U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 PM

32,380 posts, read 37,118,578 times

Advertisements

Cut your losses and get out of CA.

Make a statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2019, 08:35 PM

33,185 posts, read 16,966,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Wow, 25% drop. Ouch.

I'm trying to remember that phrase about projecting success.
Being in a bit more low-brow state of mind, I'm thinking of the underpants gnomes in South Park - their business plan was as follows:
  1. Collect underpants.
  2. ?
  3. Profit.

Uber is at stage 2 right now. From what I read, they want to branch out to freight traffic now, matching cargo haulers with possible shipments. And you can color me skeptical on that one. Moving partygoers is a simple business and everybody knew cab companies were abusing their monopoly.

Hauling freight is way more complex, and as a business, it's already optimized to the nth degree. But we'll see.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:36 PM

7,802 posts, read 2,775,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Cut your losses and get out of CA.

Make a statement.
The statement is that you want to make less revenue. Shareholders will love that want.

Old 09-10-2019, 08:50 PM

30,975 posts, read 15,909,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Being in a bit more low-brow state of mind, I'm thinking of the underpants gnomes in South Park - their business plan was as follows:
  1. Collect underpants.
  2. ?
  3. Profit.

Uber is at stage 2 right now. From what I read, they want to branch out to freight traffic now, matching cargo haulers with possible shipments. And you can color me skeptical on that one. Moving partygoers is a simple business and everybody knew cab companies were abusing their monopoly.

Hauling freight is way more complex, and as a business, it's already optimized to the nth degree. But we'll see.
Cartman had the best plan.

1. Startup.
2. Cash in.
3. Sell out.
4. Bro down.

I have it on the wall in my office.

Old 09-10-2019, 09:03 PM

13,325 posts, read 9,026,512 times
If I was driving for Uber I wouldn't want to be employees. I want to be consider one of these share holders. The problem these drivers are complaining about is not being paid enough and not having benefits. These problems are caused by Uber not charging enough and healthcare is simply too expensive in America.

Say you take a $12 ride. The Uber Booking fee is $2.20 and they get like 20% cut on the final mileage charges. So the driver ends up with only $7 in fare and this takes 20-30min of driving. So after an hour the driver only makes $13-15/hr.

Now, how could Uber pay the drivers more? If they let go of the fees then drivers could be making $25-$30/hr. That's still not great consider how much it cost for gas, insurance, and cost of their vehicles. This is not an easy job after the you look at the costs. That's why old taxis charge so much back then and Uber/Lyft simply disrupted them and now it's not gonna be easy to raise the prices.

Once they jack up the rates in order to pay the drivers, people will be screaming that Uber is hiking rates and fares will drop big time.

By being an employee they can dictate your work performance and requirements. Not something I want so this will be a bad move. They should be fighting for more rights and lower fees not about employee rights.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 AM

23,151 posts, read 17,121,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Originalist View Post
GOOD!!!

They are liberal companies pretending to be progressives while actually being full-blown vulture capitalists. That CEO of UBER owes every bit of his $6B to his lack of conscience.

Their profit model will be completely screwed up. Why do you think they were trying to get drivers out of said model before anyone could figure it out? Those drivers rarely make minimum wage. HUH, the progressive lie at work again.

I hope they tank as investors run for the doors.
I have my own stuff that I do, but I picked up Uber Eats for extra money because I like driving, and it's easy money.

I saw this a few weeks back about joining the class action lawsuit, and I wrote them a scathing letter about it. Apparently, in CA, it says something to the effect that you can't be classified as an Independent Contractor if you conduct business at the same time as regular business - or something like that. I don't have it verbatim right this second. This lawsuit was for CA drivers only, if we are talking about the same one. It did NOT apply to drivers in other states.

Most of them don't even make minimum wage? Then they are doing something seriously wrong. The other day, I made $25 in one hour. I was actually doing something else, had 2 hours to kill, was in an area that I knew was usually busy, opened the app, put myself online, and got 4 orders in rapid succession. At the end, I made $26.17. It took me an hour to pick up the orders and drive them to the people's homes. Would have been faster if the people here knew how to fricken drive and could read speed limit signs that say "45" and not drive fricken 30 so that we hit every last flippin' red light possible. I could have easily shaved off 15 minutes of that hour. Regardless, $25 in an hour is well over minimum wage.

My biggest issue with them trying to make the drivers employees is that they definitely won't get as much money. What these cry babies don't understand is that at the end of the year, the IRS gives you a tax break on mileage.

I've done courier work before using my own vehicle. I kept meticulous records. I know what counts as "my own time" and what counts as "mileage for the task". At the end of that year, at tax time, (I did not do quarterly), I wrote off my mileage and paid absolutely $0 in tax. Nothing. I didn't pay during the year because I was an IC, and the IRS gave me the mileage tax break which resulted in me paying absolutely nothing.

As with the car I had then, the car I have now gets good gas mileage - even if it's older than dirt. It still gets good mileage. Wear and tear? I already had wear and tear - it's a 2004, all that wear and tear was fixed before I ever even started. What I plan to do from there is either lease or get another car - and would have the money to do that by remaining an IC - but then the state and feds can't take your money from you if you're an IC and you get to write off your mileage, now can they?

And that's what this is all about, but the MORONS who drive for these companies are crying and whining like little B ches because they don't know how to do taxes, and think that they are getting screwed somehow.

When you are an IC, you have to be motivated to work. You aren't going to make a lot of money if you sit in your car and refuse to take orders or rides. And a lot of people are like that. They will only take an order or a ride if the amount is what they think they "deserve" without realizing that while they're sitting there waiting for that order/ride to come in, I'm out there doing all the ones they think are "too small", and racking up the money.

In the end, these cry baby twits are going to screw themselves over. Hopefully by that time, I'll have saved up enough to get the hell out of this twisted state.

Old Yesterday, 01:03 AM

23,151 posts, read 17,121,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
That is really good!! How could the drivers not be thought of as employees? Now, they will be entitled to things they deserve like health insurance, 401K matching, maternity leave, etc. like a regular employee working for a company. I remember when one or both of the companies went public and they were celebrating and so happy they were all going to get rich, but the drivers were left on the outside and would get nothing from it. The drivers are the ones that have to do the hard job of ferrying passengers safely and sometimes dealing with dangerous traffic situations. They don't get paid a lot to compensate them for the risks they sometimes encounter.
No, it's not. We are not "employees" because we don't have to answer to anyone. I don't have to make a schedule, I can work as long as I want, whenever I want. I don't want the "entitlements" because I can make MORE money as an IC than I can as an employee. As an employee, I have to take breaks, I can only work so much "overtime", I have to have a schedule and do not get to work on days off.

As an IC, again, I can work whenever I want, any day I want, for as long as I want. AND, as stated in my post above, at IRS time, it works in my favor, because I'm not an idiot and know how to do my taxes and use what the IRS allows me to use.

The drivers that don't make money are drivers not even trying to make money. It's very hard not to make money with these gigs. Even very part time, because I do my own thing for income, and I mean maybe 2 days a week, I make close to $300 - very, very part time. I'm not in San Francisco, where it's really busy, I'm not in LA, also where it's really busy. Where I live, I was actually surprised that anyone even knew what Uber was - yet they do, and I can be busy for 10, 11, 12, 13 hours or more IF I want.

I do my own thing, and then I pick up the app and start driving. Sometimes I only do 2 or 3. Sometimes I do 9. Then I don't do anything at all for another handful of days. And yet, despite that very low amount of work, I'm bringing in almost $1200 in a city that is not as large as other cities where people could easily, easily make over $4-5 a month if they actually did the work and stopped being cry babies and actually working.

Throughout my working years, I've been an employee, I've been an IC, and I've been freelance. I've made the most money when I've been an IC - every time I've been an IC. Not even the cushy government jobs that I've had made me more than being an IC - because there's no limit to work. And yes, I do work more, but I also make a whole lot more, and I like the freedom of not being told when to come in, when to take a break, when to stop. I don't need someone to parent me while I work. I'd rather pay my own health insurance and have the freedom to make as much money as I want.

So, no, it's not "good".

Old Yesterday, 01:35 AM

5,702 posts, read 3,145,106 times
Should put amazon on this too. So Bezos can stop treating his employees like robots..

Old Yesterday, 01:45 AM

12,424 posts, read 4,243,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All in an effort to Unionize them and Put those Union dues right back into the very politicians pockets that pass this. UBER & LYFT are going to die fast in California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/1715578001/
The UK Courts and parts of Europe have already done this in relation to a lot of gig economy companies.

Old Yesterday, 01:46 AM

5 posts
Default California soon to classify UBER & LYft drivers as employees

Uber and Lyft drivers are currently classified as independent contractors, sometimes referred to as gig-workers, which means they don't get benefits including Social Security, health insurance, paid sick days and overtime. Many drivers say this system has led to exploitation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or