrong with me.

That was back in the 80s/90s, but if California's school system continued the practice of removing students from the learning environment, for reasons unrelated to behavior/disciplinary problems, then it's a necessary action.

Old Today, 12:54 PM

7,450 posts, read 1,644,937 times
So this might lead to even MORE of a divide between the rich and the poor in California -- and elsewhere if this idea spreads to the rest of the nation. Is that really what the left wants?

My sister and her husband are middle class, but they have sent their only child to an "accelerated" private school ever since she was in kindergarten. (My mom watched her before then.) Even though it costs them a LOT of money, they decided to do that for my niece, and I applaud their decision. But, again, this policy just seems to be furthering the rich and poor divide because not every middle class family can afford private school, and I don't think that most private schools will accept the troublemakers. (I could be wrong about that.)

Old Today, 04:23 PM

5,580 posts, read 3,378,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Punishing me for not having my butt in the seat for some arbitrary number of days instead of recognizing merit is ludicrous.
What happens when you have a job and you don't show up? You'd get fired.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

14,328 posts, read 6,575,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So what are schools supposed to do with chronically disruptive students? Put them in a separate classroom to sit there all day an be watched? What if they just leave?
So, you believe suspending a student, having them stay home & do what exactly? Will they be there alone because the parents have to work? And then what? Keep your 5th grader home alone? Excellent idea!! How about giving detention? How about having them do extra school work while in detention? Which idea sounds best to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or