U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:34 AM

6,784 posts, read 2,507,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No, it's not. We are not "employees" because we don't have to answer to anyone. I don't have to make a schedule, I can work as long as I want, whenever I want. I don't want the "entitlements" because I can make MORE money as an IC than I can as an employee. As an employee, I have to take breaks, I can only work so much "overtime", I have to have a schedule and do not get to work on days off.

As an IC, again, I can work whenever I want, any day I want, for as long as I want. AND, as stated in my post above, at IRS time, it works in my favor, because I'm not an idiot and know how to do my taxes and use what the IRS allows me to use.

The drivers that don't make money are drivers not even trying to make money. It's very hard not to make money with these gigs. Even very part time, because I do my own thing for income, and I mean maybe 2 days a week, I make close to $300 - very, very part time. I'm not in San Francisco, where it's really busy, I'm not in LA, also where it's really busy. Where I live, I was actually surprised that anyone even knew what Uber was - yet they do, and I can be busy for 10, 11, 12, 13 hours or more IF I want.

I do my own thing, and then I pick up the app and start driving. Sometimes I only do 2 or 3. Sometimes I do 9. Then I don't do anything at all for another handful of days. And yet, despite that very low amount of work, I'm bringing in almost $1200 in a city that is not as large as other cities where people could easily, easily make over $4-5 a month if they actually did the work and stopped being cry babies and actually working.

Throughout my working years, I've been an employee, I've been an IC, and I've been freelance. I've made the most money when I've been an IC - every time I've been an IC. Not even the cushy government jobs that I've had made me more than being an IC - because there's no limit to work. And yes, I do work more, but I also make a whole lot more, and I like the freedom of not being told when to come in, when to take a break, when to stop. I don't need someone to parent me while I work. I'd rather pay my own health insurance and have the freedom to make as much money as I want.

So, no, it's not "good".
I have not heard this from a actual driver, but yes, sounds like a great gig, make me want to sign up, too I think there should be a way for drivers to choose then, if they want to stay a IC or be an employee. I could appreciate the freedom one has from driving whenever you wanted to and making good money at it, but I would be worried about having to pay for my own insurance and when we get older, it gets really expensive, scary expensive. If you have no problem with paying your own health insurance, that would really be big worry off of the mind. Also others said they would remove arbitration, so that was a big point, too. I didn't know that the one barrier to making good money was doing more driving and the others who don't make that much only work like part-time or a few hours, puts a new spin on things. Thank you for the perspective from a driver!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM

19,266 posts, read 9,335,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevelateTransform View Post
Liberals hate personal choice. Force them all into unions, like it or not.

Unions are the most corrupt institutions ever and no longer serve interests of the workers

And the consumer, who can least afford it, then pays the premium for Union Labor. The cost of Uber and Lyft will got up 30% at the minimum, at first. Maybe more. Only to finance another Union support solely of corrupt DEMOCRATS. This is why they want more union employees.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

23,155 posts, read 17,126,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
And lose their freedom......that's what made that job so nice as a fill in job.....
Yep. A lot of "stay at home moms" love this type of work because of the freedom to choose their hours, what days they will work, how long they will work....but, as per usual, people can only think of themselves and what they think they aren't getting, and never realize that they ruin it for so many others who needed that freedom to work when and where they wanted.

I'm not a stay at home mom, but it's also good for me. I had a 2 hour window between one piece of work I was doing and another piece of work I was going to do. So, time is money. I chose to spend an hour of that 2 hour window trying to make more money. I opened my app, I put myself "available", and I got 4 orders immediately. One hour later, I had $26.17, where I wouldn't have had that were I an employee because you don't get to pick and choose when and where you will work when you have a 2 hour window of doing nothing else. It was 26 in an hour, and people say, "they aren't even getting minimum wage!" Really?

And some people on here call this "good".

Unreal.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

11,327 posts, read 2,967,758 times
Quote:
This is exactly right! These drivers who were whining about this have no idea what's about to happen, because they are stupid. They are going to make far less money than they did as an IC.

And then they'll start crying about that.

As for dictating - I don't drive people. I refuse to allow strangers into my car. Plus, my car is too old for either one for people. But I do the Uber Eats, and I will also be affected. Uber Eats does not "dictate" what order I take nor right to refuse.
Uber eats was a good idea, but also not so good (from the company standpoint), anyone can do this, start their own 'food delivery service'.

There is a guy in my city, he used to drive a cab, and he lost alot of business when Uber came about, but he recently started advertising for his own 'delivery service', he basically does what Uber eats does, but he will deliver ANYTHING the customer wants, he charges a little bit less than Uber and he seems to be very busy these days!

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
I have not heard this from a actual driver, but yes, sounds like a great gig, make me want to sign up, too I think there should be a way for drivers to choose then, if they want to stay a IC or be an employee. I could appreciate the freedom one has from driving whenever you wanted to and making good money at it, but I would be worried about having to pay for my own insurance and when we get older, it gets really expensive, scary expensive. If you have no problem with paying your own health insurance, that would really be big worry off of the mind. Also others said they would remove arbitration, so that was a big point, too. I didn't know that the one barrier to making good money was doing more driving and the others who don't make that much only work like part-time or a few hours, puts a new spin on things. Thank you for the perspective from a driver!
If you talk to some over the road (OTR) truck drivers, you will hear this same complaint by some drivers, while other drivers are out there making a lot of money. It all depends on how much you put into it. If you (general 'you') are lazy, and picky, and whiny, you aren't going to make a lot of money, and yes, you need an employer to hold your hand through life.

If you are willing and ready to work as much as you want, any day, any time, you're going to make a lot of money. The fact that I can work - on average about 15 hours a week and pull in $300 without even trying tells me that those who are whining about this:

a) are lazy
b) are picky and miss all of the other jobs because they're sitting in a parking lot somewhere waiting for the "high paying job" before they'll budge even an inch.
c) have NO clue how to do the taxes at the end of the year. There's a reason these apps tell us to sign up for a mileage tracker - because the IRS allows your miles as a deduction. And the 2 times I've done this type of work - driving as an IC - I ended up not paying a single cent in fed tax because the deductions that the IRS gives us is really good.

So, now everyone is going to lose out because some people are lazy, whiny, picky, and stupid.

You will still see, on videos that some make on YouTube about their driving around for X company, some idiot in the comments carrying on about "wear and tear" and "price of gas". The IRS mileage deduction MORE than makes up for any money I had to put in my tank, any wear and tear on my vehicle. If you work hard enough, you will have so many miles that you will not owe any tax. Not during the year, not at the end of the year. But you're going to have to work for it.

You don't make money by sitting in a parking lot somewhere, or at home, picking and choosing what you want to take. You CAN refuse to take a rider. I can refuse to take an order. I never refuse.

These companies base things on your "acceptance rate". If you're constantly picking and choosing, your acceptance rate goes down, and you may not get as many jobs sent to you, and you may, eventually, be kicked off the platform. If you accept what is thrown at you, your acceptance rate stays high, you get more jobs sent to you. And bam, you make more money. Then you also have to have a high "on time" rate and customer feedback plays a part in it, as well. So, if you have a p*$$y, whiny attitude because you didn't medical benefits, your customer is going to see that and leave you negative feedback. If you're sitting at home or in some parking lot being picky about how far you will drive and how much you'll work for, you're going to be sitting in that parking lot while I'm out there making $26 in an hour - sometimes more than that. That was just an example from the other day.

No one exploited anyone. No one lied to anyone. People not understanding what it means to be an IC doesn't mean anyone exploited them or lied to them. It's because they are too stupid to find out what it means, and how it all works.

This happens in the trucking industry, as well. Some drivers take everything their dispatch sends them - all those horrible jobs that no one else wants to do. Well, guess what? When you do that, you reap the rewards later with a cushy job, higher paying jobs, and more jobs while the sour mouthed truckers sit in truck stops b*tching and whining about how they can't afford this bill or that bill and "this trucking company sucks!" and all other sorts of whining.

You make as much as you want to earn.

As an employee - that all gets taken away. You'll make far, far less - but hey, at least you got medical. (That you could have easily afforded on your own had you stayed an IC.)

Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM

I'm about to do an hour and a half of this gig work. I'll come back and tell you how many miles I drove, and how much I made, just to illustrate my point.

Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM

I worked an hour and a half:

Add the $5 in cash I got as a tip on my last delivery, it was 41.79 for an hour and a half.

That's $27.86 an hour.

The drivers are not going to make that per hour once they become employees. They are going to be sorry that they complained about being an Independent Contractor.

Oh, miles: 4 miles, 7 miles, 4 miles, and 6 miles. Total of: 21 miles. My needle hasn't even left the full line on my gas which I filled up right before I started.

That was one hour and a half. They would have kept throwing more at me if I hadn't signed out, but I have other things to do. You can be busy, all day long where I live - and again, it's not one of those bigger cities like San Fran or LA. So, if you average about $30 per hour, work 8 hours a day, do that 5 days a week, you can make, in this area, $3500-4000. Easily.

In the bigger cities, where they don't have such a stretched out area to drive around, and they average about 1 - 2 miles per delivery, they can make way more.

This will all come to a crashing halt because some of these people are lazy, whiny, and stupid. Congratulations to them.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

5,491 posts, read 1,515,910 times
I've been driving Uber and Lyft since Jan 2019. Some drivers have driven for them for longer, years in some cases.

One of the things I like about it, is that if I want to take a few hours off, or drive a 12-hour day, or wait till evening to drive at times etc., I can, and nobody hassles me. Plenty of other drivers to take up the slack.

Uber/Lyft have put a huge dent in the taxi industry, by being less expensive, usually as good or better quality.

This new Calif bill will reverse all that.

Why should passengers choose Uber when it becomes as expensive as a taxi?

Why should drivers want to drive for Uber/Lyft when we have to stick to a rigorous schedule, answer to any boss beyond the passengers themselves, etc.?

Old Yesterday, 08:46 PM

6,784 posts, read 2,507,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
I've been driving Uber and Lyft since Jan 2019. Some drivers have driven for them for longer, years in some cases.

One of the things I like about it, is that if I want to take a few hours off, or drive a 12-hour day, or wait till evening to drive at times etc., I can, and nobody hassles me. Plenty of other drivers to take up the slack.

Uber/Lyft have put a huge dent in the taxi industry, by being less expensive, usually as good or better quality.

This new Calif bill will reverse all that.

Why should passengers choose Uber when it becomes as expensive as a taxi?

Why should drivers want to drive for Uber/Lyft when we have to stick to a rigorous schedule, answer to any boss beyond the passengers themselves, etc.?
Quote:
I worked an hour and a half:

Add the $5 in cash I got as a tip on my last delivery, it was 41.79 for an hour and a half.

That's $27.86 an hour.

The drivers are not going to make that per hour once they become employees. They are going to be sorry that they complained about being an Independent Contractor.

Oh, miles: 4 miles, 7 miles, 4 miles, and 6 miles. Total of: 21 miles. My needle hasn't even left the full line on my gas which I filled up right before I started.

That was one hour and a half. They would have kept throwing more at me if I hadn't signed out, but I have other things to do. You can be busy, all day long where I live - and again, it's not one of those bigger cities like San Fran or LA. So, if you average about $30 per hour, work 8 hours a day, do that 5 days a week, you can make, in this area, $3500-4000. Easily.

In the bigger cities, where they don't have such a stretched out area to drive around, and they average about 1 - 2 miles per delivery, they can make way more.

This will all come to a crashing halt because some of these people are lazy, whiny, and stupid. Congratulations to them.
That is pretty good money! There is a lot of misinformation out there - people think that the drivers becoming employees would be good security and more benefits but sounds like it will limit what drivers can make and take away a lot of the liberties enjoyed as a IC. There should be an option for being a IC, but I don't know how they figure these things out, sounds like this employee plan will benefit the drivers who only work a few hours or part-time and not the drivers who work a lot more hours and making good money.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

1,553 posts, read 649,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
How much paid maternity leave do you believe should be legally mandated?
Personally, none.

But Trump and his liberal-big-government followers definitely disagree.

https://www.fox10phoenix.com/news/pr...d-family-leave

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/iva...aternity-leave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or