Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 12:21 PM

17,605 posts, read 6,894,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
It is will soon be illegal in California for both public and charter schools to suspend disruptive students from kindergarten through eighth grade.

Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday signed into law Senate Bill 419, which permanently prohibits willful defiance suspensions in grades four and five. It also bans such suspensions in grades six through eight for five years. The law goes into effect July 1, 2020.

A previous law had already banned schools from suspending defiant kids through third grade.
Link: https://hotair.com/archives/jazz-sha...nts-suspended/

More brilliance from the morons on the left coast. Why any sane person lives in CA is something I will never understand. It is a dump, and I say that living in Baltimore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 12:24 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post

More brilliance from the morons on the left coast. Why any sane person lives in CA is something I will never understand. It is a dump, and I say that living in Baltimore.
yeah, even baltimore hasn't done something this idiotic. yet.
great news for private schools, they'll need to build more classrooms.

0bama started the ball rolling on this one 7 years ago. thanks, bammers.
Obama's latest blisteringly stupid executive order

Old 09-10-2019, 12:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
I can’t imagine being a teacher in California with this type of legislation. How is one able to teach if they have disruptive students in the classroom who know that they can’t be held accountable? How are the non-disruptive students supposed to learn int his type of classroom? Why are state politicians allowed to be making these kinds of decisions that should be happening on the local level?

Old 09-10-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I can’t imagine being a teacher in California with this type of legislation. How is one able to teach if they have disruptive students in the classroom who know that they can’t be held accountable? How are the non-disruptive students supposed to learn int his type of classroom? Why are state politicians allowed to be making these kinds of decisions that should be happening on the local level?
It's the teachers who vote in these leftwing morons, so it's fitting that the teachers should have to suffer the consequences of their decisions in the voting booth. I have no sympathy for them.

I do have sympathy for the children who are not disruptive and their parents, who are forced to keep their kids in classes with problematic children who shouldn't be in class. Maybe they'll get smart and leave the state so the left can have schools full of illegal aliens and disruptive future criminals.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:30 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:

Good. There is nothing dumber than suspending a student who doesn't want to be in school. That's basically punishing the student by giving that student exactly what he/she wants.

When I was that age, we'd purposely get suspended just so we get to stay home and play video games or hang out. It's the stupidest rule education has ever come up with.

Now those kids will have to participate in school activities to address their bad behavior instead of a get-out-jail card.

Quote:

California to extend ban on pushing students out of school for disruptive behavior

Under state law, teachers would still be allowed to suspend students from their classrooms for up to two days as long as they remained in school by participating in what is known as an “in-school” suspension program. Students would remain under school supervision and likely participate in activities that address the behavior that led to their being removed from the classroom.

A principal concern of Skinner’s, and other child advocates who backed her bill, was the fact that disruption and willful defiance — vague categories that are subject to a range of interpretations — have had a disproportionate impact on African American students, males especially. When they are pushed out of school, they are more likely to come into contact with law enforcement, at times with disastrous consequences.

Based on what happened in Los Angeles, newly elected board member Jackie Goldberg suggested the law would have a similar impact across the state. “SB 419 will result in less instructional days lost due to suspensions, improved academic outcomes and school climate, and it will lead to fewer students to drop out of school and enter the juvenile justice system,” she said.

Last edited by beb0p; 09-10-2019 at 12:40 PM..

Old 09-10-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Good. There is nothing dumber than suspending a student who doesn't want to be in school. That's basically punishing the students by giving them exactly what they want.

Always great to hear from people who actually live in California. It illustrates my opinion so much better than I could ever articulate.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 PM

29,440 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Is this really surprising for California ? It's like the politicians there , sit around a table and try to come up with the dumbest idea, then implement it just for laughs.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:32 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
It's the teachers who vote in these leftwing morons, so it's fitting that the teachers should have to suffer the consequences of their decisions in the voting booth. I have no sympathy for them.

I do have sympathy for the children who are not disruptive and their parents, who are forced to keep their kids in classes with problematic children who shouldn't be in class. Maybe they'll get smart and leave the state so the left can have schools full of illegal aliens and disruptive future criminals.

True. Most teachers I know are liberal and that’s where this legislation is coming from so I guess you’re right. What a mess. Maybe homeschooling will explode in California. That or parents will leave in droves. Not just due to this legislation but due to the whole of it.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:33 PM

17,299 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Nonsense fake news from "Hot Air".
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201920200SB419

Quote:
Originally Posted by all the things students can be suspended/expelled for with this bill
A pupil shall not be suspended from school or recommended for expulsion, [b]unless the superintendent of the school district or the principal of the school in which the pupil is enrolled determines that the pupil has committed an act as defined pursuant to any of subdivisions (a) to (r), inclusive:
(a) (1) Caused, attempted to cause, or threatened to cause physical injury to another person.
(2) Willfully used force or violence upon the person of another, except in self-defense.
(b) Possessed, sold, or otherwise furnished a firearm, knife, explosive, or other dangerous object, unless, in the case of possession of an object of this type, the pupil had obtained written permission to possess the item from a certificated school employee, which is concurred in by the principal or the designee of the principal.
(c) Unlawfully possessed, used, sold, or otherwise furnished, or been under the influence of, a controlled substance listed in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 11053) of Division 10 of the Health and Safety Code, an alcoholic beverage, or an intoxicant of any kind.
(d) Unlawfully offered, arranged, or negotiated to sell a controlled substance listed in Chapter 2 (commencing with Section 11053) of Division 10 of the Health and Safety Code, an alcoholic beverage, or an intoxicant of any kind, and either sold, delivered, or otherwise furnished to a person another liquid, substance, or material and represented the liquid, substance, or material as a controlled substance, alcoholic beverage, or intoxicant.
(e) Committed or attempted to commit robbery or extortion.
(f) Caused or attempted to cause damage to school property or private property.
(g) Stole or attempted to steal school property or private property.
(h) Possessed or used tobacco, or products containing tobacco or nicotine products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, miniature cigars, clove cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, snuff, chew packets, and betel. However, this section does not prohibit the use or possession by a pupil of the pupil’s own prescription products.
(i) Committed an obscene act or engaged in habitual profanity or vulgarity.
(j) Unlawfully possessed or unlawfully offered, arranged, or negotiated to sell drug paraphernalia, as defined in Section 11014.5 of the Health and Safety Code.
(k) (1) Disrupted school activities or otherwise willfully defied the valid authority of supervisors, teachers, administrators, school officials, or other school personnel engaged in the performance of their duties.
(2) Except as provided in Section 48910, a pupil enrolled in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 3, inclusive, shall not be suspended for any of the acts enumerated in paragraph (1), and those acts shall not constitute grounds for a pupil enrolled in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, to be recommended for expulsion. This paragraph is inoperative on July 1, 2020.
(3) Except as provided in Section 48910, commencing July 1, 2020, a pupil enrolled in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 5, inclusive, shall not be suspended for any of the acts specified in paragraph (1), and those acts shall not constitute grounds for a pupil enrolled in kindergarten or any of grades 1 to 12, inclusive, to be recommended for expulsion.
(4) Except as provided in Section 48910, commencing July 1, 2020, a pupil enrolled in any of grades 6 to 8, inclusive, shall not be suspended for any of the acts specified in paragraph (1). This paragraph is inoperative on July 1, 2025.
(l) Knowingly received stolen school property or private property.
(m) Possessed an imitation firearm. As used in this section, “imitation firearm” means a replica of a firearm that is so substantially similar in physical properties to an existing firearm as to lead a reasonable person to conclude that the replica is a firearm.
(n) Committed or attempted to commit a sexual assault as defined in Section 261, 266c, 286, 287, 288, or 289 of, or former Section 288a of, the Penal Code or committed a sexual battery as defined in Section 243.4 of the Penal Code.
(o) Harassed, threatened, or intimidated a pupil who is a complaining witness or a witness in a school disciplinary proceeding for purposes of either preventing that pupil from being a witness or retaliating against that pupil for being a witness, or both.
(p) Unlawfully offered, arranged to sell, negotiated to sell, or sold the prescription drug Soma.
(q) Engaged in, or attempted to engage in, hazing. For purposes of this subdivision, “hazing” means a method of initiation or preinitiation into a pupil organization or body, whether or not the organization or body is officially recognized by an educational institution, that is likely to cause serious bodily injury or personal degradation or disgrace resulting in physical or mental harm to a former, current, or prospective pupil. For purposes of this subdivision, “hazing” does not include athletic events or school-sanctioned events.
(r) Engaged in an act of bullying. For purposes of this subdivision, the following terms have the following meanings:
(1) “Bullying” means any severe or pervasive physical or verbal act or conduct, including communications made in writing or by means of an electronic act, and including one or more acts committed by a pupil or group of pupils as defined in Section 48900.2, 48900.3, or 48900.4, directed toward one or more pupils that has or can be reasonably predicted to have the effect of one or more of the following:
(A) Placing a reasonable pupil or pupils in fear of harm to that pupil’s or those pupils’ person or property.
(B) Causing a reasonable pupil to experience a substantially detrimental effect on the pupil’s physical or mental health.
(C) Causing a reasonable pupil to experience substantial interference with the pupil’s academic performance.
(D) Causing a reasonable pupil to experience substantial interference with the pupil’s ability to participate in or benefit from the services, activities, or privileges provided by a school.
(2) (A) “Electronic act” means the creation or transmission originated on or off the schoolsite, by means of an electronic device, including, but not limited to, a telephone, wireless telephone, or other wireless communication device, computer, or pager, of a communication, including, but not limited to, any of the following:
(i) A message, text, sound, video, or image.
(ii) A post on a social network internet website, including, but not limited to:
(I) Posting to or creating a burn page. “Burn page” means an internet website created for the purpose of having one or more of the effects listed in paragraph (1).
(II) Creating a credible impersonation of another actual pupil for the purpose of having one or more of the effects listed in paragraph (1). “Credible impersonation” means to knowingly and without consent impersonate a pupil for the purpose of bullying the pupil and such that another pupil would reasonably believe, or has reasonably believed, that the pupil was or is the pupil who was impersonated.
(III) Creating a false profile for the purpose of having one or more of the effects listed in paragraph (1). “False profile” means a profile of a fictitious pupil or a profile using the likeness or attributes of an actual pupil other than the pupil who created the false profile.
(iii) (I) An act of cyber sexual bullying.

Old 09-10-2019, 12:36 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
So what are schools supposed to do with chronically disruptive students? Put them in a separate classroom to sit there all day an be watched? What if they just leave?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies