U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

1,431 posts, read 1,329,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
He didn’t say “have”. He said “experience”. Details matter.
He called them a liberal company. Details matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:34 PM

9,548 posts, read 2,915,134 times
I saw this coming.

I went to NYC last fall, and all the Uber cars had to be black, and they had special license plates. You could not just drive your own regular car and be somebody's taxi. It was already a de-facto taxi service. Might as well just formalize the arrangement and get it over with.

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

33,183 posts, read 16,966,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The VC's model semed to be an overinflated value with a million day traders thinking they can quit their full-time gig once they cash out and bro down. In that scenario, the VC still gets theirs.
I guess we'll see. The stock dropped 25% since the IPO and they just laid off 400+ employees.

And you'd be surprised how many people think that Uber runs a profitable operation.

Last edited by Dane_in_LA; Yesterday at 08:09 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:02 PM

6,776 posts, read 2,505,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
Except that the company can easily manipulate the number of rides that a particular driver gets, to make sure that he or she always falls below whatever threshold there is for receiving benefits.
That is terrible!!! It's just like cutting hours so they don't have to provide health insurance. Greed.

Old Yesterday, 08:09 PM

218 posts, read 22,077 times
They are currently (in our area) operating as independent contractors, not employees. I have dealt with thsi slippery slope for years and am very familiar with it's ins and outs.

They choose their own hours
They do not wear uniforms
They do not drive company cars
They are 1099'ed and pay their own taxes

The state wants to F up a good thing. These companies are pulling out of CA and it only hurts all of us......
Again...stupid liberals. They could F up a wet dream....

Old Yesterday, 08:14 PM

7,802 posts, read 2,775,886 times
Well the IRS tax code says if you make most all of your money from one source then you are an employee. The legal argument will be if Uber is the source or the uber customer.

Old Yesterday, 08:16 PM

30,970 posts, read 15,909,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I guess we'll see. The stock dropped 25% since the IPO and they just laid off 400+ employees.

And you'd be surprised how many people think that Uber runs a profitable operation.
Wow, 25% drop. Ouch.

I'm trying to remember that phrase about projecting success.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

27,249 posts, read 11,450,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
GOOD!!!

They are liberal companies pretending to be progressives while actually being full-blown vulture capitalists. That CEO of UBER owes every bit of his $6B to his lack of conscience.

Their profit model will be completely screwed up. Why do you think they were trying to get drivers out of said model before anyone could figure it out? Those drivers rarely make minimum wage. HUH, the progressive lie at work again.

I hope they tank as investors run for the doors.
The drivers barely make minimum wage? That's not true. So according to you people are to stupid to realize that their very own choices aren't good enough and you know what's best for them? Oh please government save me!!! pffft That's not who to look to for help.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM

30,970 posts, read 15,909,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
He called them a liberal company. Details matter.
Just because it is a liberal company doesn't mean it experiences liberal policies.

Details matter.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM

27,249 posts, read 11,450,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Agreed. They loose a ton of money, over 5 billion in a recent quarter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or