U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:26 AM

23,155 posts, read 17,126,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexluthor View Post
Uber and Lyft drivers are currently classified as independent contractors, sometimes referred to as gig-workers, which means they don't get benefits including Social Security, health insurance, paid sick days and overtime. Many drivers say this system has led to exploitation.
No one is being exploited. These are people who don't know how to make the most out of being an IC. You can't be lazy and whiny as an IC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 05:27 AM

30,477 posts, read 16,760,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexluthor View Post
Uber and Lyft drivers are currently classified as independent contractors, sometimes referred to as gig-workers, which means they don't get benefits including Social Security, health insurance, paid sick days and overtime. Many drivers say this system has led to exploitation.
Yes and all known beforehand.

Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM

13,330 posts, read 9,031,696 times
Once you're defined as an employee you lose arbitration rights and ability to decide when and where you can work. This means that they can dictate where and when you have to work and duration. If you don't work the min you lose full-time classification.

The rates will be limited too as they can simply pay $15-17/hr and make you drive for 40+ hrs and no limit on distance.

This is bad for Uber/Lyft drivers, they don't know what they're asking for. I would demand more autonomy and lower fees. Right now Uber/Lyft dictate way too much like who I have to pickup without my knowledge and where I must go without my approval.

My 2 demands are: Before pickup the picture identity and destination of passengers. Independent contractors should have the rights to conduct and refuse business just like cab drivers.

Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM

11,327 posts, read 2,967,758 times
This was bound to happen eventually, but I guarantee, someone else will come along that CAN run a profitable ride service company!

Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM

23,155 posts, read 17,126,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Once you're defined as an employee you lose arbitration rights and ability to decide when and where you can work. This means that they can dictate where and when you have to work and duration. If you don't work the min you lose full-time classification.

The rates will be limited too as they can simply pay $15-17/hr and make you drive for 40+ hrs and no limit on distance.

This is bad for Uber/Lyft drivers, they don't know what they're asking for. I would demand more autonomy and lower fees. Right now Uber/Lyft dictate way too much like who I have to pickup without my knowledge and where I must go without my approval.

My 2 demands are: Before pickup the picture identity and destination of passengers. Independent contractors should have the rights to conduct and refuse business just like cab drivers.
This is exactly right! These drivers who were whining about this have no idea what's about to happen, because they are stupid. They are going to make far less money than they did as an IC.

And then they'll start crying about that.

As for dictating - I don't drive people. I refuse to allow strangers into my car. Plus, my car is too old for either one for people. But I do the Uber Eats, and I will also be affected. Uber Eats does not "dictate" what order I take nor right to refuse.

Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM

253 posts, read 25,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
They are going to make far less money than they did as an IC.
And lose their freedom......that's what made that job so nice as a fill in job.....

Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM

19,266 posts, read 9,335,745 times
I guess they're going to have to consider Realtors employees also.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM

41 posts, read 8,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
All in an effort to Unionize them and Put those Union dues right back into the very politicians pockets that pass this. UBER & LYFT are going to die fast in California.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ll/1715578001/
Liberals hate personal choice. Force them all into unions, like it or not.

Unions are the most corrupt institutions ever and no longer serve interests of the workers

Old Yesterday, 10:27 AM

16,872 posts, read 4,420,594 times
It's about time that this "gig economy" and all the "contractors" stop being abused and taken.......

It's not exactly "personal choice" when there are almost no options.......and when you work for a company that can hire, fire, change your pay, etc.- guess what? YOU WORK FOR THEM....

This whole "contracting" mess is largely responsible for the dilemma of the middle class and even the upper middle class. It helped them all do away with pensions, benefits and continual employment (the corporations), while not serving the American Worker very well.

As far as American Unions, they are somewhat like what Sears told my Dad (my dad made stuff for Sears)

"You are the best vendor we have........but you suck!". In other words, Unions have created the 40 hour week, weekends off, child labor laws and many other good things. If we update Unions to be more like Germany or Japan we will be in much better shape.

Of course, some companies are more enlightened and do right by their employees. No Union needed.

Old Yesterday, 10:31 AM

16,872 posts, read 4,420,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This is exactly right! These drivers who were whining about this have no idea what's about to happen, because they are stupid. They are going to make far less money than they did as an IC.

And then they'll start crying about that.

As for dictating - I don't drive people. I refuse to allow strangers into my car. Plus, my car is too old for either one for people. But I do the Uber Eats, and I will also be affected. Uber Eats does not "dictate" what order I take nor right to refuse.
The problem, my friend, is that looked at in any reasonable way they are making ZERO money now. So they will lose more according to you?

Uber and Lyft should just go away if all their operations are financed by the money they took from investors (and they are now). That is, after this many years if you can't break even then the business models is exploitative of both the drivers and investors.

If those companies would have done what they NOW claim they are going to do ($21 an hour), we never would have gotten to this.

I always thought they were too cheap - they beat cab fares by over 50% in many cases with better service. Maybe if they just beat those fares by 1/3rd they'd have a valid business model?

Remember, the government makes up for low income...by giving subsidies for health insurance, etc.

I don't see why fellow Californians should fork out to keep Uber happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or